Melamine is white crystalline powder generally consisting of carbon, nitrogen, and hydrogen. It is an odorless, tasteless, and non-toxic industrial chemical. Melamine powder is used for the manufacture of resins and adhesives, which are used to laminate floors, wood-based panels, and decorative surfaces for furniture. It is produced from natural gas and carbon dioxide. Melamine formaldehyde resins’ laminates offer better hardness and resistance to water, heat, and stain.
Increasing demand for melamine powder in applications such as coatings and wood additives, owing to its desired physical qualities such as strength, moisture, color retention, surface consistency, stain and flame resistance, hardness, sound absorption, and transparency is one of the major factors driving growth of the global melamine powder market.
- On the basis of application, laminate segment held significant growth in the global melamine powder market in 2017, and is expected to increase growth during the forecast period, owing to high demand and various applications of melamine powder in laminate. Melamine powder provides high mechanical strength, heat resistance, and electrical insulating properties that are prerequisite for manufacturing standard quality laminate.
- Asia Pacific held significant growth in the global melamine powder market in 2017, and is expected to increase growth during the forecast period. This is majorly due to the growing demand for the melamine for manufacturing dinnerware, which is mostly used in cafeterias, restaurants and other institutes such as hospitals and schools. Its chemical, electrical and thermal resistance, high UV stability, and resistance to water and weather, makes it suitable for the dinnerware. These are the major factors, driving the market growth in the region.
Key players operating in the global melamine powder market include Borealis AG, BASF SE, Mitsui Chemicals Inc., Methanol Holdings, OCI N.V., Qatar Melamine Company, Grupa Azoty Zaklady Azotowe Pulawy S.A., Cornerstone Chemical Company, Shanxi Yangmei Fengxi Fertilizer Industry, and Xinji Jiuyuan Chemical Co., Ltd.
- In July 2017, Littlejohn & Co., LLC, an investment firm announced its investment to acquire Cornerstone Chemical Company, a manufacturer of chemicals including crylonitrile, melamine, sulfuric acid and others. The acquisition aimed to growth and expansion of acquired company.
- In March 2016, Borealis, manufacturer of polyolefins, base chemicals and fertilizers announced its investment in melamine and fertilizer production facilities in Linz, Austria. The planned to invest US$ 89.32 million in its manufacturing plant. The investment by the company is aimed to improve efficiency and achieving environmental performance by installing enhanced equipment.
- In October 2014, HELM AG with its partner company Proman AG has taken over the 56.53% Clico/Clico Financial and are thus holding now 100% shareholding of the production sites including 5 Methanol plants, 1 Ammonia plant, 1 UAN plant and 2 Melamine plants, with a ratio of 75% for Proman AG and 25% for HELM AG.
On the basis of product type the global melamine powder market is segmented into:
- Kitchen Tools
- Serving and Pot Spoons
- Dinnerware Set and Crockery
On the basis of application, the global melamine powder market is segmented into:
On the basis of region, the global melamine powder market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa