The Global Mozzarella Cheese Market was valued at US$ 36.7 BN in 2022, according to Mozzarella Cheese Market Report, by Form (Shredded, Slices, Blocks, and Cubes), by Milk Source (Buffalo, Cow, Sheep, and Goat), by Application (Commercial Use and Residential Use), by Distribution Channel (B2B (Business to Business) and (B2C (Business to Consumer) (Hypermarkets and Supermarkets, Departmental Stores & Convenience Stores, and Online Stores)), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The global mozzarella cheese market is projected to reach US$ 56.9 BN by 2030, exhibiting a CAGR of 6.46% during the forecast period. The increasing use of mozzarella cheese in pizzas and pasta is fuelling the growth of the global mozzarella cheese market. Furthermore, increasing manufacturing of low-fat organic mozzarella cheese is also driving the growth of the market. Many of the key companies are participating to drive the global mozzarella cheese market. For instance, Sargento Foods, Inc. is a cheese manufacturing company based in Wisconsin in the U.S. The company manufactures custom made cheese for restaurants, and sliced, diced, and shredded cheese for supermarkets. Sargento Foods, Inc. was founded by Leonard Gentine in 1949. It was his passion for cheese that inspired him to start his cheese business. In 1953, Joseph Sartori became a partner, and the two formed the Sargento Cheese Company. Sargento Foods Incorporated offers shredded, reduced fat, low moisture mozzarella cheese that is prepared from pasteurized reduced fat milk. However, stringent government regulations related to cheese manufacturing, and quality maintenance is expected to restrain the growth of the mozzarella cheese market. For instance, according to the European Commission, E. coli content of >1,000 colony forming units (cfu)/g is unsatisfactory in cheese made from milk or whey that has undergone heat treatment.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 65 market data tables* and 48 figures* on "Global Mozzarella Cheese Market” - Global forecast to 2030.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Mozzarella Cheese Market:
- Among forms, the shredded segment accounted for a significant market share in 2022, in the global mozzarella cheese market. Block mozzarella cheese is the original form of cheese, which can be shredded and is, therefore, cheaper than shredded cheese. Moreover, this form of cheese has a lower chance of adulteration.
- Among distribution channel, B2B (Business to Business) segment is expected to exhibit substantial growth during the forecast period, owing to increasing demand for mozzarella cheese from restaurants, cafes, and other pizza or pasta outlets. Such commercial institutions prefer purchasing bulk raw materials and are therefore inclined towards wholesale stores for purchasing goods.
- Increasing number of Quick Service Restaurants (QSRs) such as Domino’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Hut, and California Pizza Kitchen is also expected to lead to high demand for commercial mozzarella cheese during the forecast period. For instance, in the first quarter of 2018, Domino's Pizza, Inc. had approximately 15,000 stores worldwide with 5,649 stores in the U.S.; 1,232 stores in India; and 1,094 stores in the U.K.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- North America accounted for the largest market share of 39.30% in 2022, in the global mozzarella cheese market. This is attributed to the increasing commercial demand for mozzarella cheese. For instance, according to the U.S. Dairy Export Council, in 2020 the U.S. accounted for over 70, 120 pizza purveyors and pizza is also considered as the single biggest application of cheese in food service restaurants. Therefore, increasing commercial demand for mozzarella cheese is expected to boost growth of the market in North America during the forecast period.
- Key players operating in the global mozzarella cheese market are focusing on mergers and acquisitions to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in June 2015, GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft (a food processing equipment manufacturing company) acquired an Italy-based company, CMT S.p.A, which is a supplier of equipment and production lines for fresh mozzarella and pizza cheese. Moreover, in March 2017, Tetra Pak International S.A. acquired Johnson Industries International, a company that designs, develops, and manufactures equipment and lines for mozzarella cheese production.
- Major players operating in the global mozzarella cheese market include The Kraft Heinz Company, Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited, Groupe Lactalis S.A., Grande Cheese Company, Arla Foods Inc., BelGioioso Cheese Inc., Granarolo S.p.A, Saputo Cheese USA Inc., Sargento Foods Inc., and Organic Valley