The global melon seeds market
was valued at US$ 695.3 Million in 2018, according to Global Melon Seeds Market Report, by Nature (Organic Melon Seeds and Conventional Melon Seeds), by Source, (Cantaloupe, Galia Melons, Watermelon, and Others (Yellow Melon and Others), by Farm Type (Farmland, Greenhouse, and Others (Hydroponics)), by Distribution Channel (Business to Business and Business to Consumer (Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Specialty Stores, and Online Channel)), by Season (Summer, Winter, Autumn, and Spring), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa) published by
The global melon seeds market is expected to reach US$ 1,004.7 Million by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period. Increasing demand for healthier and low fat food is expected to fuel demand for melons and further expected to fuel growth of the global melon seeds market over the forecast period. Melon has high water content and lower fat content, which in turn makes it a healthy food type and has led to increasing melon consumption in the form of juices, salads, and smoothies.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 25 market data tables* and 15 figures* on "Melon Seeds Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Melon Seeds Market:
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Melon seeds are available in the market as hybrid melon seeds and as open pollinated melon seeds. In hybrid seeds, genome of the original seed is altered, in order to incorporate desired characteristics such as pest resistance and draught resistance in seed. Hybrid seeds are expected to gain major traction over the forecast period, owing to benefits offered by hybrid seeds such as high yield potential and disease resistance. For instance, Johnny's Selected Seeds, a U.S. based seed company, offers Hannah's Choice (F1) hybrid melon seed variety which offers disease resistance against Fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, and powdery mildew.
- Players operating in the global melon seeds market are focused on offering novel hybrid seeds, in order to attract consumer base. For instance, NE Seed Commercial and Garden Seed Company, a U.S.-based seed company, offers a variety of hybrid melon seeds such as Fortune F1 Hybrid Melon Seeds', ‘Double Dew PMT F1 Hybrid Melon Seeds’, ‘Lilly PMT F1 Hybrid Melon Seeds’, and ‘Goldilocks F1 Hybrid Melon Seeds’ among others.
- Among regions, North America is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period, owing to increasing demand for melons in the region. For instance, according to the report, ‘Agricultural Statistics 2017’, published by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Agricultural Statistics Service data in 2017, production of watermelons was pegged at 33,263 thousand cwt in 2014 in the U.S., which increased to reach 35,475 thousand cwt in 2015, and reached 40,125 thousand cwt in 2016. Therefore, increased melon demand is expected to propel growth of global melon seeds market in the region over the forecast period.
- Furthermore, emerging applications of melon seeds such as using melon seed oil for synthesis of diesel is expected to create growth opportunities for players operating in the global melon seeds market. For instance, according to an article titled ‘Muskmelon (Cucumis melo) seed oil: A potential non-food oil source for biodiesel production’ published by the Journal of Energy in 2011, muskmelon seed oil has potential to be used as raw material for production of biodiesel. In this study, muskmelon seed oil was successfully converted to biodiesel, which complied with regulations of biodiesel such as ASTM D 6751 and EN 14214 standards.
- Major players operating in the global melon seeds market include, Bayer Group, BASF SE, Groupe Limagrain, Syngenta, AG, Advanta Seeds, Sakata Seed Corporation, Semillas Fitó, SA, Yüksel Tohum A.Ş, Johnny's Selected Seeds, and Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.