The Under Eye Serum Market size is expected to reach US$ 8.27 billion by 2030, from US$ 3.6 billion in 2022, at a CAGR of 12.6% during the forecast period. Under eye serums are anti-aging skincare products that are specially formulated to target the delicate skin around the eyes. They contain active ingredients like retinols, vitamins, antioxidants, and peptides that help reduce signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles, and puffiness. The key drivers of the market include rising awareness about anti-aging products, increase in pollution leading to under eye skin damage, demand for natural and organic ingredients, and innovative packaging.
The Under Eye Serum Market is segmented by product type, ingredient type, distribution channel, end-user, and skin type. By product type, the creams segment accounted for the largest market share in 2022. Creams are the most commonly used format for under eye serums due to their rich texture and hydrating properties. The easy absorbability of creams into the thin and fragile under eye skin is driving product demand.
Under Eye Serum Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Under Eye Serum Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 28.5% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high awareness regarding anti-aging products, rising pollution levels, and increasing disposable incomes.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the second-largest market for Under Eye Serum Market, accounting for over 41.2% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in is attributed to the growing middle class population and increasing spending on personal care products.
- The Europe market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Under Eye Serum Market, with a CAGR of over 16.3% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to the strong demand for natural and organic skincare products and innovations by premium skincare brands.
Figure 1. Global Under Eye Serum Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Under Eye Serum Market Drivers:
- Increasing prevalence of under eye skin issues: The growing prevalence of under eye skin concerns like dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness is driving demand for specialized products like under eye serums. Lifestyle factors like lack of sleep, genetics, sun exposure, and skin aging lead to under eye skin damage. The desire to treat these issues is fueling the growth of the under eye serum market. Companies are formulating targeted serums with ingredients like retinol, vitamins, and peptides to address concerns like pigmentation, dryness, and collagen loss around the delicate eye area.
- Rising awareness regarding the importance of under eye skincare: There is a growing awareness among consumers regarding the need for specialized under eye skincare, beyond just facial moisturizers and creams. The skin around the eyes is thinner and more fragile. Using regular facial skincare products may not sufficiently address under eye skin problems. Brands and beauty influencers are educating consumers that the eye area needs products specifically formulated for its needs. This is expected to spur the adoption of under eye serums that cater to the specific requirements of the eye contour area.
- Product innovations and packaging improvements: Under eye serum brands are continuously launching innovations in formulations and packaging to address consumer needs better and differentiate themselves. The use of cutting-edge ingredients like epidermal growth factors, argireline, matrixyl, and plant stem cells is rising in under eye serums. Packaging in airless pumps, roll-on formats, and cooling applicators is also gaining traction. Moreover, natural, organic, cruelty-free, and clean label claims are also prominent. Such product innovations are fueling the incremental growth of the under eye serum market.
- Influence of social media and beauty blogs: The growing influence of social media platforms and beauty blogs is propelling the demand for under eye serums. Consumers are increasingly exposed to product reviews, before-after images, and education around ingredients and formulations through Youtube videos and Instagram posts. Key opinion leaders and skinfluencers drive awareness and interest in specialized skincare like under eye products. Social commerce is also allowing brands to target and sell to consumers digitally. This social media momentum will continue to boost market growth.
Under Eye Serum Market Opportunities:
- Growing demand from emerging economies: Emerging economies in Asia, Africa, and South America present strong opportunities for under eye serum brands due to the expanding middle class, rising disposable incomes and increasing adoption of beauty and personal care products. Consumer segments in these regions are becoming more aware of premium skincare technologies. Local players as well as international brands can tap into this demand by offering innovative under eye serums catered to different skin types and concerns. Moreover, digital marketing helps connect with audiences.
- Increasing popularity of organic and natural under eye serums: The rising consumer preference for clean, green, and sustainable beauty products presents an opportunity for natural and organic under eye serums. Botanical, herbal, and plant-based ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, coffee, green tea, jojoba, rosehip, and turmeric are gaining traction. Consumers concerned about skin sensitivities and harsh chemicals have a strong demand for paraben-free, sulfate-free, non-toxic formulas. Brands can capitalize on this trend with natural under eye serums.
- Men's grooming and multi-benefit under eye serums: While the market is dominated by female consumers, the growing focus of men on skincare and anti-aging products presents an untapped opportunity. Brands can offer under eye serums tailored for men's needs while keeping formulations non-greasy and fast-absorbing. Combination products that address dark circles, puffiness, wrinkles, and eye bags can appeal to male consumers. Marketers need to break stereotypes and effectively target the male demographic through gender-neutral branding.
- Omnichannel distribution expansion: To expand their consumer reach, eye serum brands have the opportunity to penetrate new retail channels and markets by adopting an omnichannel distribution strategy. Collaborations with e-commerce platforms, niche beauty retailers, salons & spas, pharmacies, and department stores can help gain access to different consumer segments. The right channel mix balancing physical retail and online presence can enable brands to grow sales. Investing in brand building across channels is crucial.
