The global mozzarella cheese market
was valued at US$ 33.09 billion in 2018, according to Mozzarella Cheese Market Report, by Form (Shredded, Slices, Blocks, and Cubes), by Milk Source (Buffalo, Cow, Sheep, and Goat), by Application (Commercial Use and Residential Use), by Distribution Channel (B2B (Business to Business) and (B2C (Business to Consumer) (Hypermarkets and Supermarkets, Departmental Stores & Convenience Stores, and Online Stores)), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa), published by
The global mozzarella cheese market is projected to reach US$ 51.50 billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period. Increasing use of mozzarella cheese in pizzas and pastas is fueling growth of the mozzarella cheese market. Furthermore, increasing manufacture of low fat organic mozzarella cheese is also driving growth of the market. For instance, Sargento Foods Incorporated offers shredded, reduced fat, low moisture mozzarella cheese that is prepared from pasteurized reduced fat milk.
However, stringent government regulations related to cheese manufacturing, and quality maintenance is expected to restrain growth of the mozzarella cheese market. For instance, according to the European Commission, E. coli content of >1,000 colony forming units (cfu)/g is unsatisfactory in cheese made from milk or whey that has undergone heat treatment.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 65 market data tables* and 48 figures* on "Mozzarella Cheese Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Mozzarella Cheese Market:
- Among forms, the blocks segment accounted for a significant market share in 2018, in the global mozzarella cheese market. Block mozzarella cheese is the original form of cheese, which can be shredded and is therefore cheaper than shredded cheese. Moreover, this form of cheese has a lower chance of adulteration.
- Among distribution channel, B2B (Business to Business) segment is expected to exhibit substantial growth during the forecast period, owing to increasing demand for mozzarella cheese from restaurants, cafes, and other pizza or pasta outlets. Such commercial institutions prefer purchasing bulk raw materials and are therefore inclined towards wholesale stores for purchasing goods.
- Increasing number of Quick Service Restaurants (QSRs) such as Domino’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Hut, and California Pizza Kitchen is also expected to lead to high demand for commercial mozzarella cheese during the forecast period. For instance, in the first quarter of 2018, Domino's Pizza, Inc. had approximately 15,000 stores worldwide with 5,649 stores in the U.S.; 1,232 stores in India; and 1,094 stores in the U.K.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- North America accounted for the largest market share of 37.51% in 2018, in the global mozzarella cheese market. This is attributed to increasing commercial demand for mozzarella cheese. For instance, according to the U.S. Dairy Export Council, in 2018, the U.S. accounted for over 70,000 pizza purveyors and pizza is also considered as the single biggest application of cheese in food service restaurants. Therefore, increasing commercial demand for mozzarella cheese is expected to boost growth of the market in North America during the forecast period.
- Key players operating in the mozzarella cheese market are focusing on mergers and acquisitions to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in June 2015, GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft (a food processing equipment manufacturing company) acquired an Italy-based company, CMT S.p.A, which is a supplier of equipment and production lines for fresh mozzarella and pizza cheese. Moreover, in March 2017, Tetra Pak International S.A. acquired Johnson Industries International, a company that designs, develops, and manufactures equipment and lines for mozzarella cheese production.
- Major players operating in the global mozzarella cheese market include, The Kraft Heinz Company, Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited, Groupe Lactalis S.A., Grande Cheese Company, Arla Foods Inc., BelGioioso Cheese Inc., Granarolo S.p.A, Saputo Cheese USA Inc., Sargento Foods Inc., and Organic Valley