The Melamine Foam Block Market size is expected to reach US$ 2.20 billion by 2030, from US$ 1.29 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 7.9% during the forecast period. Melamine foam is a foam like material made from the thermosetting plastic polymer melamine resin. It is used for soundproofing and thermal insulation in buildings, transportation, and industry. The market is driven by the rising demand from the building and construction industry.
The Melamine Foam Block Market is segmented by type, application, end use industry, and region. By type, the market is segmented into rigid melamine foam, semi-rigid melamine foam, and flexible melamine foam. Rigid melamine foam is expected to account for the largest share during the forecast period owing to its increasing use in construction and transportation applications.
Global Melamine Foam Block Market Regional Insights
- North America is the largest market for melamine foam block, accounting for a share of over 25% in 2022. The growth of the market in this region is driven by the increasing demand for melamine foam block in the construction, automotive, and electronics industries.
- Europe is the second largest market for melamine foam block, accounting for a share of over 20% in 2022. The growth of the market in this region is driven by the increasing demand for melamine foam block in the automotive, furniture, and packaging industries.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing market for melamine foam block, with a CAGR of over 5% from 2022 to 2028. The growth of the market in this region is driven by the increasing demand for melamine foam block in the construction, automotive, and electronics industries.
Figure 1. Global Melamine Foam Block Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Global Melamine Foam Block Market Drivers
- Increasing use in HVAC systems: The use of melamine foam in HVAC systems for noise control and thermal insulation is driving the market growth. For instance, melamine foam is increasingly being used in duct liners.
- High demand from transportation industry: The transportation industry is increasingly using melamine foam for noise control in vehicles, ships, and aircrafts. This is expected to drive market growth during the forecast period.
- Rapid urbanization in emerging economies: Rapid urbanization and population growth in emerging economies is leading to an increase in construction activities. This is driving the demand for melamine foam for insulation and soundproofing.
- Strict regulations for noise control: Stringent regulations regarding noise control in developed regions is resulting in increased adoption of melamine foam based solutions. This is positively impacting the market growth.
Global Melamine Foam Block Market Opportunities
- Increasing adoption in developing regions: The growing construction and manufacturing sectors in developing regions such as Asia Pacific and Latin America present significant growth opportunities for melamine foam suppliers.
- Innovation in product offerings: Manufacturers have opportunities to launch innovative product offerings such as melamine foam with added capabilities like fire resistance, moisture resistance etc. This can help gain greater market share.
- Applications in new industries: Expanding the application of melamine foam in relatively untapped industries such as marine, consumer appliances etc through research and development can offer growth opportunities for players in the market.
- Sustainability trend: The shift towards sustainable insulation materials is an opportunity for melamine foam suppliers to position it as an eco-friendly product in green buildings. This can attract new consumers in the construction sector.
Global Melamine Foam Block Market Trends
- Increasing adoption of eco-friendly insulation: There is a rising trend of using eco-friendly insulation materials like melamine foam due to its recyclability and low VOCs. This supports market growth.
- Emergence of flexible melamine foam: Flexible melamine foam is an emerging trend owing to its easy installation around curved surfaces. Companies are developing flexible foam variants.
- Growing DIY trend: The DIY trend among consumers for small soundproofing and insulation projects is resulting in the sales of melamine foam through retail channels. Companies are targeting DIY customers.
- Advancements in manufacturing technology: Manufacturers are adopting technologies like digital printing to provide decorative finishes on melamine foam. This provides business opportunities.
Global Melamine Foam Block Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 1.29 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 2.20 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Application: Cleaning Products, Acoustic Insulation, Thermal Insulation, Automotive, Electronics, Industrial
- By End User: Residential, Commercial, Industrial
- By Distribution Channel: Online, Offline
- By Production Process: Batch Foaming Process, Continuous Foaming Process
- By Density: Low-density foam, Medium-density foam, High-density foam
- By Price Range: Economy, Mid-Range, Premium
BASF SE, SINOYQX, Puyang Green Yingli New Material Tech Co. Ltd, BEIJING GUOJIAN ANKE, ZHEJIANG LIN'AN YUNQING MELAMINE PLASTIC FOAM CO., PentaClick, Acoufelt, Clark Foam, Reilly Foam Corporation, Soundcoat, Festa.
- Increasing use in HVAC systems
- High demand from transportation industry
- Rapid urbanization in emerging economies
- Strict regulations for noise control
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Volatility in raw material prices
- Availability of substitutes
- Limitations in high temperature applications
- Health hazards of formaldehyde exposure
Global Melamine Foam Block Market Restrain
- Volatility in raw material prices: Fluctuations in raw material prices such as melamine and formaldehyde can hamper the profit margins of manufacturers. This restrains market growth.
- Availability of substitutes: The presence of alternative insulation materials like polyurethane foam, mineral wool etc restricts the adoption of melamine foam in some applications.
- Limitations in high temperature applications: The inability of melamine foam to withstand very high temperatures above 250°C limits its use, thereby hindering market growth.
- Health hazards of formaldehyde exposure: Exposure to traces of formaldehyde emissions from melamine foam is a major health concern. This can make regulatory compliance challenging.
New product launches
- BASF introduced Basotect G+, a new melamine resin foam for flat roof insulation. It offers excellent thermal insulation and moisture protection.
- Puren launched melamine foam tubes for insulating pipes and HVAC systems. It prevents condensation and energy loss.
- SINOYQX developed flexible melamine foam sheets that offer easy installation around curved surfaces. It improves product adoption.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In 2021, Recticel acquired FoamPartner, expanding its position in acoustic and thermal insulation foams including melamine foam.
- BASF partnered with MAHLE in 2020 to develop melamine resin foam for e-mobility thermal management solutions.
- SINOYQX collaborated with Chinese rail companies in 2019 to develop melamine foam products for soundproofing and insulation in high speed trains.
Figure 2. Global Melamine Foam Block Market Share (%), by Application, 2023
Top companies in Melamine Foam Block Market
- BASF SE
- Puyang Green Yingli New Material Tech Co. Ltd
- BEIJING GUOJIAN ANKE
- ZHEJIANG LIN'AN YUNQING MELAMINE PLASTIC FOAM CO.
- Clark Foam
- Reilly Foam Corporation
*Definition: Melamine foam, also known as melamine resin foam, refers to a foam-like material made from melamine resin, which is a thermoset plastic polymer. It is manufactured by impregnating melamine and formaldehyde into a foam structure with the help of a foaming agent. The open-cell structure of melamine foam gives it excellent sound absorption and insulation properties while being very lightweight. It is a durable, fire-resistant, and moisture-resistant material available in rigid, semi-rigid and flexible forms. Melamine foam has wide applications across industries such as construction, transportation, industrial manufacturing for purposes ranging from insulation, soundproofing, damping, filtration to cushioning. It is increasingly being used as a sustainable alternative to materials like polyurethane foam owing to its recyclability and reusability.