A wheelchair is used to overcome the difficulty or impossibility of walking due to illness, injury, or disability. There are two types of wheelchairs: manual wheelchair and power or electric wheelchair. Wheelchair is used for mobility purpose by the disabled person or a person who is unable to walk post injury or due to certain illness. They can be used for outdoor as well as indoor purpose. Customized form of wheelchairs designed for daily use or specific for certain field activity are also available. Wheelchairs minimize the problems or pain of the user such as back pain, sores, digestion, and respiration. The manual wheelchair is mostly used by the patient who have upper body strength and electric wheelchairs are used by patients who feel fatigue easily.
Global Electric Wheelchair Market - Impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak was first reported on December 31, 2019, in Wuhan, China. The World Health Organization declared COVID-19, as pandemic on March 11, 2020.
According to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Weekly Epidemiological Update by the World Health Organization, over 186,240,393 cases and 4,027,861 deaths due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) were reported till July 11, 2021, across the globe.
Guidelines for Wheelchair Users in Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Sunrise Medical, Inc., a company which designs and manufactures mobility products including lightweight wheelchairs, power wheelchairs, pediatric wheelchairs, and wheelchair accessories, recommended guidelines to carryout for cleaning the wheelchair in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The recommendations are listed below:
- Cleaning of wheelchair is required every time after visiting a public place
- All contact surfaces must be treated with a disinfectant solution. Disinfect with wipes that contain at least a 70% alcohol solution, or other approved store-bought solutions for disinfecting surfaces. The sanitizer must remain on the surface for at least 15 minutes. The surface should then be cleaned with a wipe and rinsed with an aseptic cloth.
- The joystick on an electric wheelchair can be cleaned with a damp cloth and a diluted sanitizer
- Ensure all surfaces are rinsed with clean water and dried thoroughly after disinfection. Make sure that the wheelchairs are dried to avoid damage.
- Solvents, bleaches, abrasives, synthetic detergents, wax enamels, or sprays should not be used.
The global electric wheelchair market is estimated to be valued at US$ 6,387.3 Mn in 2021, and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 10.7% over the forecast period (2021-2028).
Electric Wheelchair Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 6,387.3 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 13,036.4 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Modality: Rear Wheel Drive Electric Wheelchair, 4 Wheel Drive Electric Wheelchair, Front Wheel Drive Electric Wheelchair, Self Balancing Wheelchair, Standing Electric Wheelchair, Remote Control
- By Age Group: > 60 years, 21 to <60 years, < 20 years
- By End User: Consumer, Care (Hospital, Clinics, Care Homes)
Invacare Corporation, Sunrise Medical (US) LLC, Permobil Inc., Pride Mobility Products Corporation, Drive Devilbiss Healthcare, Hoveround Corporation, Ottobock Healthcare, 21st Century Scientific, Inc., Meyra GmbH, LEVO AG, Merits Co. Ltd., Segway Inc., Scewo, GF Health Products Inc., Karman Healthcare, Inc., KYMCO Healthcare, SOWECARE B.V, and Nanjing Jin Bai He Medical Apparatus Co., Ltd.
- Increasing geriatric population
- Healthcare investments focused on geriatric population and unmet needs
- Increasing product launches by market players
- Increasing strategic collaborations among the market players
|Restraints & Challenges:
Figure 1: Global Electric Wheelchair Market Share (%) Analysis, By Modality, 2021
The increasing geriatric population is the major factor that is expected to drive the market growth of global electric wheelchair over the forecast period.
Every country across the globe is witnessing a high growth in the geriatric population. This huge rise in geriatric population with chronic illness, co-morbidity, and different disabilities is expected to boost the global electric wheelchair market growth over the forecast period. For instance, according to World Population Prospects in 2017, 13% of the world population comprises the elder population. The population growth rate of individuals aged 60 or above is around 3% per year globally, and around 25% population is over the age of 60 in Europe, which is the greatest percentage in the world. The number of older persons in the world is projected to be 1.4 billion in 2030 and 2.1 billion in 2050, and could rise to 3.1 billion in 2100.
The rising number of product launches and approvals is expected to drive the growth of the global electric wheelchair market over the forecast period. For instance, in March 2020, Invacare Corporation, a company involved in manufacturing home medical devices, launched Invacare AVIVA FX Power Wheelchair. The design of AVIVA FX Power Wheelchair allows the tires, wheels and hubs, gearboxes, and motors to be easily removed.
Figure 2: Mobility Disability among Adults 18 Years of Age or Older in the U.S. (2019)
Global Electric Wheelchair Market – Restraints
However, electric wheelchairs are technologically advanced devices to help the disabled and older people with mobility and are often expected to show faults, inconsistent technical glitches, and other problems. Due to such technical problems, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) often recalls the electric wheelchairs, which is expected to hamper the electric wheelchair market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in August 2018, the U.S. FDA initiated a recall of Permobil powered wheelchairs manufactured by Permobil AB, owing to the potential failure of one or both backrest bars providing back support. If one or both the back support telescoping bars fail, the user could fall back leading to a potential injury.
Global Electric Wheelchair Market – Regional Analysis
On the basis of region, the global electric wheelchair market is segmented into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa.
North America is expected to hold dominant position in the global electric wheelchair market over the forecast period, owing to rising collaborations and partnerships between market players. For instance, in August 2020, Sunrise Medical announced the acquisition of two leading global pediatric brands, Leckey and Firefly to expand Sunrise Medical's existing pediatric mobility portfolio.
Figure 3: Global Electric Wheelchair Market Value (US$ Mn), by Region, 2021
Global Electric Wheelchair Market – Competitive Landscape
Major players operating in the global electric wheelchair market include Invacare Corporation, Sunrise Medical (US) LLC, Permobil Inc., Pride Mobility Products Corporation, Drive Devilbiss Healthcare, Hoveround Corporation, Ottobock Healthcare, 21st Century Scientific, Inc., Meyra GmbH, LEVO AG, Merits Co. Ltd., Segway Inc., Scewo, GF Health Products Inc., Karman Healthcare, Inc., KYMCO Healthcare, SOWECARE B.V, and Nanjing Jin Bai He Medical Apparatus Co., Ltd.