The global Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment market size was valued at US$ 187.05 billion in 2023 and is expected to reach US$ 283.11 billion by 2030, grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.1% from 2023 to 2030. Hyperthermia cancer treatment involves raising the temperature of a tumor to damage and kill cancer cells. It is used along with other cancer treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy. The major advantage of hyperthermia treatment is that it increases blood flow and oxygen to the tumor area, making chemotherapy and radiation more effective.
The Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market is segmented by treatment type, device type, application, end user, and region. By treatment type, the market is segmented into local hyperthermia, regional hyperthermia, whole-body hyperthermia, and others. Local hyperthermia is expected to account for the largest market share during the forecast period. This is attributed to its ability to heat small and deep tumors in a focused manner.
Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Regional Insights
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 40% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high adoption of advanced hyperthermia devices, increasing prevalence of cancer, and growing awareness about hyperthermia therapy.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market, accounting for over 35% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in is attributed to the rising healthcare expenditure, presence of leading device manufacturers, and increasing clinical trials to study hyperthermia.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market, with a CAGR of over 20% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the large target patient population, improving healthcare infrastructure, and focus of key players in emerging APAC countries.
Figure 1. Global Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Drivers:
- Increasing prevalence of cancer worldwide: The rising prevalence of various types of cancers such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer, and skin cancer is a major factor driving the hyperthermia cancer treatment market. The increasing patient pool is creating significant demand for advanced and effective cancer treatment methods like hyperthermia therapy. Hyperthermia is increasingly being used along with chemotherapy and radiation therapy to improve outcomes. The growing disease burden is therefore fueling the adoption of hyperthermia devices.
- Rising awareness about hyperthermia therapy: There is increasing awareness among oncologists and patients about the ability of hyperthermia therapy to enhance the effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Extensive research validating the benefits of hyperthermia and its ability to improve tumor oxygenation is driving its acceptance in clinical settings. Conferences, symposiums, and workshops aimed at increasing awareness are catalyzing market growth. Social media campaigns by manufacturers, cancer foundations, and healthcare providers are also boosting awareness.
- Strong product pipeline and new product launches: Key players in the hyperthermia cancer treatment market are continuously launching innovative devices to strengthen their product portfolios. Andromedic's Adrovance Multifield Generator enables both capacitive and radiative superficial hyperthermia. The launch of advanced microwave, ultrasound, infrared hyperthermia devices is expected to further propel market growth during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements in hyperthermia devices: The integration of technologies such as MRI thermometry, advanced heat delivery techniques, and real-time temperature monitoring in hyperthermia devices is enhancing selective tumor heating while protecting surrounding healthy tissues. The emergence of improved capacitive and radiative heating to achieve higher tumor temperatures is also a key driver. Further, the development of minimally invasive techniques like interstitial and intracavitary hyperthermia are expanding clinical applications.
Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Opportunities:
- Growing popularity of nanoparticle-mediated hyperthermia: The use of magnetic nanoparticles and gold nanorods for localized tumor hyperthermia is rising rapidly. Nanoparticles act as precise localized heat sources due to their ability to absorb particular wavelengths. Extensive R&D focused on improving the biocompatibility, tumor targeting efficiency, and heating abilities of nanoparticles is underway. The significant potential of this non-invasive targeted approach provides lucrative growth opportunities.
- Combination therapy with existing cancer treatments: The synergistic effects of hyperthermia therapy with chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and immunotherapy are being increasingly studied through preclinical and clinical trials. Combination with existing cancer treatments is proving effective in reducing tumor size and improving patient survival. The expanding clinical evidence regarding enhanced outcomes will present attractive opportunities for market growth.
- Emerging applications in immunotherapy: Research focused on exploiting the immunomodulatory effects of hyperthermia is rising. Hyperthermia is being studied as an immunotherapy enhancer using approaches like hyperthermia-triggered oncolytic virus delivery, hyperthermia-induced heat shock protein production, and by improving dendritic cell activation. The potential of hyperthermia to stimulate anti-tumor immune responses will open up growth avenues.
- Growing demand in developing regions: The hyperthermia cancer treatment market has significant expansion opportunities in developing regions like China, India, Brazil, and Southeast Asia. The increasing prevalence of cancer, improving healthcare infrastructure, rising disposable incomes and healthcare spending in these regions is expected to drive adoption of hyperthermia therapy. Local players are also launching affordable products to tap the large underserved patient pool.
Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 187.05 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 283.11 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Treatment Type: Local Hyperthermia, Regional Hyperthermia, Whole Body Hyperthermia, Others
- By Device Type: Hyperthermia Device, Ablation Devices, Microwave Hyperthermia Device, Ultrasound Hyperthermia Device, Infrared Hyperthermia Device, Short-wave Hyperthermia Device, Others
- By Application: Prostate Cancer, Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Skin Cancer, Other Cancers
- By End User: Hospitals, Clinics, Research Institutes, Others
MagForce AG, Andromedic, Xianke Medical Equipment, OncoTherm, Celsius42+, Oncotherm, Pyrexar Medical, Yamamoto Vinita, Nanoprobes, Alba Hyperthermia System, Nova Company, Perseon, Omron, Sunny Medical Equipment, OrienTech, BSD Medical, Sensius, Celsius42, Nanjing Greathope, Shanghai Huayuan
- Increasing prevalence of cancer worldwide
- Rising awareness about hyperthermia therapy
- Strong product pipeline and new product launches
- Technological advancements in hyperthermia devices
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High costs of hyperthermia systems
- Skin burns and discomfort
- Shortage of trained personnel
Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Trends:
- Integration with advanced imaging techniques: The integration of hyperthermia systems with advanced 3D imaging techniques like CT, MRI, and PET scans is rising. Imaging allows accurate tumor localization, treatment planning, and real-time temperature monitoring to ensure safe thermal dose delivery. Imaging coupled with hyperthermia improves targeting and reduces side effects, driving its adoption. Vendors are increasingly integrating imaging capabilities in their systems.
