The global liquid scintillation analyzer market size is projected to reach US$ 1.96 billion by 2030, from US$ 1.41 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 4.8% during the forecast period.
The increasing demand for liquid scintillation analyzers in the pharmaceutical and clinical research industries is driving the growth of the market. Liquid scintillation analyzers are used to detect and quantify radioactive materials in biological and environmental samples. They are used in a variety of applications, such as drug discovery, clinical diagnostics, and environmental monitoring.
The pharmaceutical industry is one of the major drivers of the liquid scintillation analyzer market. Liquid scintillation analyzers are used in the pharmaceutical industry to detect and quantify the levels of radioactive isotopes used in the production of drugs. They are also used to test the purity of drugs and to ensure that they meet regulatory requirements.
Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 34.7% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the well-established pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industry, growing nuclear power generation, and significant R&D expenditure.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market, accounting for over 23.5% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to the strong presence of major biopharmaceutical companies coupled with substantial investments in drug discovery research.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market, with a CAGR of over 28.4% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the improving healthcare infrastructure, rising food safety concerns, and rapid growth of the pharmaceutical industry.
Figure 1. Global Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Drivers:
- Growing Investments in Pharmaceutical R&D: The growth in investments for pharmaceutical research and development (R&D) is a major factor driving the liquid scintillation analyzer market. With the increasing complexity of drug discovery and need for targeted therapies, pharma companies are channelizing more funds into R&D to develop innovative medicines and treatments. Liquid scintillation analyzers play a vital role in radioisotope based assays for drug discovery, hence the growth in R&D spending is fueling the demand for these analytical systems. As per industry reports, global pharmaceutical R&D spending is projected to surpass USD 200 billion by 2024, indicating lucrative prospects for liquid scintillation analyzer suppliers.
- Rising Nuclear Power Generation: The global increase in nuclear power generation capacities provides significant opportunities for growth of the liquid scintillation analyzer market. These analyzers are widely used in nuclear facilities for radiation monitoring and to analyze radioactive samples. According to the World Nuclear Association, around 442 nuclear power reactors with a total net installed capacity of 399 GW are operational worldwide as of 2022. To ensure safe and efficient operations, nuclear plants extensively use liquid scintillation analyzers. More countries adopting nuclear energy and setting up new reactors will consequently drive the product demand.
- Growth of the Biopharma Industry: The biopharmaceutical industry has witnessed tremendous growth in recent years with investments in biologics development and increasing approvals of new molecular entities. Biopharma companies widely use liquid scintillation analyzers in R&D for RADAR-based antibody assays and radio-labeled immunoassays. The global biopharma market size was valued at over USD 290 billion in 2021 and is forecast to grow steadily at 5%-7% CAGR over the coming years. The expansion of the biopharma sector globally will positively influence the adoption of liquid scintillation analyzers.
- Surging Food Safety Testing: The increasing emphasis on food quality and safety assessment is contributing to the rising adoption of liquid scintillation analyzers for testing processes. Stringent food safety regulations and consumer demand for quality products are compelling food companies and testing laboratories to utilize advanced analytical instrumentation. Liquid scintillation analyzers allow rapid and accurate analysis of food samples for contaminants, toxins, residues and pathogens. The global food safety testing market is estimated to reach USD 24 billion by 2025, indicative of strong prospects for liquid scintillation analyzers.
Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Opportunities:
- Emerging Markets Offer Significant Growth Potential: Developing and emerging economies such as China, India, Brazil and others are poised to present lucrative growth opportunities for liquid scintillation analyzer companies. These countries are witnessing increasing investments in healthcare, food testing, environmental analysis and other end-use domains which utilize liquid scintillation analyzers. Local governments are also providing support for advancing lab testing capabilities and compliance with quality standards. Key players in the liquid scintillation analyzers market can target these high-potential countries to expand their geographical presence and revenue growth.
