A face shield is a personal protective equipment (PPE) used to protect the wearer's face from a physical hazard, chemical splashes, energy or radiation, and/or biological hazards. Face shields cover the facial area from the eyebrows to below the chin and the entire width of the wearer's head. Face shields come in various forms, such as reusable or disposable, but all provide a clear plastic barrier that covers the face. They are manufactured using different materials including acetate, propionate, polycarbonate, and polyethylene terephthalate glycol. They are excellent at preventing droplets from coming into contact with the nose, mouth, and eyes, where the virus enters to establish infection. In the last two years, the use of face shields has increased as a tool to help exit lockdown and prevent further spikes in infections of COVID-19.
The global face shields market was valued at US$ 3,371.1 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 3,054.9 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 2.4% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global face shields market in 2020, accounting for 38.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Face Shields Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In March 2020, Ford Motor Company partnered with 3M and GE Healthcare to produce face shields, ventilators, and respirators for healthcare workers and first respondents, those who are actively combating the COVID-19 infection.
In February 2020, Honeywell International Inc. increased the production at various facilities globally for manufacturing N95 protective face masks to meet the increasing demand from China, Europe, and North America due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Face Shields Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 3371.1 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 3,054.9 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product: Full Face Shields and Half Face Shields
- By Application: Healthcare, Chemical, Oil & gas, Construction, Manufacturing, and Others
3M, Sanax Protective Products, Prestige Ameritech, Precept, MSA Safety Incorporated, Lakeland Industries, Inc., Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Casco Bay Molding, Alpha Pro Tech, SureWerx, Honeywell International Inc., and Pyramex Safety Products, LLC, among others
- The outbreak of COVID-19
- Rising awareness regarding industrial occupational hazards
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Volatility in prices of raw materials
- Counterfeit face shields in the market
- Outbreak of COVID-19 (ongoing pandemic) is expected to aid in the growth of the global face shields market over the forecast period. For instance, in April 2020, Apple planned to ship 1 million face shields a week for healthcare workers. The first shipment was delivered to Kaiser Hospital facilities in the Santa Clara Valley. Apple has also donated 20 million N95 masks to organizations to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Rising awareness regarding industrial occupational hazards is expected to boost growth of the global face shields market during the forecast period. For instance, as per the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), eye accidents costs more than US$ 300 million per year in medical costs, leading to lost production time and worker compensation.
Figure 2. Global Face Shields Market Share (%), by Application, 2021
- Volatility in prices of raw materials is expected to hinder growth of the global face shields market. For instance, face shields are manufactured using different materials including acetate, polycarbonate, and polyethylene terephthalate glycol. These polymers are derived from oil, and hence, the face shield industry is indirectly dependent on the prices of crude oil.
- Counterfeit face shields in the market is expected to hamper growth of the global face shields market. Counterfeit face shields are falsely marketed and sold as being approved or designed and may not be capable of providing appropriate protection to front line medical personnel.
- Rapid growth of the manufacturing and construction industry is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for player in the global face shields market. For instance, according to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), India is expected to become the 3rd largest construction market in the world by 2025. Moreover, India, China, and the U.S are expected to account for almost 60 per cent of all global growth in the sector by 2025.
- Increasing awareness about workplace safety in various industry verticals is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for player in the global face shields market. For instance, the 2018-19 Healthy Workplaces Manage Dangerous Substances campaign (European Agency for Safety and Health at Work) aimed to raise awareness of dangerous substances in the workplace and the risks they pose, and to create culture of prevention by disseminating campaign materials and carrying out promotional and engagement activities.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increase in demand for face shields worldwide due to the outbreak of COVID-19 is expected to augment the growth of the global face shields market. For instance, in April 2021, Steelbird Helmets announced that sales of Steelbird face shields are gradually picking up, as the deadly second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic surges across India.
- Increasing awareness among people due to the outbreak of COVID-19 is expected to propel growth of the global face shields market. For instance, over the past two years, there has been a growing awareness of the potential use of face shields as a tool to help break out of lockdown and prevent further increases in infection with COVID-19.
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Alpha Pro Tech
- Casco Bay Molding
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Lakeland Industries, Inc.
- MSA Safety Incorporated
- Prestige Ameritech
- Pyramex Safety Products, LLC
- Sanax Protective Products
A face shield is a personal protective equipment (PPE) used to protect the wearer's face from a physical hazard, chemical splashes, energy or radiation, and biological hazards. They provide a high level of protection for the wearer. Face shields come in various forms, such as reusable or disposable, but all provide a clear plastic barrier that covers the face. Polymers derived from the oil, such as propionate, acetate, polyethylene terephthalate glycol, and polycarbonate, are widely used to manufacture these face shields. The demand or use of face shields had increased due to the outbreak of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
Emergence of COVID-19 (ongoing pandemic) around the world is expected to propel growth of the global face shields market over the forecast period. Wearing face shields is recommended as part of personal protective equipment (PPE) and as a public health measure to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). For instance, in April 2020, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) designed disposable face shields (in response to COVID-19) that can be mass produced quickly to address hospitals’ needs nationwide.
Moreover, the manufacturer also planned to ramp up and increase the rate of manufacturing further with the ability to fabricate in more than 80 facilities nationwide.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global face shields market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- This report profiles key players in the global face shields market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include 3M, Sanax Protective Products, Prestige Ameritech, Precept, MSA Safety Incorporated, Lakeland Industries, Inc., Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Casco Bay Molding, Honeywell International Inc., Alpha Pro Tech, SureWerx, and Pyramex Safety Products, LLC, among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global face shields market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global face shields market.
- Global Face Shields Market, By Product:
- Full Face Shields
- Half Face Shields
- Global Face Shields Market, By Application:
- Oil & gas
- Global Face Shields Market, By Region:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa