The Lawn & Garden Equipment Market size is expected to reach US$ 42.32 billion by 2030, from US$ 29.48 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 5.3% during the forecast period. Lawn and garden equipment includes various machineries such as lawn mowers, chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, and snow throwers used for landscaping residential and commercial landscapes. The growing adoption of sustainable green spaces and increasing DIY activities are key factors driving the lawn & garden equipment market growth.
The Lawn & Garden Equipment Market is segmented by equipment type, end user, power source, distribution channel, and region. By equipment type, the market is segmented into lawn mower, chainsaw, trimmers, blowers, tillers, snow throwers, and others. The lawn mower segment accounts for the largest share of the market owing to the high adoption of walk-behind and robotic lawn mowers for maintaining residential and commercial lawns.
Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Lawn & Garden Equipment Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 35.2% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the expanding landscaping industry and increasing adoption of green spaces.
- Europe is the second-largest market for lawn and garden equipment. The market is fragmented, with a number of regional and global players competing for market share 29.97%. Key factors driving the growth of the lawn and garden equipment market in Europe include increasing urbanization, growing awareness of the importance of green spaces, and rising disposable incomes.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Lawn & Garden Equipment Market, with a CAGR of over 5.2% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to rising disposable incomes and increasing demand for landscaping services.
Figure 1. Global Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Drivers:
- Growing adoption of sustainable green spaces: The growing adoption of sustainable green spaces such as green roofs, vertical gardens, and green walls in residential and commercial buildings is a key factor driving the lawn & garden equipment market growth. Urban planners and architects are increasingly incorporating green spaces into building design to enhance aesthetics, improve air quality, and reduce ambient temperatures. The proliferation of green buildings and spaces is resulting in high demand for landscaping tools and equipment like trimmers, pruners, tillers, and lawnmowers for installation and maintenance activities. Professional landscapers are widely using advanced robotic mowers and AI-based turf management solutions for large green spaces.
- Growth of landscaping industry: The professional landscaping services industry has witnessed steady growth over the past few years driven by economic growth and rising greening and gardening activities. The growing number of mega-projects and large-scale landscaping contracts for commercial properties, sports stadiums, hotels, corporate campuses is generating high demand for heavy-duty and robotic lawn maintenance equipment. Landscapers are adopting more efficient battery-powered and electric equipment to reduce fuel costs and emissions. The growth of the landscaping industry globally is a key driver for commercial-grade lawn & garden equipment.
- Product innovations and cordless equipment: Key manufacturers are focusing on innovations in terms of efficiency, durability, battery performance, charging capacity, and noise reduction to gain a competitive edge in the market. Advances such as GPS-enabled robotic mowers, smart lawn optimization software, and cloud-based fleet management solutions are gaining wider adoption. Moreover, the growing consumer preference towards cordless equipment due to lower maintenance and operating costs is driving product development. In 2019, over 50% of the walk-behind lawn mowers sold in the U.S. were battery-powered. Rapid development of more powerful, fast-charging lithium-ion batteries is supporting the expansion of cordless outdoor power equipment.
- Surging popularity of DIY activities: The significant rise in DIY and home improvement projects especially backyard landscaping among residential users during the COVID-19 pandemic boosted the sales of lawn and garden equipment. With consumers spending more time at home, gardening and lawn care gained popularity as hobbies and leisure activities leading to high demand for landscaping equipment. According to the National Gardening Survey, household spending on gardening and landscaping products in the U.S. witnessed 9% YoY growth in 2020. The rising DIY trend fueled by social media, e-commerce, and online tutorials has been instrumental in driving the consumer lawn & garden equipment demand.
Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Opportunities:
- Rental equipment services: The rental model for lawn and garden equipment such as chainsaws, lawnmowers, rotary tillers, cultivators, and shredders for both residential and professional users presents significant growth opportunities. Rental services provide flexibility, eliminate high ownership costs, and prevent storage overheads. Home Depot, United Rentals, and Sunbelt Rentals are among the major rental equipment companies offering lawn and landscaping tools on rent. With millennial homeowners preferring to rent instead of buying equipment, the rental services sector is poised to create profitable prospects for manufacturers and distributors in the lawn & garden equipment market.
