Aluminum chlorohydrate is an inorganic polymer and group of specific aluminum salts, which has general formula AlnCl(3n-m)(OH)m. Aluminum chlorohydrate is an odorless, colorless, and light yellow crystalline solid or powder.
When aluminum chlorohydrate is applied on body the salts dissolves in the sweat or moisture in the underarm. The dissolved a substance, which forms a gel creates a temporary plug in sweat gland that reducing specific amount of the sweat on skin surface.
Furthermore, aluminum chlorohydrates are antimicrobial agents used as component in personal hygiene products, which are designed to control and reduce unpleasant odors safely and efficiently. In addition, aluminum chloride antiperspirant and deodorant brands are easily available in the market in the form of sprays, sticks and creams etc.
Increasing demand for aluminum salts as an active antiperspirant agent in commercial underarm cosmetic products is expected to be a major factor driving growth of the global aluminum chlorohydrate market over the forecast period (2018 - 2025). Furthermore, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers the use of aluminum chlorohydrate in antiperspirants are effective, safe, and permitted in concentration up to 25%. There is no scientific evidence that aluminum chlorohydrate compound in antiperspirants can cause Brest cancer and Alzheimer's disease.
Increasing number of water treatment plants due to increasing government initiatives for water treatment is expected to positively impact growth of the aluminum chlorohydrate market, owing to use of aluminum chlorohydrate in water treatment as a coagulant to remove dissolved organic matter and colloidal particles, which are present in water. For instance, according to the Federal and Government of British Columbia, the federal government invested fund of around US$ 450.1 million in municipalities for water and wastewater treatment across the British Columbia in 2017.
A major restraining factor for growth of the market is availability of alternatives such as aluminum chloride,aluminum dichlorohydrate, and aluminum zirconium chlorohydrate complexes.
- Cosmetics segment held a significant market share in the aluminum chlorohydrate market across the globe in 2017, due to increasing demand for antiperspirant and deodorant from the cosmetics industry. Aluminum chlorohydrate is used as antimicrobial agents to inhibit bacterial growth that causes body odor. For instance, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration, France cosmetics industry was valued at US$ 18.2 billion in 2016, which increased by US$ 19.5 billion in 2017.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing region in aluminum chlorohydrate market during the forecast period (2018 - 2025), due to increasing demand for aluminum salts in water treatment. High prevalence of water-borne diseases such as cholera, typhoid, and diarrhea in the region is a major factor for growth of the market. For instance, in 2016, around 1, 32,121 cases of cholera and over 2,420 deaths were reported by the World Health Organization (WHO) globally and Asia Pacific reported 13% of total number of cases.
- Europe held a significant market share due to presence of leading market players such as L’Oreal, L.V.M.H, and Unilever in the region, which are strategically investing to introduce innovative products in the market, which positively impacted growth of the aluminum chlorohydrate market. Unilever is the global leader in the deodorant and antiperspirant. In 2016, company launched new anti-mark antiperspirant technology to prevent white marks on dark clothes and yellow stains on white apparel. The company introduced its new proprietary formulation in Dry Spray format across five of its key brands such as Degree Women, Degree Men, Dove Men+Care, Dove, and AXE.
Key players operating in the global aluminum chlorohydrate market include Chemtrade Logistics Inc., Kemira, USALCO, Holland Company, Zhejiang NetSun Co., Ltd., Parchem fine & specialty chemicals, GEO, and Innova Corporate.
Key players are strategically investing in mergers and acquisitions to enhance their market share and retain leading position in the market.
- For instance, in 2017, Elementis plc. acquired SummitReheis, Inc. to expand product portfolio in personal care segment focusing on US and across the world. SummitReheis, Inc. is a manufactures and markets antiperspirant such as creams, antiperspirant sticks, roll-ons, pump sprays, wipes, and foot sprays. The company offers aluminum salts such as aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum-zirconium-glycine, and UltraZAG aluminum-zirconium-glycine actives.
- Elementis plc. will merge SummitReheis, Inc. with some of its existing products to generate a US$ 200 Mn business for personal care ingredients. The company anticipate synergies with its hectorite clay mineral that are added to aerosols to improve the effectiveness of aluminum chlorohydrate.
- In 2012, ALTIVIA Specialty Chemicals, LLC, distributor and manufacturer of chemicals used primarily for industrial and municipal water treatment, paper and pulp production and oil field drilling operations. The company expanded its specialty chemicals product line which includes aluminum chlorohydrate, ferric and ferrous sulphate.
On the basis of type, the aluminum chlorohydrate market is segmented into:
On the basis of application, the aluminum chlorohydrate market is segmented into:
- Water Treatment
On the basis of region, the aluminum chlorohydrate market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa