The Butterfly Needles Market size is expected to reach US$ 565.2 Million by 2030, from US$ 315.2 Million in 2023, at a CAGR of 8.7% during the forecast period. Butterfly needles are winged steel needles used for drawing blood or intravenous therapy. The rising prevalence of chronic diseases and growing demand for blood transfusions is driving the market growth. The Butterfly Needles Market is segmented by product type, application, end-use, size of tubing, and region. By product type, the safety butterfly needles segment is expected to grow significantly due to increasing focus on workplace safety.
Butterfly needles, also referred to as winged infusion sets or scalp vein sets due to the plastic wings flanking the hollow needle, serve as tools for extracting blood or delivering medications into veins. These devices find frequent application in drawing blood or administering treatments to infants, young children, and the elderly.
Butterfly Needles Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Butterfly Needles Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 40.5% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high adoption of advanced medical technologies and presence of leading manufacturers in the region.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for Butterfly Needles Market, accounting for over 25.2% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in is attributed to the rising prevalence of chronic diseases and favorable government initiatives in the region.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Butterfly Needles Market, with a CAGR of over 19.3% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the improving healthcare infrastructure and increasing healthcare expenditure in the region.
Figure 1. Global Butterfly Needles Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Butterfly Needles Market Drivers:
- Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases Driving Demand for Butterfly Needles: The rising prevalence of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and kidney disorders is increasing the demand for regular diagnosis tests and treatments, which is driving the growth of the butterfly needles market. According to WHO, chronic diseases account for 60% of all deaths worldwide.
- Growing Demand for Blood Transfusions and Blood Donations: The increasing number of surgical procedures, road accidents, traumas, and anemia cases is escalating the demand for blood transfusions. This is fueling the adoption of butterfly needles for efficient blood sample collection. As per WHO, 118.5 million blood donations are collected globally every year.
- Rise in Hospitalization Rates and Need for Effective Venipuncture: The growing hospitalization rates owing to the increasing burden of chronic diseases is leading to high demand for intravenous needles and infusion pumps. Butterfly needles enable easy and painless venipuncture compared to traditional needles.
- Technological Advancements in Butterfly Needle Designs: Key manufacturers are focusing on developing advanced butterfly needle designs such as safety butterfly needles with sharps injury prevention features. The launch of ergonomic needle designs is gaining traction among healthcare providers.
Butterfly Needles Market Opportunities:
- Increasing Demand from Emerging Countries: The improving healthcare infrastructure and rising healthcare spending in emerging economies such as China, India, Brazil, and Southeast Asia is creating lucrative growth opportunities for butterfly needle manufacturers. The expanding patient pool in these countries is driving product demand.
- Rising Adoption of Safety Needle Devices: The growing awareness of needlestick injuries is fueling the adoption of safety butterfly needle devices integrated sharps injury prevention features. Key players are focusing on new product launches to capitalize on this opportunity.
- Technological Advancements in Needle Size Variants: The introduction of smaller, non-coring butterfly needles designed for pediatric and geriatric patients is expected to create new revenue opportunities owing to the rising geriatric population and pediatric healthcare needs.
- Growing Use in Home Healthcare Settings: The increasing use of butterfly needles for home infusion and dialysis therapies is expected to widen the consumer base for manufacturers. Expanding home healthcare services is leading to new product adoption avenues.
Butterfly Needles Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 315.2 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 – 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 565.2 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Type: Winged Butterfly Needles, Straight Butterfly Needles
- By Gauge Size: 18 G, 21 G, 23 G, Others
- By Application: Blood Collection, Intravenous (IV) Therapy, Drug Administration, Others
- By End User: Hospitals, Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Home Care Settings
- By Usage Frequency: Single-use Butterfly Needles, Multi-use Butterfly Needles
- By Material: Stainless Steel, Plastic
- By Safety Feature: Non-Safety Butterfly Needles, Safety Butterfly Needles
- By Vein Type: Scalp Vein Butterfly Needles, Arm Vein Butterfly Needles
- By Distribution Channel: Hospitals Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies
Becton, Dickinson and Company, Kawasumi Laboratories Inc. , Vygon SA, Medline Industries Inc., ISOMed, Terumo Corporation, HTL Strefa, Cardinal Health , iLife Medical Devices Pvt. Ltd., AdvaCare Pharma
- Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases Driving Demand for Butterfly Needles
- Growing Demand for Blood Transfusions and Blood Donations
- Rise in Hospitalization Rates and Need for Effective Venipuncture
- Technological Advancements in Butterfly Needle Designs
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Risk of Needlestick Injuries
- Low Penetration in Underdeveloped Regions
- Presence of Alternative Modes of Blood Collection
Butterfly Needles Market Trends:
- Integration of Advanced Safety Mechanisms in Products: Manufacturers are integrating innovative safety features like needle shields, retractable needles, hinged caps and safety locks in butterfly needle devices to prevent needle stick injuries. Advanced safety butterfly needles are gaining higher traction.
