The Strontium Nitrate Market size is expected to reach US$ 522.16 million by 2030, from US$ 386.28 million in 2022, at a CAGR of 4.4% during the forecast period. Strontium nitrate is an odorless inorganic compound made up of strontium and nitric acid. It is a white crystalline salt that is soluble in water and alcohol. The major uses of strontium nitrate are in pyrotechnics, glassmaking, electronics, coatings, water treatment, and other niche applications. The growth in end-use industries such as pyrotechnics, electronics, and specialty glasses is driving the strontium nitrate market.
The Strontium Nitrate Market is segmented by application, grade, end-use industry, and region. By application, the market is segmented into pyrotechnics, glassware, electronics, coatings, water treatment, and others. Pyrotechnics is the largest application segment due to the use of strontium nitrate to produce vivid red colors in fireworks and emergency flares. By grade, the market is segmented into technical, analytical, ACS, and others. The electronics industry requires high purity grades such as ACS driving the growth of that segment.
Strontium Nitrate Market Regional Insights
- North America is the largest market for strontium nitrate, accounting for a market share of over 25% in 2023. The growth of this market is driven by the increasing demand for strontium nitrate in the pyrotechnics, fireworks, and pigments industries. The United States is the major consumer of strontium nitrate in this region.
- Europe is the second-largest market for strontium nitrate, accounting for a market share of over 20% in 2023. The growth of this market is driven by the increasing demand for strontium nitrate in the electronics, glass, and ceramics industries. Germany, France, and the United Kingdom are the major consumers of strontium nitrate in this region.
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing market for strontium nitrate, accounting for a market share of over 30% in 2023. The growth of this market is driven by the increasing demand for strontium nitrate in the pyrotechnics, fertilizers, and chemicals industries. China, India, and Japan are the major consumers of strontium nitrate in this region.
Figure 1. Global Strontium Nitrate Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Strontium Nitrate Market Drivers
- Surging demand from pyrotechnics industry: The pyrotechnics industry has witnessed substantial growth in recent years driven by the rising usage of fireworks and flares for celebratory events, festivals, and emergency signaling. Strontium nitrate is one of the most important chemicals used to produce vivid red colors in pyrotechnics. It imparts deep red color to the flame which is highly desirable in fireworks. The increasing fireworks displays and celebrations globally is fueling the consumption of strontium nitrate in the pyrotechnics industry.
- Proliferation of electronics industry: Strontium nitrate finds applications in advanced electronics manufacturing to produce specialized glasses, high-dielectric constant fillers, ferroelectric ceramics, and others. The burgeoning electronics industry globally especially in APAC region has led to rising utilization of strontium nitrate.
- Increasing use in specialty glass products: Strontium nitrate is used to remove glass defects and enhance glass strength and durability. It finds applications in producing specialty glasses like photochromatic glass, optical glass, technical glass, and others. The rising production of high-performance, advanced glass products mainly for construction, automotive, eyewear, and electronics industries is driving strontium nitrate consumption.
- Growing application in wastewater treatment: Strontium nitrate has emerged as an effective coagulant for wastewater treatment especially in removing heavy metal ions from industrial waste streams. Stringent government regulations regarding wastewater discharge from industries such as mining, textiles, oil & gas, and energy is compelling industries to adopt effective treatment solutions. This is generating substantial demand for strontium nitrate-based coagulants and flocculants.
Strontium Nitrate Market Opportunities
- High purity grades for electronics industry: The electronics industry requires strontium nitrate products with exceptional purity, ultra-low levels of contamination, and consistency in quality for manufacturing advanced semiconductors, glass components, fillers, and other applications. The development of high purity grades of strontium nitrate tailored to meet stringent specifications of electronics manufacturers presents an attractive opportunity for producers. Companies investing in improving purification and quality control technologies for electronics-grade strontium nitrate can gain a competitive edge in this segment.
- Capacity expansions in Asia Pacific: Asia Pacific accounts for the largest share close to 50% of global strontium nitrate production, particularly concentrated in China. With rising usage in pyrotechnics and robust growth of electronics manufacturing in the region, there are significant opportunities for industry players to establish new production facilities as well as expand existing capacities in China, India, and other high potential Asian countries to cater to the increasing regional demand. This can strengthen their foothold in the largest regional market.
- Applications as substitute for barium nitrate: Barium nitrate is used extensively in pyrotechnics for green coloration similar to strontium nitrate’s usage for red colors. However, barium-based formulations have higher toxicity concerns compared to strontium-based ones. Stringent regulations have compelled reformulation of pyrotechnic mixtures using alternatives like strontium nitrate. The potential for strontium nitrate to replace barium nitrate in specific applications due to its lower toxicity presents attractive prospects for manufacturers.
- Rising demand for strontium nitrate-based products: There are substantial opportunities for companies focused on value-added strontium nitrate products tailored for niche applications rather than just the commodity salt. These include pre-formulated pyrotechnic mixes, water treatment chemical blends, additive packages for glassmaking, and others. Companies can leverage their technical expertise and application knowledge to develop targeted products addressing customer needs in end-use segments. This can help build a differentiated market position.
Strontium Nitrate Market Trends
- Increasing adoption of green pyrotechnics: Rising environmental concerns regarding pyrotechnics emissions has led to growing research on and adoption of ‘green’ fireworks and flares producing lower smoke and air pollution. Strontium nitrate is playing a vital role in the development of such eco-friendly pyrotechnics. Replacing perchlorate oxidizers with strontium nitrate to reduce emissions is a key trend. Companies are investing heavily in developing innovative environment-friendly fireworks formulas incorporating strontium nitrate which is boosting its consumption.
