The Global Pemetrexed Market
, by Strength (100 mg and 500 mg), by Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa),
was valued at US$ 2,062.5 Mn
in 2017, and is projected to exhibit a CAGR of 1.3%
during the forecast period (2018–2026), as highlighted in a new report published by .
Approval and launch of affordable generic of Pemetrexed in the market, which is expected to increase its adoption and drive global pemetrexed market growth. Alimta is a patented drug of Eli Lilly and Company, it has vitamin regimen patent in the U.S. and Europe up to 2021 and pediatric exclusivity in the U.S. up to 2022.
However, patent for compound of Alimta expired in the U.S. in January 2017, and expired in major European countries and Japan in December 2015. Hence, key players in the market have developed and gained approval for generic versions of Alimta in key regions.
For instance, in 2017, Eagle Pharmaceuticals Inc. received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for its diluted version of Eli Lilly and Co’s blockbuster cancer drug Alimta.
Launch of generic versions of Pemetrexed is expected to increase the affordability of drugs as generic drugs are cost effective. However, it is projected to affect the revenues to Eli Lilly and Company’s branded drug over the forecast period.
Eli Lilly and Company is dedicated to expand the indication of Alimta (Pemetrexed), such expansion of indication is expected to support global Pemetrexed market growth.
For instance, in 2012, Alimta received the FDA approval, as maintenance therapy for locally advanced or metastatic NSCLC, following initial ALIMTA-plus-cisplatin treatment for locally advanced or metastatic nonsquamous NSCLC. In 2018, ALIMTA received FDA approval for an additional indication for the combination with carboplatin plus pembrolizumab as first-line treatment for metastatic nonsquamous NSCLC, irrespective of PD-L1 expression status
Browse 18 Market Data Tables and 20 Figures spread through 130 Pages and in-depth TOC on Global Pemetrexed Market, by Strength (100 mg and 500 mg), by Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies), and Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) - Global Forecast to 2026
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in the Pemetrexed market, click the link below:
Alimta is a patented drug of Eli Lilly and Company, hence Eli Lilly and Company is delicately working to prevent the launch of generic version of Alimta in key region such as U.S. from where Alimta generates about 50% of its revenue.
For instance, in June 2018, Eli Lilly and Company got a favorable result from U.S. District Court and prevented Hospira Inc. and India’s Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories from launching generic version of Alimta until the patent expires in 2022.
Key Takeaways of the Pemetrexed Market:
- The global Pemetrexed market is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 1.3% during the forecast period (2018 – 2026), owing approval and launch of affordable generic of pemetrexed in the market, which is expected to increase its adoption.
- North America is expected to account for major market share in global pemetrexed market, owing to high prevalence of non-small cell lung cancer and its high treatment rate.
- Launch of generic version of Pemetrexed in Germany by STADAPHARM GmbH in July 2018, is expected to increase the affordability of drug in region. However, it will affect the revenue of Eli Lilly and Company branded drug Alimta
- Eli Lilly and Company, the patent holder of Alimta is dedicated to prevent the launch of generic version of Alimta in key regions to hold major share in market.
- Major players operating in the global Pemetrexed market include Eli Lilly and Company, Stada Arzneimittel AG, Eagle Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Others