- Development of deep hyperthermia devices: New hyperthermia devices are being developed to safely induce therapeutic heating in deep-seated tumors. Techniques like 3D-focused ultrasound, phased-array microwave systems, advanced RF applicators are being adopted for deep heating. For instance, the Sonotherm 1000 focused ultrasound device by Sensius enables conformal heating of deep tumors. The trend of non-invasive deep hyperthermia is expected to continue.
- Emergence of MRI-guided hyperthermia systems: MRI-guided hyperthermia therapy is an emerging trend enabling accurate thermometry and temperature control during treatments. MRI provides real-time thermal maps of the tumor and surrounding normal tissue. Companies like Pyrexar Medical offer the BSD-2000 MRI-guided hyperthermia system providing optimized electromagnetic energy delivery. The rising availability of MRI-compatible systems will support market growth.
- Growing number of clinical trials: Many clinical studies are underway to evaluate the safety, efficacy, and optimal protocols of hyperthermia therapy for different cancer types and stages. Trials are also focused on studying combination therapies, establishing thermal dose thresholds, and quantifying therapeutic synergy. The increasing clinical evidence from trials regarding improved patient outcomes is expected to increase acceptance among clinicians and patients.
Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Restraints:
- High costs of hyperthermia systems: Hyperthermia systems involve high upfront costs ranging from USD 150,000 to USD 500,000. Additional costs are incurred for annual maintenance contracts. The low awareness and lack of reimbursement for hyperthermia therapy in several countries has restrained adoption by small clinics and hospitals with budget constraints. This acts as a key challenge, especially in developing regions.
- Skin burns and discomfort: The adverse effects of hyperthermia like skin burns, substantial pain, and discomfort have limited its adoption for cancer treatment. Technological constraints preventing uniform heating of tumor tissues also increase side effects. High temperatures can damage surrounding healthy tissues and increase toxicity when used along with other modalities. These factors have hindered market growth.
- Shortage of trained personnel: The procedure requires trained oncologists, technicians, physicists, and nurses skilled in operating and maintaining the hyperthermia devices. However, many regions face a significant shortage of personnel trained in hyperthermia therapy protocols and procedures. The lack of expertise in performing safe and effective hyperthermia procedures has negatively impacted adoption.
New product launches
- In January 2021, Pyrexar Medical received FDA approval for the BSD-2000 Hyperthermia System for use in oncology. The system provides optimized electromagnetic and ultrasound heating to target tumors.
- In June 2022, Perseon launched the MicroThermX Microwave Ablation System for treating tumors. It features a high-power generator and slender microwave antennas to ablate tumors.
- In April 2020, Medica received CFDA approval for the Celsius42+ Regional Hyperthermia System for cancer treatment in China. It enables targeted heating of tumor tissue with minimal damage to surrounding healthy tissue.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In January 2022, JW Therapeutics acquired exclusive rights from MedCom to distribute the BSD-2000 Hyperthermia System in China. This strengthened JW's hyperthermia therapy offerings in China.
- In October 2020, Halyard Capital acquired 19.9% stake in Oncothermia, a leading hyperthermia device manufacturer. This supported Oncothermia's expansion plans in the US and Germany.
- In December 2019, Pyrexar Medical and CivaTech Oncology formed a strategic partnership to promote combined use of hepatic microwave ablation and hyperthermia treatment. This expanded treatment options for patients.
Figure 2. Global Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market Share (%), By Application, 2023
Top companies in Hyperthermia Cancer Treatment Market
- MagForce AG
- Pyrexar Medical
- Yamamoto Vinita
- Alba Hyperthermia System
- Nova Company
- Sunny Medical Equipment
- BSD Medical
- Nanjing Greathope
- Shanghai Huayuan
- Xianke Medical Equipment
Definition: Hyperthermia cancer treatment involves raising tumor temperature between 40-45°C using energy sources like microwaves, radiofrequency, and ultrasound. It makes cancer cells more susceptible to damage by inhibiting DNA repair and increasing blood flow/oxygenation. Hyperthermia enhances the effects of radiotherapy and chemotherapy without excessive damage to normal tissue. It can be used alone or along with other cancer treatments. Hyperthermia devices include microwave, ultrasound, infrared, and capacitive heating devices used to apply heat to tumors and damage cancer cells.
Few other promising reports in Clinical Diagnostic Industry
Anal Fissure Treatment Market
PCOS diagnostic Market
Chemiluminescence Immunoassay Market
Cancer Diagnostics Market