The Global Oncology Information Systems Market size is expected to reach US$ 13.86 Billion by 2030, from US$ 8.19 Billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 7.8% during the forecast period.
Oncology information systems are specialized healthcare IT solutions designed specifically for oncology departments and practices. They capture, store and manage key information related to cancer patients at every stage of their care journey. Oncology information systems integrate with various technologies like EHRs, radiology information systems, treatment planning systems and revenue cycle management solutions to enable efficient workflows. The major drivers of the oncology information systems market include rising cancer prevalence, need for integrated healthcare IT systems, government initiatives for EHR adoption and investments in healthcare IT infrastructure.
The Global Oncology Information Systems Market is segmented by type, application, end-user and region. By type, the patient information systems segment accounted for the largest share of the market in 2022. Patient information systems store and manage patient health records and aid in treatment planning and clinical workflow optimization. Their adoption is driven by the need for accurate patient data tracking and care coordination across multidisciplinary teams.
Global Oncology Information Systems Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Global Oncology Information Systems Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 39.3% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to favorable government policies, high adoption of EHRs, advanced healthcare IT infrastructure and high cancer prevalence.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for Global Oncology Information Systems Market, accounting for over 28.2% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in is attributed to developed healthcare IT infrastructure, increasing cancer cases and investments in oncology informatics.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Global Oncology Information Systems Market, with a CAGR of over 22.5% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to improving healthcare infrastructure, rising disposable incomes and increasing awareness about oncology information systems.
Figure 1. Global Oncology Information Systems Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Global Oncology Information Systems Market Drivers:
- Rising prevalence of cancer globally: The rising prevalence of cancer across the globe is a major factor driving the growth of the oncology information systems market. With increasing cancer incidence rates, the patient pool undergoing diagnosis and treatment for various cancers has expanded significantly. This has created an urgent need for robust oncology informatics platforms that can efficiently capture and manage information throughout the care continuum to improve outcomes. Oncology information systems aid in tracking real-time patient data, care coordination, treatment planning and clinical research in cancer care. Their adoption is rising rapidly in line with the growing cancer burden worldwide.
- Need for integrated healthcare IT platforms: Healthcare providers are increasingly looking to integrate their disparate healthcare IT systems and medical devices onto unified platforms to enable seamless workflows and care coordination. Oncology information systems serve as centralized hubs that can consolidate key patient data from diverse systems including EHRs, RIS, PACS, monitoring devices, etc. By linking clinical, operational, administrative and financial data, these systems provide a 360-degree view of patient information to optimize care delivery across multidisciplinary teams involved in cancer treatment. Their ability to unify data is driving adoption across cancer centers and hospitals.
- Favorable government policies: Government regulations and incentive programs to promote adoption of advanced healthcare IT solutions are catalyzing the oncology information systems market growth. For instance, laws mandating or encouraging EHR implementation in many countries are providing impetus to these systems as they can integrate tightly with existing EHRs. Favorable reimbursement policies for cancer therapies supported by robust informatics are also driving the deployment of these solutions across clinical settings.
- Expanding personalized medicine: The emergence of precision medicine and molecular profiling is creating demand for advanced oncology informatics platforms. As cancer treatment becomes more targeted with the use of biomarkers and genomic testing, oncology information systems are required to collect, analyze and exchange high volumes of patient molecular data to enable personalized therapy decisions. Their workflow automation and analytics capabilities are invaluable in the expanding precision oncology space.
Global Oncology Information Systems Market Opportunities:
- Cloud-based solutions: The availability of cloud-based oncology information system solutions opens new growth opportunities in the market. Cloud-based systems offer various advantages like lower upfront costs, scalability, easier upgrades and 24/7 accessibility to data. As healthcare providers of all sizes look to leverage the cloud’s economies of scale and agility, adoption of cloud-based oncology informatics solutions is expected to rise. This provides significant growth opportunities for vendors in the space.
- Artificial intelligence: Incorporating AI and machine learning capabilities within oncology information systems unlocks new opportunities for data-driven insights and clinical efficiency. AI can automate mundane tasks, enable predictive analytics, personalized treatment recommendations and streamline reporting. As AI adoption gains momentum in healthcare, integration with oncology informatics platforms will become imperative. This creates substantial opportunities for advanced AI-powered solutions.
- Improving IT infrastructure in emerging markets: Emerging countries are currently investing heavily in health IT infrastructure development including implementation of EHR systems, data analytics tools and care coordination platforms. This improving IT landscape coupled with rising cancer burden in developing economies is creating massive opportunities for oncology information system vendors. Local partnerships and tailored solutions focused on emerging markets will be key growth strategies.
- mHealth integration: Seamless integration with mHealth apps and wearable devices provides significant growth opportunities for oncology information systems. Patients can self-report symptoms, medication intake, vital parameters etc. through mHealth solutions integrated with these systems, enabling remote patient monitoring. As telehealth gains momentum, integration opportunities will expand driving adoption of interoperable systems.