- Growing Proteomics Research: The proteomics market has witnessed exponential growth in recent years, driven by investments from pharmaceutical companies, rising focus on personalized medicine and advances in proteomics technologies. Liquid scintillation analyzers are gaining traction for proteomics applications involving characterization and quantification of radiolabeled proteins. The global proteomics market is projected to reach USD 75 billion by 2030. The growth in proteomics research presents significant opportunities for liquid scintillation analyzer companies.
- Rising Environmental Testing Activities: Stringent regulations regarding environmental protection and growing concerns over ecological impact of pollution are propelling the testing requirements, thereby driving the demand for liquid scintillation analyzers. These systems are widely used in environmental testing labs for analysis of radioactive elements in air, water, soil and biological samples. Growth of the environmental testing market globally owing to increasing monitoring activities presents lucrative opportunities for liquid scintillation analyzer suppliers.
- Growing Adoption of Automation: The implementation of automated liquid handling technologies is rising across laboratories and testing facilities to enable high-throughput analysis, reduce human errors and enhance productivity. Liquid scintillation analyzer manufacturers have an opportunity to leverage this trend by developing integrated, automated analyzer systems capable of seamless sample handling and processing. Companies can also partner with automation providers to provide end-to-end lab automation solutions to their customers and boost sales.
Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 1.41 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 1.96 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Product Type: Counter, Analyzer, Consumable and Accessories, Software, Services
- By Application: Drug Discovery & Development, Clinical Diagnostics, Life Sciences Research, Environmental Testing, Food Analysis, Nuclear Power Plants, Others
- By End User: Pharmaceutical Companies, CROs, Academic & Research Institutes, Environmental Testing Centers, Food Testing Laboratories, Nuclear Facilities, Others
- By Sample Type: Solid, Liquid, Gaseous, Others
- By Detector Type: Scintillation Counter, Automatic Luminometer, Glow Discharge Counter, Others
PerkinElmer, LabLogic Systems Ltd., Hidex Oy, Intertechnique, LabLogic Systems Limited, AMETEK Inc, Beckman Coulter Inc, Berthold Technologies GmbH & Co. KG, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Hach.
- Growing Investments in Pharmaceutical R&D
- Rising Nuclear Power Generation
- Growth of the Biopharma Industry
- Surging Food Safety Testing
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High Cost of Liquid Scintillation Analyzers
- Requirement of Trained Professionals
- Stringent Regulatory Policies
Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Trends:
- Technological Enhancements in Liquid Scintillation Analyzers: Manufacturers are continuously focusing on incorporating technology enhancements to improve the efficiency, accuracy and flexibility of liquid scintillation analyzers. Key innovations include analyzers with multi-mode counting capabilities for alpha, beta and gamma radiation, systems with robotic sampling, advanced vial handlers, superior data analytical software, remote monitoring etc. Companies are also developing analyzers with smaller footprints and improved user safety features. The integration of automation and data analytics is a major technology trend in the market.
- Growing Adoption of Portable Analyzers: Portable and handheld liquid scintillation analyzers are gaining increasing popularity owing to their ease of use and ability to facilitate on-site radiation monitoring. Key end-use sectors such as homeland security, nuclear facilities and environmental monitoring are driving the adoption of portable analyzers. Market players are capitalizing on this trend by offering innovative portable systems with advanced user interface, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity, long battery life and cloud/software based analytics.
- Surging Demand from Clinical Diagnostics: The clinical diagnostics domain is emerging as a significant end-user of liquid scintillation analyzers. Radioimmunoassays incorporating liquid scintillation counting are gaining importance for measuring hormone levels and tumor markers in patient samples. Liquid scintillation analyzers also aid in the quantification of radiolabeled drugs and metabolites in biofluids for pharmacokinetics studies. Growing regulatory emphasis on bioanalytical method validation is further fueling the demand for these analyzers in clinical diagnostics.
