Market Insight- Global Energy Management System (EMS) Market
An energy management system is a system of computer-aided tools utilized to control, monitor, and optimize the performance of the transmission or generation system. In layman’s term, it is a database of information related to usage of financial data, energy resources, and other essential factors that aid organizations in controlling, monitoring, and analyzing operations. EMS is used by large enterprises to monitor and track energy usage in their facilities. EMS software helps to assess and build operator’s energy consumption targets, analyze consumption trends, and identify and validate opportunities for energy efficient programs, in order to minimize operational and energy costs. Currently, enterprises are required to monitor and analyze their performance in a number of ways.
The global energy management system (EMS) market was valued at US$ 9,224.6 Mn in 2019 and is expected grow at a CAGR of 14.8% during the forecast period (2019-2027).
Market Dynamics- Drivers
- Growing demand for energy management systems in commercial sectors is expected to drive growth of the global energy management system (EMS) market during the forecast period
Currently, a number of organizations are facing challenges regarding reducing energy consumption. Increasing pressure to adopt sustainable energy solutions is expected to boost the adoption of energy management solutions in industrial and commercial sectors. Furthermore, energy management solutions help enterprises in minimizing operational costs and greenhouse gas emission, which in turn, is expected to support organizations to invest in energy management solutions, thereby driving growth of the market. For instance, Microsoft Corporation, France has invested in Schneider Electric’s energy management solution, in order to expand its operational capabilities and reduce carbon footprint. Furthermore, Adoption of energy management solutions has facilitated reduction of power consumption by 30%.
- Constant increase in regulatory obligations and industry guidelines is expected to propel the global energy management system (EMS) market over the forecast period
All resource-intensive industries use vast amounts of raw materials, energy, resources, and water, which eventually leads to significant generation of solid waste, emissions, and effluents. Hence, these industries are often subjected to stringent global and domestic regulations with various plant-level geography compliances. In order to comply with the strict regulatory policies, enterprises are incorporating sustainability management solutions or adopting EMS solutions to ensure reduction in carbon footprint and control on waste generation. For instance, in 2012, Europe Energy Efficiency Directive established a set of rules to reduce energy wastage and to reach a 20% energy efficiency target by 2020. The objective of the directive is to encourage efficient energy consumption at all stages of energy chain and adapt energy sustainability.
North America region dominated the global energy management system (EMS) market in 2019, accounting for 37.5% share in terms of value, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- Lack of awareness related to environmental initiatives is expected to restrain growth of the global energy management system (EMS) market during the forecast period
Small enterprises, especially in emerging economies such as India and China contribute significantly to environmental pollution. This is due to passive attitude of these enterprises towards pollution prevention as there is very low environmental awareness in such organizations. Generally, large enterprises invest significantly in pollution control and energy management, unlike small enterprises. Moreover, pollutions standards enforcements are uneven and only government-owned organizations are targeted for environmental monitoring, pollution charges and fines. On the contrary, small- and mid-sized enterprises escape the fines. These factors are expected to restrain growth of the global energy management system (EMS) market over the forecast period.
- Absence of data, regulatory standards, and common practices within and among companies is expected to hinder the global energy management system (EMS) market over the forecast period
Many companies offer vast opportunities regarding energy saving and conservation. This is owing to lack of reliable data, common practices, and standards within and across companies, leading to missed opportunities. Moreover, only large organizations are observing green initiatives and optimizing resource utilities such as controlling and monitoring energy consumption, enhancing procurement strategies, planning budgeting decisions, and lighting retrofits, in order to take advantage of tax credits for renewable energy generation and energy conservations. However, too many SMEs fail to implement green initiatives or are yet to implement green initiatives. This is owing to lack of awareness and comprehension related to energy management solutions, thereby hindering the market growth.
- Emergence & growing adoption of cloud computing is expected to present lucrative business opportunities
Cloud computing has been vastly adopted in numerous industries though its potential remains untapped in the energy management solutions. Cloud-based technology presents various benefits of updating software in real-time thereby enabling users to utilize the data more efficiently. In EMS, organizations are increasingly adopting cloud-based software to gain significant benefits such as robustness, scalability, low cost, user-friendly access, and granular level analysis of energy consumption. These solutions can assist companies to generate more efficient reports, improve their performance, and achieve better return on investment. Hence, growing adoption of cloud-based EMS is expected to present excellent growth opportunity for market players.
- Delivering end-to-end customer experience to pose significant business opportunity
Energy management solutions provider can capitalize on untapped potential by offering end-to-end customer experience. SMEs are increasingly demanding software solutions that are convenient, simple, and offer value for money. By delivering, choices in buying options, EMS vendors can gain competitive edge in the market. Offering an end-to-end customer experience in line with industry standards and showing progressive elaboration with the service with respect to technology, processes, and service levels can help vendors to expand SME consumer base.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
- Growing adoption of Internet of Things (IoT) is major trend in the market
Various organizations are adopting IoT solutions, in order to enhance existing EMS facilities. Currently, building lighting systems can be integrated with IoT with the installation of simple controls and attain greater benefits such as understanding exact consumption of energy with real-time data thereby assisting in energy management and monitoring.
- Proliferation of smart meters to understand exact consumption of energy is another major trend
Many countries are increasingly adopting smart meters, in order to facilitate clear reading of energy consumption. For instance, according to the U.K. Government, in September 2016, 4.9 Mn smart and advanced meters were operating in businesses and homes across Great Britain, and the country. In November 2016, BEIS Published an updated Cost-Benefit Analysis of the rollout – smart meters are set to deliver significant net present value benefits to consumers, projected at US$ 6.1 Bn over the lifetime of the program.
The oil and gas vertical is accounted for 27.8% in 2019 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15.3% during the forecast period.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Value Chain Analysis
Key companies operating in the global energy management system (EMS) market are Schneider Electric SE, Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) Ltd., Eaton Corporation PLC, Cisco Systems, Inc., CA Technologies, General Electric Company, Emerson Process Management, Honeywell International, Inc., Siemens AG, and International Business Machine Corporation.
- Key companies in the market are focused on joint ventures, in order to enhance their market presence. For instance, in February 2017, Siemens AG entered into a joint venture named egrid to commercially implement the results from IREN2 and IRENE and, two joint smart grid research projects in Wildpoldsried.
- Major market players are involved in forming strategic alliances with other companies, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in February 2017, Honeywell International, Inc. entered into a strategic alliance with Denmark's largest retailer, Coop Denmark. The project aims to reduce energy consumption by 20% by 2020 and achieve mandated carbon reduction goals. The company’s energy solutions help Coop Denmark to lower energy consumption, minimize operational costs, and track returns on energy-saving measures, which is in line with Denmark's goal to be the world's first carbon-neutral capital by 2025.