Under Eye Serum Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 3.6 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 8.27 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle Eastx
- By Product Type: Creams, Gels, Serums, Others
- By Ingredient Type: Retinols, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid, Caffeine, Ceramides, Peptides, Others
- By Distribution Channel: Supermarkets/Hypermarkets, Specialty Stores, Online Retail, Others
- By End User: Women, Men, Unisex
- By Skin Type: Dry Skin, Oily Skin, Combination Skin, Normal Skin, Sensitive Skin
Estee Lauder, L'Oreal, Shiseido, P&G, Unilever, LVMH, Chanel, Amorepacific, LG Household and Healthcare, Kanabo, Tatcha, Drunk Elephant, Olay, La Mer, Kiehl's, Clarins, Origins, Caudalie, Dr. Barbara Sturm, SkinCeuticals
- Increasing prevalence of under eye skin issues
- Rising awareness regarding the importance of under eye skincare
- Product innovations and packaging improvements
- Influence of social media and beauty blogs
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Premium pricing limiting adoption
- Perceived lack of visible improvements
- Availability of substitutes
Under Eye Serum Market Trends:
- Clinical and dermatologist-backed claims: Seeking the stamp of approval and recommendations from skin experts such as dermatologists gives brands more credibility. Consumers increasingly look for clinically tested, dermatologically approved labels when purchasing skincare items. Under eye serum manufacturers can conduct rigorous clinical studies to determine product efficacy and tolerability for issues like puffiness, dark circles, and wrinkles. The right clinical data helps build consumer confidence.
- Premiumization with advanced ingredients: Under eye serums are transitioning from nice-to-have beauty care to a skincare essential. Brands are premiumizing formulas with patented active ingredients, sophisticated dispensing systems, elegant packaging, and highlighting key benefits. Consumers moving up the value chain seek performance-led, problem-solving serums for specific under eye concerns like dehydration, dullness, fine lines, etc. Market players can tap into demand for premium, highly-effective under eye serums.
- Retinol, vitamins, and peptides gaining prominence: Key ingredients rising in prominence in under eye serums include retinol which accelerates skin renewal, vitamin C that inhibits pigmentation and boosts collagen, hyaluronic acid offering hydration, caffeine to reduce puffiness, and peptides that stimulate elastin and collagen production. Combining these rejuvenating ingredients synergistically at optimal strengths can provide visible improvements. Scientific messaging regarding the benefits of these actives appeals to consumers.
- Specialty retail and salon partnerships: To sample and experience premium eye serums, consumers are visiting specialized beauty retailers and salons. Brands can leverage these channels to provide personalized consultations, education, demonstrations, and trial sizes to shoppers. Hands-on expert advice and first-hand product experience build trust and loyalty. Partnerships with skin clinics also enable direct feedback on product performance from dermatologists, fueling word-of-mouth.
Under Eye Serum Market Restraints:
- Premium pricing limiting adoption: While under eye serums offer targeted age-defying benefits, the relatively high retail prices can restrain adoption among price-sensitive consumer segments. Mainstream buyers may view these as expensive and non-essential. To improve affordability, brands can introduce mass-market variants, sample/travel sizes, bundle offers, loyalty rewards, and sale events to broaden appeal.
- Perceived lack of visible improvements: Some first-time users of even high-performing under eye serums may not notice dramatically visible anti-aging effects quickly due to unrealistic expectations. Brands need to accurately communicate that while benefits will be gradual, regular usage aids in preventing premature skin aging around the eyes. Free samples and trial periods can convince skeptical consumers.
- Availability of substitutes: Alternatives like eye creams, oils, gels, masks, and facial serums that can be used around the eyes may limit the need for separate dedicated under eye serums for some consumers. Brands need to clearly communicate the unique formulation advantages of specialized eye serums tailored for the thinner eye area skin. Promotional offers on under eye serums can incentivize trial.
New product launches:
- In January 2022, Neutrogena launched the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Under Eye Cream to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- In September 2021, Olay launched the Olay Vitamin C + Peptide 24 Under Eye Gel Cream containing vitamin C and peptides to brighten dark circles.
- In April 2022, Cetaphil launched the Cetaphil Hydrating Eye Gel-Cream containing hyaluronic acid to hydrate the under eye area.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In October 2021, Unilever acquired Paula's Choice Skincare, expanding its skincare portfolio with anti-aging serums and eye creams.
- In January 2022, ULTA Beauty partnered with Clarins to expand distribution of its eye care products in the US.
- In June 2022, Perfect Corp partnered with Estée Lauder to utilize AI and AR technology for trying on under eye serums virtually.
Figure 2. Global Under Eye Serum Market Share (%), by Product Type, 2023
Top companies in Under Eye Serum Market
- Estee Lauder
- LG Household and Healthcare
- Drunk Elephant
- La Mer
- Barbara Sturm
Definition: The Under Eye Serum Market refers to the market for specialized skincare products that are designed to be applied under the eyes to treat issues like dark circles, puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles. Under eye serums typically have a lightweight, fast-absorbing texture and contain ingredients like retinol, caffeine, vitamins, and peptides that target signs of aging around the delicate eye area. The growth of the under eye serum market is driven by rising consumer awareness regarding anti-aging products, increase in pollution and lifestyle issues causing under eye skin damage, demand for natural and organic ingredients, and innovations in packaging and applicators by personal care brands. North America and Asia Pacific are significant regional markets, while product innovation and focus on skin brightening, illumination, and puffiness reduction are key trends in the under eye serum market.
Few Other Promising Reports in Consumer Goods Industry:
Cosmetic Serum Market
Hyaluronic Acid Products Market
Eye Health Ingredients Market