- Strategic Partnerships and Collaborations: Leading companies in the liquid scintillation analyzer market are entering into partnerships, mergers and acquisitions to enhance their product portfolios, enter new regional markets and integrate complementary technologies. For instance, in 2022 Sotax acquired Ametek’s liquid scintillation analyzer business. Similarly, PerkinElmer acquired Orvigent in 2021 to expand its cell analysis solutions. Such strategic deals among companies are shaping the competitive landscape. Partnerships with pharmaceutical companies are also on the rise to co-develop analytical solutions.
Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Restraints:
- High Cost of Liquid Scintillation Analyzers: The high upfront investment required to purchase liquid scintillation analyzers is a major restraint affecting the market growth. The complex technology and precision instrumentation involved results in substantial R&D and manufacturing costs for producers, which ultimately leads to premium pricing of the analytical systems. This makes adoption challenging for smaller laboratories and facilities with budget constraints. Players are developing cost-effective instruments to increase affordability and offset this price sensitivity.
- Requirement of Trained Professionals: The operation and maintenance of sophisticated liquid scintillation analyzers require skilled personnel trained in radiation handling, liquid chromatography and data analysis. Many small scale facilities in emerging countries grapple with shortage of such trained professionals. The recruitment and training costs add to the overhead for end-users. Lack of qualified personnel coupled with safety concerns associated with radioactive samples limits adoption from new customers.
- Stringent Regulatory Policies: Stringent safety norms and regulations pertaining to the handling and disposal of radioactive materials used in liquid scintillation analyzers hamper their adoption. End-users must adhere to rigorous licensing and reporting protocols. Approval delays due to lengthy paperwork and compliance requirements reduces accessibility for some labs and facilities. Players need to ensure their instruments meet all mandated standards and support customers in regulatory compliance.
New product launches:
- In September 2022, LabLogic Systems launched the DSA-L samplers to automate liquid scintillation counting. The new DSA-L provides rapid, high-throughput sample processing.
- In June 2021, PerkinElmer introduced the Triathler scintillation counter to enable researchers to run alpha, beta and gamma samples simultaneously on one platform. The product improves efficiency and accuracy.
- In March 2020, Hidex launched the Triathler LSC counter with triple-label counting and automatic quench balancing to optimize assay performance. It provides results faster and enhances productivity.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In January 2022, Sotax acquired AMETEK's Process & Analytical Instruments division, gaining its liquid scintillation analyzer product lines. This expanded Sotax's solutions offering.
- In June 2021, PerkinElmer acquired Orvigent, a provider of in vitro RADAR assay and service solutions. This expanded PerkinElmer's biologics capabilities.
- In April 2019, LabLogic Systems partnered with NucBio to distribute their radio-HPLC instruments. The partnership enhanced LabLogic's radioanalytical product portfolio.
Figure 2. Global Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market Share (%), by Product Type of Decongestant, 2023
Top companies in Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market:
- LabLogic Systems Ltd.
- Hidex Oy
- LabLogic Systems Limited
- AMETEK Inc
- Beckman Coulter Inc
- Berthold Technologies GmbH & Co. KG
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
*Definition: The Liquid Scintillation Analyzer Market refers to the industry and ecosystem of companies involved in the development, production, marketing and usage of liquid scintillation counters, analyzers and related accessories and software. Liquid scintillation analyzers are analytical instruments used to detect and measure low-energy radiation emitted by radioactive isotopes. They work by mixing radioactive samples with special scintillation cocktails which produce flashes of light when radiation interacts with them. The light flashes are detected and quantified by photomultipliers to determine radioactivity levels. Key end-users include pharmaceutical companies, contract research organizations, academic institutes, food testing labs and nuclear facilities. The market is driven by growth in pharmaceutical R&D, increasing food quality testing, and rising nuclear power generation. Market players are engaged in developing automated systems with data analytics capabilities to enable high-throughput analysis and enhance lab productivity.
Few Other Promising Reports in Medical Devices Industry:
Medical Purity Analyzer Market
Blood Gas Analyzers Market
Coagulation Analyzers Market
Body Composition Analyzers Market