Global Oncology Information Systems Market Trends:
- Big data analytics: Oncology information systems are increasingly leveraging big data analytics and predictive tools to derive population health insights from vast amounts of patient data. Big data analytics aid in developing targeted therapies, predicting treatment outcomes and devising optimal care pathways tailored to each cancer patient. As analytics gains significance in data-driven oncology care, integration with informatics platforms will be a key trend.
- Patient engagement solutions: To improve care coordination and patient outcomes, oncology information systems are converging with patient engagement platforms providing customized education, symptom tracking, remote access to records, self-scheduling and more. Enabling patients’ active participation in their care through engagement solutions integrated with oncology informatics will be crucial.
- Interoperability focus: A major technology trend is the increased focus on interoperability and standards-based data sharing between oncology information systems and other hospital IT systems. Seamless bidirectional data exchange between oncology informatics, diagnostic systems, medical devices, research databases, registries and EHRs is critical for coordinated care. Advancing interoperability is a key trend.
- Workflow automation: Oncology information systems are leveraging emerging technologies like AI, blockchain and IoT to enable greater workflow automation - from clinical trial management to radiation dose tracking. By reducing administrative overheads and manual errors, workflow automation delivers productivity gains for healthcare organizations. It is a major technology trend in this space.
Global Oncology Information Systems Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 8.19 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 13.86 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Type: Patient Information Systems, Treatment Planning Systems, Consulting Services, Implementation Services, Post-sales & Maintenance Services, Others
- By Application: Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Others
- By End User: Hospitals & Oncology Clinics, Research Centers, Government Institutions, Others
Cerner Corporation, Elekta, Accuray, RaySearch Laboratories, Flatiron Health, Koninklijke Philips N.V., McKesson Corporation, Epic Systems Corporation, CureMD Healthcare, Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
- Rising prevalence of cancer globally
- Need for integrated healthcare IT platforms
- Favorable government policies
- Expanding personalized medicine
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Data privacy and security concerns
- Interoperability challenges
- High upfront costs
Global Oncology Information Systems Market Restraints:
- Data privacy and security concerns: Patient data privacy and security concerns associated with digital oncology records is a major restraint to adoption of these systems. As systems capture sensitive patient information, concerns around cyberattacks, data breaches and unauthorized access persist. Lack of skilled staff and IT security infrastructure pose challenges for healthcare providers to fully embrace oncology informatics solutions.
- Interoperability challenges: Lack of interoperability and data exchange standards is a key barrier hampering integration of oncology information systems with other health IT systems like RIS, EHRs, billing solutions etc. Disparate vendor systems and unstructured data make interoperability difficult. This hinders efficient bi-directional data sharing between oncology informatics platforms and other solutions.
- High upfront costs: The significant upfront costs of oncology information systems - including software, hardware, implementation, training and maintenance – make adoption prohibitive for many smaller clinics and healthcare centers. Many are reluctant to invest in these expensive solutions and prefer traditional paper-based records. Capital expenditure costs coupled with budget constraints impede the growth of the oncology informatics market.
New product launches:
- In March 2022, Elekta launched MOSAIQ Plaza, an oncology-specific patient engagement platform. It enables personalized patient care and coordination across care teams.
- In January 2021, RaySearch Laboratories released RayCare 5A, the latest version of its oncology information system. It introduces automation capabilities to optimize workflows.
- In November 2020, Cerner launched HealtheLife, a patient engagement platform integrated with its oncology EHR system. It offers remote access to care teams.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In October 2022, Elekta partnered with Palantir Technologies to integrate its Foundry platform with Elekta's oncology informatics portfolio. This will enable advanced data analytics.
- In May 2021, Philips acquired Cedars-Sinai's oncology information systems business. This expanded Philips' oncology informatics capabilities.
- In March 2020, RaySearch acquired RayIntelligence, a software startup offering oncology analytics and artificial intelligence solutions. This strengthened RaySearch's oncology informatics offerings.
Figure 2. Global Oncology Information Systems Market Share (%), by Applications, 2023
Top companies in Global Oncology Information Systems Market:
- Cerner Corporation
- RaySearch Laboratories
- Flatiron Health
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- McKesson Corporation
- Epic Systems Corporation
- CureMD Healthcare
- Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
*Definition: Oncology information systems are specialized healthcare IT solutions designed specifically for oncology departments, practices and research centers. They capture, store and manage key clinical, administrative, financial and research data related to cancer patients across the care continuum. Oncology information systems integrate with EHRs, medical imaging systems and revenue cycle management platforms to optimize workflows. They aid in treatment planning, clinical documentation, care coordination, outcomes analysis and cancer research. With rising cancer prevalence and emphasis on value-based patient-centric care, adoption of oncology information systems is increasing globally.
Few Other Promising Reports in Healthcare IT Industry
Interventional Oncology Solutions Market
Patient Temperature Monitoring Market
Patient Monitoring Devices Market