- Strategic partnerships and acquisitions: The strontium nitrate market is witnessing a trend of consolidations, mergers & acquisitions, and partnership deals between manufacturers, distributors, and end-users. Companies are entering strategic collaborations and acquiring niche producers to increase their product portfolio, expand production capacities, and extend geographical presence. Distributors are partnering with chemicals companies to strengthen their supply network. Such strategic moves are shaping the competitive landscape.
- Rising demand for strontium nitrate in Asia Pacific: The Asia Pacific strontium nitrate market is forecast to grow at the highest CAGR of over 7% during 2022 – 2030 driven by the enormous growth in consumption by the pyrotechnics and electronics industry in China, India, and other countries. Leading global manufacturers are expanding their Asian operations to cater to the burgeoning regional demand. Domestic producers in China and India are also ramping up production capacities. Asia Pacific’s dominance in the global strontium nitrate market is expected to continue in the foreseeable future.
- Increasing vertical integration: Companies in the strontium nitrate market are integrating vertically across the value chain to achieve greater cost efficiencies, strengthen supply chain, ensure quality control, and achieve competitive advantage. Backward integration into raw material supply and forward integration into product manufacturing is rising. Producers are also establishing strategic partnerships with customers for assured offtake and customization. The high degree of vertical integration is reducing reliance on external vendors.
Strontium Nitrate Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 386.3 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 522.2 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Application: Pyrotechnics, Glassware, Electronics, Coatings, Water treatment, Others
- By Grade: Technical Grade, Analytical Grade, Guaranteed Reagent Grade, ACS grade, Others
- By End-use Industry: Fireworks, Glass, Electronics & Semiconductors, Automotive, Construction, Water Treatment, Others
Solvay, Sakai Chemical Industry, Quimicos Aragonesas, Jinyan Strontium Industry, Joyieng Chemical, Hongkong XinRunDe Chemicals, Huaqi Fine Chemical, Barium & Chemicals, American Elements, ABASSCO
- Surging demand from pyrotechnics industry
- Proliferation of electronics industry
- Increasing use in specialty glass products
- Growing application in wastewater treatment
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Health and environmental issues
- Competition from alternative pyrotechnic salts
- High production costs
Strontium Nitrate Market Restraints
- Health and environmental issues: The toxicology profile of strontium nitrate raises occupational health hazards during handling and exposure. The compound can cause skin irritation upon contact. Its discharge into water bodies can result in adverse ecological effects. Stringent regulations are in place regarding management of strontium nitrate due to such health and environmental risks. Compliance to regulatory guidelines increases production costs for manufacturers. This is hampering the growth of the strontium nitrate market.
- Competition from alternative pyrotechnic salts: Strontium nitrate faces stiff competition from other pyrotechnic salts that produce different flame colors like barium nitrate (green) and calcium chloride (orange). The wide availability and low cost of such alternative colorants provides options to pyrotechnics manufacturers. Moreover, the ill-effects of strontium nitrate when used in high concentrations also compels end-users to use mixtures of various salts. This limits volume growth in the strontium nitrate pyrotechnics segment.
- High production costs: Strontium nitrate production involves complex processes for extraction and purification of strontium that raise costs for manufacturers. Fluctuations in raw material prices also impact profit margins. The need for technical expertise and specialized equipment further adds to costs. This makes strontium nitrate relatively more expensive than commonly used salts like sodium and potassium nitrate. The availability of lower cost substitutes for certain applications is affecting adoption. Manufacturers need to develop improved production technologies to make strontium nitrate more cost competitive.
New product launches
- In March 2021, American Elements launched strontium nitrate for high-temperature coatings. This expanded their product portfolio for high purity strontium nitrate.
- In January 2022, Solvay launched high purity strontium nitrate powder PROTECZA for specialized electronics application. This strengthened their portfolio.
- In June 2020, Sakai Chemical Industry Co., Ltd. launched strontium nitrate for water treatment applications in Japan. This allowed them to enter new application segments.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In December 2021, Solvay acquired Shenzhen Chemicals Co., Ltd. This acquisition enhanced Solvay's capability to supply strontium nitrate to the electronics industry in China.
- In January 2020, American Elements entered an authorized distribution agreement with Macron Fine Chemicals for supply of strontium nitrate in India. This improved their presence in the region.
- In March 2022, ProChem, Inc. partnered with NEAL Langerman Company for distribution of their strontium nitrate in the United States. This strengthened their distribution network.
Figure 2. Global Strontium Nitrate Market Share (%), by Grade, 2023
Top companies in Strontium Nitrate Market
- Sakai Chemical Industry
- Quimicos Aragonesas
- Jinyan Strontium Industry
- Joyieng Chemical
- Hongkong XinRunDe Chemicals
- Huaqi Fine Chemical
- Barium & Chemicals
- American Elements
Definition: The strontium nitrate market refers to the industry and businesses involved in the production, distribution, and sale of strontium nitrate compound across the globe. Strontium nitrate is an important specialty chemical used in applications like pyrotechnics, electronics, coatings, glassmaking, and water treatment due to its properties. The strontium nitrate market caters to the rising demand from end-use industries through their offerings of various grades and purities of strontium nitrate tailored for specific applications. The market has seen increasing consumption driven by the growth in pyrotechnics displays and proliferation of electronics. It comprises manufacturers, suppliers, traders, distributors, and consumers of strontium nitrate worldwide. Key players include vertical chemical companies as well as specialty chemical companies focused on niche products including strontium salts.
Few other promising reports in Bulk Chemical Industry
Textile Chemicals Market
Acetic Acid Market
Fermentation Chemicals Market
Di Methyl Ether Market