- Semi-autonomous equipment: The emergence of semi-autonomous or operator-assisted lawn mowers and tractors integrated with features like auto turnaround, obstacle detection, all-wheel drive assist, and auto-articulating implements provides enhanced user experience and control. Partially self-driving equipment increases operator productivity and reduces physical effort. John Deere's AutoPath system for lawn tractors enables turning and steering assistance via GPS for more precise mowing and navigation on slopes. Companies can leverage intelligent technologies like radar, sensors, cameras, and AI to develop the next generation of user-friendly and efficient smart outdoor power tools.
- Battery-as-a-service models: Pay-per-use models similar to “batteries-as-a-service” present an innovative opportunity for manufacturers to provide landscaping teams and contractors access to charged battery packs as a subscription service for electric equipment. It can lower the high upfront costs of migrating to battery-powered tools. In May 2021, Oregon-based Mean Green launched the Mower, which provides commercial mowing contractors charged battery access at a reasonable monthly rental fee. Adoption of such flexible financing models can help overcome customer concerns regarding the limited run times, range, and higher prices of cordless outdoor electric equipment.
- Connected fleet management solutions: The integration of IoT, fleet tracking telematics, and cloud-based lawn equipment management software to enable remote monitoring, preventive maintenance scheduling, utilization tracking, and inventory management for commercial landscaping crews provides scope for growth. Companies like Mower, BossLabs, and WeFix offer equipment fleet management platforms with capabilities such as utilization rates, automated billing, asset mapping, work order scheduling, and equipment sharing. Adoption of smart solutions can aid businesses in optimizing asset productivity and gaining a competitive edge.
Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 29.48 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 42.32 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Equipment Type: Lawn Mower, Chainsaw, Trimmers, Blowers, Tillers, Snow Throwers, Others
- By End User: Residential, Professional Landscaping, Golf Courses & Sports Arenas, Government & Municipalities, Others
- By Power Source: Gas-powered, Electric-powered, Battery-powered, Manual-powered
- By Distribution Channel: Offline, Online
The Toro Company, Kubota Corporation, Honda Motor Co., Husqvarna AB, Briggs & Stratton, Deere & Company, MTD Products, AriensCo, Stihl, Emak S.p.A., AL-KO, Makita Corporation, Robert Bosch, Stanley Black & Decker, Techtronic Industries, Yamabiko Corporation, American Honda Motor Co., Generac Power Systems, Lawn-Boy Inc., AL-KO Gardentech
- Growing adoption of sustainable green spaces
- Growth of landscaping industry
- Product innovations and cordless equipment
- Surging popularity of DIY activities
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High equipment costs
- Intense competition
- Seasonal and weather conditions
Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Trends:
- Development of smart robotic lawn mowers: Robotic lawn mowers are witnessing high adoption due to benefits such as low noise, reduced emissions, better sod quality, and labor cost savings. The integration of GPS, mapping and positioning software, anti-theft alarms, and smartphone connectivity in robotic mowers provides ease of use and remote access. In 2019 Husqvarna launched the EPOS enabled Automower 535 AWD, a cloud-connected all-wheel drive robotic mower with assistance systems and smart home integration. Advancements in autonomous navigation technology, IoT, and AI will drive further innovations in smart robotic mowers during the forecast period.
- Sustainable and eco-friendly products: Sustainability is a key focus area for lawn and garden equipment manufacturers. Regulatory initiatives regarding emissions and noise levels have led companies to develop equipment with clean, fuel-efficient engines and invest in eco-friendly battery-powered product lines. For instance, in 2019 Briggs & Stratton launched the "From Our Garden to Yours" brand to offer affordable environmentally responsible lawn mowers, trimmers, tillers, and cultivators. The use of recyclable materials, reduced plastic packaging, and green supply chain practices have become vital trends in the market.
- Multi-functional and multifaceted equipment: Due to small yard sizes and landscaping requirements, demand for versatile and compact utility equipment capable of performing multiple tasks is increasing. Walk-behind brush cutters integrated with debris collection bag, multitask lawn tractors with attachments for mowing, tilling, and snow-blowing, and wheeled string trimmers are gaining popularity. Companies are launching interchangeable modular tool heads compatible across product lines to offer flexibility and value. Development of equipment with swappable batteries, customizable features, and the ability to tackle different yard maintenance applications is an emerging trend.
