Kombucha is a fermented drink made from sugar and black tea. It consists of variety of minerals, enzymes, and vitamins. Kombucha is a nutrient-rich drink, which is fermented with a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY). SCOBY also called Mushroom, consumes 90% of sugar during the fermentation process, making a low-sugar end product. This drink is gaining popularity due to its health benefits and is available in food stores and grocery stores. Kombucha can be brewed at home using methods such as continuous brew and batch method. Kombucha manufacturers are aiming at producing new flavors with advertisements to attract consumers.
Increasing awareness regarding health benefits and demand for healthy beverages are driving growth of global kombucha market. Major beverage brands focused on entering into manufacturing of this drink, which is driving growth of global kombucha market. However, alcohol content in beverage is a major restraint for growth of kombucha market.
Global Kombucha Market Taxonomy
On the basis of type, the global kombucha market is segmented into:
On the basis of flavor, the global kombucha market is segmented into:
- Herbs & Spices
- Apple, Mango, and Coconut
On the basis of the distribution channel, the global kombucha market is segmented into:
- Health Stores
- Online Stores
The flavor segment has largest demand in the kombucha market and it is anticipated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period. Therefore, companies are focusing on developing new flavors to meet the demand of consumers. Supermarket segment has witnessed prominent role in the distribution channel of this product, which has boosted growth of the market.
Global Kombucha Market Outlook
- North America is projected to be the dominant region in the kombucha market. The U.S. is anticipated to contribute the largest share to this market. Increasing awareness regarding health benefits of this drink is fueling the growth of the kombucha market. The American Cancer Society stated that this beverage has promoted as a cure-all for a large range of health issues, such as baldness, cancer, AIDS, insomnia, arthritis, and intestinal disorders. Latin America witnessed moderate growth in the kombucha market, owing to increasing demand for healthy drinks in the economies such as Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and Brazil.
- Asia Pacific region witnessed significant growth rate and holds a second largest share in the kombucha market, owing to the growing population and increasing demand from the emerging economies such as India and China. Kombucha being originated in this region is making this region fastest growing market having low production and processing cost, in turn driving the growth kombucha market. Europe is witnessed to have a moderate growth in the global kombucha market, owing to the rising government regulations, which is hampering growth of the market.
Hain Celestial Group Inc. launched kombucha energy shots in 2011. Whole Food and Wal-Mart markets among numerous other retailers have merged with brewers for distributing this beverage. The major operating in the global kombucha market include Reed’s Inc., Millennium Products Inc., Revive Kombucha, The Hain Celestial Group, Kosmic Kombucha, Buchi Kombucha, Townshend’ Tea Company, Gt’s Kombucha, and The Humm Kombucha Llc.
Global Kombucha Market Key Developments:
- On 5th March 2019, Revive Kombucha announced the launch of Revive Sparkling Kombucha, a traditionally fermented, organic, and shelf-stable craft brew. This drink is available in 12 ounce cans with a variety of flavors such as Mango Orange, Cherry Hibiscus, Strawberry Lemon, and Citrus Ginger. This product was launched in order to attract the health conscious customers.
- On 13th August 2018, Brew Dr. Kombucha, U.S., announced the launch of its fall season, limited edition kombucha, Harvest. This limited-edition Harvest was launched in different flavors including apricot, and tarragon. This launch included products with organic and raw ingredients, which is further expected to attract the health conscious customers in the U.S.
- On 14th March 2013, The Hain Celestial Group, Inc., a natural and organic products company in the U.S. announced the launch of 100 new healthier options of food and beverages in different flavors. This launch was focused on the consumers that are inclined towards purchasing natural and organic products.