Global human microbiome market is estimated to be valued at US$ 617.9 Mn in 2023, and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 24.6% during the forecast period (2023-2030).
Analysts’ Views on Global Human Microbiome Market:
Human microbiome includes all the bacteria, archaea, viruses, and eukaryotes that are present inside and outside bodies. The human microbiota consists of the 10-100 trillion symbiotic microbial cells in each individual. Increased awareness about prebiotics and probiotics and their role in preventive health measures are expected to drive the market growth. Rising geriatric population and growing prevalence of lifestyle diseases like cancer and autoimmune are expected to drive the market growth. The healthcare infrastructure of developing countries globally receives funding from government for bigger projects like ‘human microbiome project’ and ‘the earth Microbiome’. These bigger initiatives provides opportunities to market players for research and development new products in human microbiome that drives the market growth during the forecast period.
Figure 1. Global Human Microbiome Market Share (%), By Product Type, 2023
To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy
Global Human Microbiome Market– Drivers
- Emergence of the newly advanced microbiome based therapies like live biotherapeutic products (LBPs): Emergence of the newly advanced microbiome based therapies like live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) are expected to drive the human micro biome market growth. For instance, in Nov 2022, Ferring B.V., a global pharmaceutical company, receivedapproval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for REBYOTA (fecal microbiota, live-jslm), a novel drug based on microbiota-based live biotherapeutic, that is indicated for the prevention of recurrence of Clostridioides difficile (C. difficile) infection in individuals 18 years of age and older, following antibiotic treatment for recurrent CDI.
- Increasing awareness about probiotics and their role in preventive health and in balancing gut microbiome: Increasing choice of adapting to healthy lifestyle, owing to increased awareness about prebiotics and probiotics and their role in preventive health measures and in balancing gut Microbiome in North America region. For instance, according to the article published by Gastrointestinal Society in Decmber, 2022 to manage dysbiosis, “if bacterial infection the antibiotic treatment might destroy the offending bacteria, The probiotics and prebiotics can help in microbiota restoration or simply adding back bacteria to help improve an individual’s microbiome”.
Figure 2. Global Human Microbiome Market Share(%), By Region, 2023
To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy
Global Human Microbiome Market- Regional Analysis
Among region, North America is estimated to hold a dominant position in the global human microbiome market over the forecast period. North America is estimated to hold 34.7 % of the market share in 2023. The global human microbiome market is expected to witness significant growth in the near future due to high prevalence of orthopedic disorders and dysfunctions, favorable health reimbursement, and increased awareness. Increasing prevalence of lifestyle diseases like cancer andautoimmune disorders contributes to growth of human microbiome market in North America region. For instance, in March 2022, according to an article published by Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s in Fact sheet magazine, around 1.6 and 3.1 million Americans suffer from IBD out of which 25% are below he age of 18 years as per the data published for year 2021.
Global Human Microbiome Market– Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Since the COVID-19 virus outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to over 100 countries across the globe, and the World Health Organization declared it a public health emergency on January 30, 2020.
COVID-19 affected the economy in three main ways: by directly affecting the production and demand of drugs, by creating disruptions in distribution channels, and through its financial impact on firms and financial markets. Due to nationwide lockdowns, several countries such as China, India, Saudi Arabia, the U.A.E., Egypt, and others faced problems regarding transportation of things from one place to another.
However, the COVID-19 pandemic had positive impact on the global human microbiome market, owing to increased researches on microbial association with human body. For instance, in March 2021, according to an article published by frontiers microbitechnology magazine, under the section infectious diseases, there are ongoing researches on direct relationships between the COVID-19 virus and the lung and gut microbiomes which can be bidirectional. Changing health and hygiene, changes to mood and diet can lead to enduring changes to the gut microbiome at an individual and a population level.
Human Microbiome Market Report Coverage
|Market Size in 2023:
|US$ 617.9 Mn
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2021
|2023 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
|2030 Value Projection:
|US$ 2,884.5 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Food (Probiotics, Prebiotics, Medical Food Supplements), Microbiome Drugs, Fecal Micro biota Transplant, Others (Symbiotic, Antibiotics, etc.)
- By Appplication: Therapeutics, Diagnostics, Nutrition and Deities, Others (Cosmetics, Animal health etc. )
- By Disease Indication: Auto Immune Disorder, Clostridium Difficile Infection, Metabolic Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel disorder, Infectious Diseases, Others (Cancer, Rare Diseases)
- By Disribution Channel: Hospital, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies
Seres Therapeutics, Biomesense, Microbiotica, Infant Bacterial Therapeutics AB, Vedanta Biosciences, Inc., Second genome therapeutics, 4D Pharma Ferring Inc, Enterome, BiomX, MaaT Pharma, Azitra, Illumina, Inc, Locus Biosciences, Inc, Finch Therapeutics Group, Inc, Rebiotix Inc, Servatus Ltd, Microbiome Research Pvt. Ltd, AOBiome, Axial Therapeutics, Inc, Biomica.
- Increasing incidence of orthopedic disorders and dysfunctions
- Increasing preference of physicians for robotic surgery Increasing expenditure for the treatment and management of rheumatoid arthritis
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Disadvantages associated with equipment surgery
Global Human Microbiome Market- Segmentation
Global human microbiome market report is segmented into by product type, by disease indication, by application, by distribution channel, and by region.
- By Product Type, the market is segmented into Food (Probiotics, Prebiotics, Medical Food Supplements), Microbome Drugs, Fecal Microbiota Transplant, and Others (Symbiotic, Antibiotics, etc.). Out of which, the food is expected to hold a dominant position in the global human microbiome market during the forecast period due to increasing awareness of pre, post, pro-biotic food and food supplements for healthy lifestyle.