- Expanding online sales channels: The availability of lawn & garden machinery and accessories through e-commerce stores, company websites and social commerce has increased owing to changing consumer shopping patterns. Virtual stores provide more product information, quick price comparisons, discounts, and convenience. Home Depot sells over 15,000 lawn & garden products through its website. Companies are leveraging social media marketing and forging tie-ups with online retailers to attract residential buyers. The onset of Virtual Reality based apps for users to view and purchase equipment online provides new sales avenues.
Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Restraints:
- High equipment costs: The significant upfront costs of commercial-grade and heavy-duty landscaping equipment including zero-turn mowers, compact tractors, turf cutters, debris loaders, and robotic mowers is a major adoption challenge. The costs involved in transitioning fleets to battery-powered versions further add to reluctance among small contractors and budget-conscious homeowners. Financing options and low-cost models can help improve technology penetration among price-sensitive customer segments in developing regions.
- Intense competition: The lawn and garden equipment market is highly competitive with the presence of numerous established international, regional, and local manufacturers. Competitive pricing pressure affects vendor profitability, especially in the commodity products segment. Moreover, low product differentiation in petrol-powered equipment and lack of brand loyalty makes it difficult for players to retain customers. Developing products with advanced features and technology is critical for companies to gain a strategic edge.
- Seasonal and weather conditions: The demand for lawn mowers, shredders, chippers, tillers, and other gardening equipment is seasonal in nature with sales peaking during the spring and summer months. Cold weather conditions during winter months significantly reduce consumer spending on lawn maintenance product. This results in high seasonality risks and underutilized production capacity for manufacturers.
New product launches:
- In January 2022, Husqvarna launched a range of new battery-powered garden equipment including chainsaws, trimmers, leaf blowers, and robotic lawn mowers. The launch strengthened Husqvarna's cordless outdoor power equipment portfolio.
- In March 2021, Honda Power Equipment launched the all-new Honda eGX electrified power unit, advancing the company's portfolio of battery-powered products. The eGX delivers quiet, emissions-free power for lawn and garden equipment.
- In February 2020, Briggs & Stratton unveiled the advanced Vanguard 400 single cylinder engine, featuringTurbo Cooling Technology to deliver cooler, cleaner power for commercial lawn mowing applications.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In January 2021, Stanley Black & Decker acquired MTD Products, a privately held global manufacturer of outdoor power equipment. The acquisition expanded Stanley Black & Decker's portfolio in the fast-growing lawn and garden equipment market.
- In December 2020, American Honda entered an agreement with Yamabiko Corporation to integrate Honda's General Purpose Engine business within Yamabiko's Commercial Power Products division. The partnership strengthened their collaboration across procurement, development, and sales.
- In May 2018, Briggs & Stratton Corporation acquired Ferris Industries, a leading manufacturer of commercial and residential zero-turn mowers. The acquisition broadened Briggs & Stratton's turf care product offerings.
Figure 2. Global Lawn & Garden Equipment Market Share (%), by Power Source, 2023
Top companies in Lawn & Garden Equipment Market:
- The Toro Company
- Kubota Corporation
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- Husqvarna AB
- Briggs & Stratton
- Deere & Company
- MTD Products
- Emak S.p.A.
- Makita Corporation
- Robert Bosch
- Stanley Black & Decker
- Techtronic Industries
- Yamabiko Corporation
- American Honda Motor Co.
- Generac Power Systems
- Lawn-Boy Inc.
- AL-KO Gardentech
Definition: The Lawn & Garden Equipment Market encompasses various machineries and tools such as lawn mowers, chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, tillers, and snow throwers used for maintaining residential and commercial landscapes. Key end-users of lawn & garden equipment include residential households, professional landscapers, sports facilities, government institutions, and commercial properties. With increasing consumer focus on backyard beautification and growing adoption of sustainable green spaces, the demand for advanced and efficient lawn & garden equipment is on the rise globally.
Few Other Promising Reports in Industrial Automation and Machinery Industry
Garden Carts and Wheelbarrows Market
Agricultural Equipment Market
North and Latin America Water Pumps Market
Fleet Management Market