Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Aromatherapy is an alternative medicine and considered as a practice of using the natural or herbal oils extracted from flowers, wood, earth, fruits, roots or other parts of a plant to enhance psychological and physical well-being of a patient suffering from chronic disorder.
The global aromatherapy market is estimated to account for US$ 5,061.9 Mn in terms of value and is expected to reach US$ 8,798.7 Mn by the end of 2027.
Global Aromatherapy Market: Drivers
Launch of new products is expected to propel growth of the global aromatherapy market over the forecast period. For instance, in February 2019, Village Naturals Therapy launched new chronic pain & fatigue line.
Moreover, increasing prevalence of cancer is also expected to boost demand for aromatherapy. For instance, according to the American Cancer Society, in 2019, there will be an estimated 1,762,450 new cancer cases diagnosed and 606,880 cancer deaths in the U.S.
Consumables held dominant position in the global aromatherapy market in 2019, accounting for 85.7% share in terms of value, followed by Equipment, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Aromatherapy Market Share (%), by Value, by Application, 2019
Global Aromatherapy Market: Restraints
Lack of scientific evidence for aromatherapy is expected to hinder growth of the global aromatherapy market. There is lack R&D to support the use of aromatherapy in treating Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and heart disease.
Moreover, risk factors and complications are associated with aromatherapy such as toxicity, skin sensitization, and photosensitivity, which are also expected to limit the market growth.
Aromatherapy Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||US$ 4,685.7 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2016 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||US$ 8,798.7 Mn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa
- By Product:
- Essential Oils: Floral, Citrus, Herbaceous, Spicy, Woodsy, Earthy, Camphhorous, Others.
- Blended Oils, Carrier Oils.
- Equipment: Nebulizing Diffuser, Ultrasonic Diffuser, Evaporative Diffuser, Heat Diffuser.
- By Mode of Delivery: Topical Application, Diract Inhalation, Aerial Diffusion, Health data and record access.
- By Application: Relaxation, Insomnia, Pain Management, Scar Management Skin & Hair Care, Cold & Cough, Others.
doTERRA, Young Living Essential Oils, Mountain Rose Herbs, Edens Garden, Frontier Natural Products Co-op. (Aura Cacia), Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy Essential Oils, YGYI, Inc., and MONQ, LLC.
- Launch of new products
- Increasing prevalence of cancer
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Lack of scientific evidence for aromatherapy
Global Aromatherapy Market: Opportunities
R&D in essential oils is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global aromatherapy market. For instance, in August 2020, researchers from Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, U.S., reported that carvacrol-rich thymus vulgaris essential oil can be effective in the prevention and management of fungal infections and topical inflammation.
Moreover, high prevalence of arthritis is also expected to boost demand for aromatherapy. For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s May 2019 report, an estimated 54.4 million US adults have diagnosed arthritis, which accounted for around 1 in 4 people in the U.S.
The global aromatherapy market was valued at US$ 4,685.7 Mn in 2019 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 8,798.7 Mn by 2027 at a CAGR of 8.2% between 2020 and 2027.
Figure 2. Global Aromatherapy Market Value (US$ Mn), and Y-o-Y Growth (%), 2019-2027
Market Trends/Key Takeaways
Increasing prevalence of migraine is expected to propel growth of the global aromatherapy market over the forecast period. For instance, according to the study, ‘Prevalence, burden, and clinical management of migraine in China, Japan, and South Korea: a comprehensive review of the literature’, published in December 2019, in BMC’s The Journal of Headache and Pain, the 1-year prevalence of migraine among adults ranged from 6.0% to 14.3%.
Combined used of aromatherapy and reflexology has found to be effective in cancer treatment. For instance, in June 2019, researchers at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center reported that use of aromatherapy and reflexology reduced patient-reported pain levels by 60% and anxiety by 20% in cancer patients.
- In the U.S., aromatherapy products are generally classified as a cosmetic, a drug or both by the FDA.
- All cosmetic products and ingredients must meet the same safety requirement, regardless of their source whether organic or natural. Essential oils used as drugs require FDA approval before they are commercialized.
- The cosmetics marketed in the U.S., must comply with the labeling requirements of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic (FD&C) Act, the Fair Packaging and Labeling (FP&L) Act, and the regulations published by the Food and Drug Administration
Global Aromatherapy Market: Competitive Landscape
Major players operating in the global aromatherapy market include, doTERRA, Young Living Essential Oils, Mountain Rose Herbs, Edens Garden, Frontier Natural Products Co-op. (Aura Cacia), Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy Essential Oils, YGYI, Inc., and MONQ, LLC.
Global Aromatherapy Market: Key Developments
Major players in the global aromatherapy market are focused on launching new products to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in February 2019, MONQ, LLC launched FOCUS, a scientifically proven breathable, organic nootropic.