- Development of Needle-free Injection Systems: The growing demand for needle-free injection systems for painless blood drawing and drug delivery is prompting manufacturers to develop advanced needleless injectors. This reduces reliance on conventional needles.
- Focus on Improved Needle Designs and User-friendly Features: Key players are launching ergonomically designed butterfly needles integrated with user-friendly enhancements like easy grips, 360-degree rotation, and multiple lumens to enhance administration and minimize discomfort.
- Use of Plastic and Polymer Needle Materials: The utilization of plastic polymers, polycarbonates, polypropylene and other advanced materials to manufacture butterfly needle tubing and wings offers durability, flexibility and increased resistance to needle breaks and blockages.
Butterfly Needles Market Restrains:
- Risk of Needlestick Injuries: Conventional butterfly needles pose the risk of needlestick injuries which can cause blood-borne pathogen transmission between patients and healthcare workers. This is negatively impacting adoption among healthcare facilities.
- Low Penetration in Underdeveloped Regions: The lack of advanced healthcare infrastructure, limited patient awareness and lower healthcare budgets are hampering butterfly needle adoption in underdeveloped regions and rural areas of emerging economies.
- Presence of Alternative Modes of Blood Collection: The availability of alternative blood collection methods like vacuum tubes, syringes, capillary tubes is limiting the universal adoption of butterfly needle devices across all patient demographics.
Figure 2. Global Butterfly Needles Market Share (%), By Type, 2023
New Product Launches
- In January 2022, Smiths Medical launched its new Jelco AVIV safety butterfly needle range designed to minimize needlestick injuries and enhance user safety.
- In June 2021, ILife launched pandemic-safe iSafety butterfly needles to prevent infections for healthcare staff administering IVs or drawing blood samples.
- In May 2020, Medline Industries launched its new MaxxGrip safety butterfly needles to facilitate enhanced grip and control during vascular access procedures.
- In January 2020, Greiner Bio-One launched the world's first safety blood collection butterfly needle VACUETTE® Quatro Catheter to prevent needlestick injuries.
Acquisitions and Partnerships
- In March 2022, iLife partnered with Pro-Lab Diagnostics to expand the distribution of its iSafety butterfly needle range across Canada.
- In May 2021, Becton, Dickinson and Company acquired Ally Bridge Group's investment in Vitalant Research Institute to advance research in blood diagnostics.
- In June 2020, Smiths Medical partnered with Marken to improve delivery logistics of its specialized medical devices including safety butterfly needles.
Top companies in Butterfly Needles Market
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Kawasumi Laboratories Inc.
- Vygon SA
- Medline Industries Inc.
- Terumo Corporation
- HTL Strefa
- Cardinal Health
- iLife Medical Devices Pvt. Ltd.
- AdvaCare Pharma
*Definition: The Butterfly Needles Market refers to the industry and market associated with butterfly needle medical devices used for intravenous (IV) infusion, blood collection, and vascular access procedures. Butterfly needles are short hypodermic needles attached to narrow, flexible tubes and plastic wings to facilitate easy grip and smooth penetration of veins. They enable convenience in draw out blood from veins or administer intravenous medications, antibiotics, or fluids directly into the bloodstream. The butterfly needles market involves the entire value chain from research, development, manufacturing to distribution of standard and safety butterfly needle devices globally. Key factors driving the growth of this market include rising prevalence of chronic diseases requiring frequent monitoring and treatment, growth in blood transfusions, increase in hospitalization rates and focus on needlestick injury prevention. The global butterfly needles market size is expected to grow significantly owing to technological innovations in needle designs, integration of safety features, and launches by leading medical device manufacturers like Becton Dickinson, Terumo, Smiths Medical, etc. The market potential is huge in both emerging and developed regions with applications in hospitals, clinics, home healthcare, and blood banks.