- By Disease Indication, the market is segmented into Auto Immune Disorder, Clostridium Difficile Infection, Metabolic Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel disorder, Infectious Diseases, Others (Cancer, Rare Diseases). Out of which, the Clostridium Difficle Infection is expected to hold a dominant position in the global human microbiome market during the forecast period due to recent innovative microbiome-therapy drug launches.
- By Application, the market is segmented into Therapeutics, Diagnostics, Nutrition and Deities, Others (Cosmetics, Animal health etc.). Out of which, Nutrition is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period and this is attributed to increasing awareness on prebiotic and probiotic consumption and its health benefits.
- By Distribution Channel, the market is segmented into hospitals, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Out of which, retail pharmacies segment is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period due to increasing awareness on available over the counter drugs and pre, post, pro – biotics and cosmetics over the retail stores.
Among all the segmentation, the microbiome drug segment is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period due to ongoing research and development in the microbiome based products and drugs and rising funding from bigger MNCs and Pharmaceutical companies to research institutes and smaller firms in this fields.
Global Human Microbiome Market- Cross Sectional Analysis
Key players are focusing on organic strategies such as the launch of new drug which is expected to drive expected to boost the microbiome drug segment in human microbiome market in North America region. For instance, on April 26, 2023, Seres Therapeutics, a commercial stage microbiome threpeutics manufacturing company, in collaboration with Nestlé Health Science, a global leading company in nutrition science, announced that the U.S. food and Drug Administration (FDA) had approved VOWST, first orally administered microbiota based therapeutic for the prevention of recurring C. difficile infection. These kinds of developments in the healthcare system and rising health expenditures are fueling the global human microbiome market growth. Increased number of imflamatory bowel disorder in the U.S and Canada is growing the human microbiome market in North America Region.
Global Human Microbiome Market: Key Developments
- In April 2023, MaaTpharma, a clinical stage microbiome therapeutics company, recieved the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) approval to proceed with phase III trial of ‘MaaT013’ drug indicated to treat gastrointestinal acute graft-versus-host disease (aGvHD) as a third line of treatment
- In June 2020, Enterome SA, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company with development of microbiome-immunoinflammation, financed totaling US$ 52.6 million to develop and progress the clinical development of therapeutic pipeline, and clinical trials of EO2401, a novel ‘OncoMimic’ cancer immunotherapy
- In May 2022, 4D Pharma, a global pharmaceutical company that develops biotherapeutic products for diseases such as cancer, asthma, autism, and autoimmune conditions such as arthritis, announced clinical trial for MRx0518 with combination bavencio, a PD – L1 blocking antibody indicated for the treatment of urothelial cancer
- On January 16, 2023, Genetic Analysis AS, a research driven diagnostic company that focuses on innovative diagnostic solutions with microbiota analysis, entered into an agreement with Microbiome Research Pvt. Ltd., a India-based microbiome company, for launching a test service portfolio based on the GA-map Dysbiosis Test, and thus, making it the first CE-IVD marked standardized gut microbiome test.
- In March 2022, EnteroBiotix Limited, a clinical stage biotechnology company, announced the initation of phase II clinical trial of EBX-102, an orally administered capsule that is indicated to treat liver cirrhosis and hepatic encephalopathy.
Global Human Microbiome Market: Key Trends
- Introduction of Human Microbiome with advanced technology of next gen sequencing: The human microgenomics research and development got drived with the introduction of technical advancement like metagenomics and next gen sequencing which gave opportunity for the microbiome market to unravel the human microbiome and analyze its role associated health, beauty and disease by “Human Microbiome Project”.For instance, National Institute of Health started ‘the Human Microbiome Project (HMP)’ in 2007 wih the goal of identifying and characterizing the microorganisms found in association with both healthy and diseased humans and the National Microbiome. This initiative accelerated research on the human microbiome was initiated by the U.S. government. The field of the human microbiome was funded by $115 million by the U.S. government. By the end of year 2017, HMP investigators published over 650 scientific papers which is cited 70,000 times as of today.
Global Human Microbiome Market: Restraint
- Stringent regulatory requirements for approval of new products: To launch a drug, it has go through all the regulation procedures by the regulatory authorities. For instance, The European Union has strict requirements for nutritional claims and specifies them in the Claims-Regulation (European Directive 1924/2006) appendix . The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classifies items based on the claims made by the marketer, not on the ingredients or any other characteristics of the products themselves. As a drug is developed, it has to go through costly investigational new drug (IND) application procedure.
Global Human Microbiome Market - Key Players
Major players operating in the global human microbiome market include Seres Therapeutics, Biomesense, Microbiotica, Infant Bacterial Therapeutics AB, Vedanta Biosciences, Inc., SECOND GENOME THERAPEUTICS, 4D Pharma Ferring Inc, Enterome, BiomX, MaaT Pharma, Azitra, Illumina, Inc, Locus Biosciences, Inc, Finch Therapeutics Group, Inc, Rebiotix Inc, Servatus Ltd, Microbiome Research Pvt. Ltd, AOBiome, Axial Therapeutics, Inc, Biomica.
*Definition: Human microbiome are the full range of microorganisms that are present inside and outside the Humans. The human micro biota consists of the 10-100 trillion symbiotic microbial cells primarily bacteria in the gut the human. These microbiomes are mostly are symbiotic that benefits human and some are pathogenic promoting disease. In a healthy body, pathogenic and symbiotic microbiota coexist without problems.