The Global Micro Motor market size was valued at US$ 41.20 billion in 2023 and is expected to reach US$ 66.15 billion by 2030, grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7% from 2023 to 2030. Micro motors are miniaturized motors with a diameter less than 25.4 mm. They are used across various applications such as medical equipment, industrial automation, automotive, construction equipment owing to their compact size, high torque, and customized speed control. The key drivers include increasing adoption of automated systems and robotics. The Micro Motor Market is segmented by type, technology, application, end-user industry and region. By type, the market is segmented into AC, DC and stepper micro-motors. The DC micro-motors segment accounts for the largest share owing to their increasing use in automotive and medical devices.
Micro Motor Market Regional Insights
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Micro Motor Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 28.7% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high adoption of automation and presence of major manufacturers.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for Micro Motor Market, accounting for over 23% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in is attributed to increasing investments in industrial automation.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Micro Motor Market, with a CAGR of over 37% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to rapid industrialization and growing automation across various sectors.
Figure 1. Global Micro Motor Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
Micro Motor Market Drivers:
- Increasing Adoption of Automated Systems: The growing adoption of automated systems and robotics across industries such as healthcare, automotive and aerospace is driving the demand for micro motors. Key companies are launching new automated products to capitalize on this trend.
- Rapid Industrialization in Emerging Economies: The rapid pace of industrialization and infrastructure development in emerging economies is leading to increasing demand for micro motors for use across industrial machinery and systems. For instance, China's industrial robot installations increased 20% in 2021.
- Technological Advancements: Advances in motor technologies such as introduction of brushless DC motors, high-efficiency synchronous motors are key factors stimulating the product demand. Companies are launching advanced micro motors with higher precision and speed control.
- Growth of Medical Devices Industry: The rising global prevalence of chronic diseases and increasing elderly population is boosting the medical devices industry, which in turn is propelling the product demand. Micro motors are used in various medical applications.
Micro Motor Market Opportunities:
- Emergence of Collaborative Robots: The emergence of collaborative robots that work safely alongside humans in shared workspaces presents an opportunity for micro motor manufacturers. Compact motors are required to facilitate robot movements.
- Rising Demand for Electric Vehicles: The global electric vehicles market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 22% from 2022 to 2030. This presents lucrative opportunities for micro motor suppliers, as EVs utilize high precision motors for steering and other systems.
- Increasing Adoption of Miniature Drones: The growing adoption of miniature drones across commercial and defense applications is expected to spur the demand for specially designed micro motors used in drone actuation and navigation systems.
- Growth in Consumer Electronics: Rapid growth in consumer electronics such as smartphones, wearables, home appliances is fostering the application of precision micro motors for haptics, camera modules and other electronic components.
Micro Motor Market Trends:
- Development of Smart Micro Motors: Key manufacturers are engaged in developing smart micro motors with in-built sensors, servo drives and controllers to provide real-time diagnostics and monitoring. This facilitates predictive maintenance and reduces downtime.
- Focus on Improving Energy Efficiency: Ongoing efforts towards enhancing efficiency of micro motors by using alternative materials such as amorphous metals and development of 3-phase technology are key trends stimulating product demand across industries.
- Growing Adoption of Brushless DC Motors: Brushless DC motors are rapidly replacing traditional brushed DC motors owing to their higher efficiency, reliability, speed control range and longer lifespan. Market players are expanding their brushless micro motors portfolio.
- Miniaturization of Micro Motors: Manufacturers are engaged in R&D aimed towards reducing the overall size and weight of micro motors without compromising on output power and torque. Miniaturized motors support portability of modern gadgets and equipment.
Micro Motor Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 41.20 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 66.15 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Type of Micro Motor: Brushed Micro Motors, Brushless Micro Motors
- By Application: Consumer Electronics, Automotive, Medical Devices, Industrial, Aerospace and Defense, Others
- By End User Industry: Electronics, Automotive, Healthcare, Industrial, Aerospace and Defense, Others
- By Power Consumption: Low Power Micro Motors, High Power Micro Motors
- By Motor Size: Miniature Micro Motors, Sub-Miniature Micro Motors
- By Control Mechanism: Closed-Loop Control, Open-Loop Control
- By Sales Channel: Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), Distributors and Resellers, Online Retail
- By Technology: Traditional Micro Motors, Advanced Micro Motors
- By Functionality: Linear Micro Motors, Rotary Micro Motors, Combination of Both
- By Price Range: Low-Cost Micro Motors, Premium Micro Motors
Nidec Corporation, Bosch, Mabuchi Motor Co Ltd, Abb Ltd, Siemens Ag, Denso Corporation, Maxon Motor Ag, Mitsuba Corporation, Johnson Electric Holdings Limited, Brose Fahrzeugteile Gmbh & Co. Kg, Portescap, Allied Motion Technologies Inc., Arc Systems Inc., Constar Micromotor Co. Ltd., Bühler Motor GmbH, Fritz Faulhaber GmbH & Co. KG, Ebmpapst, Faulhaber Group, Chinabase Machinery (Hangzhou) Co. Ltd, Mini Motor
- Increasing Adoption of Automated Systems
- Rapid Industrialization in Emerging Economies
- Technological Advancements
- Growth of Medical Devices Industry
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High Development Costs
- Overheating Problems
- Presence of Low-Cost Alternatives
Micro Motor Market Restraints:
- High Development Costs: The complex designing process and precision machining techniques involved in micro motor manufacturing lead to high costs, hampering adoption among price-sensitive industries and regions.
- Overheating Problems: The miniaturized size of micro motors often leads to overheating and performance issues. Mitigating these drawbacks poses a key challenge for manufacturers.
- Presence of Low-Cost Alternatives: The availability of small-sized low-cost motors hampers the penetration of micro motors in price sensitive markets and low-end applications.
New product launches
- In January 2022, Portescap launched the 22ECP planar brushless slotless DC micromotor providing high power density and efficiency for medical devices. It offers 50% more torque than previous models.
- In June 2021, Maxon Motor introduced the EC-i 30 BL brushless DC motor with an integrated speed and position controller. It eliminates the need for external electronics.
- In May 2022, Faulhaber launched the most powerful micro drive system for surgical power tools delivering 2.1 Nm of torque. It ensures high performance drilling in bones.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In June 2022, Allied Motion Technologies acquired ThinGap Motor Technologies, a manufacturer of ultra-thin motors. This strengthened Allied's precision micro motor capabilities.
- In January 2021, Brose acquired a majority stake in Mo-Sci Corporation, a supplier of glass and ceramic micro motors for medical devices. The move bolstered Brose's mechatronics business.
- In April 2022, Portescap partnered with Spinicity to utilize advanced micro motor technologies in Spinicity’s rehabilitation products for stroke patients.
Figure 2. Global Micro Motor Market Share (%), By Type, 2023
Top companies in Micro Motor Market
- Nidec Corporation
- Mabuchi Motor Co Ltd
- Abb Ltd
- Siemens Ag
- Denso Corporation
- Maxon Motor Ag
- Mitsuba Corporation
- Johnson Electric Holdings Limited
- Brose Fahrzeugteile Gmbh & Co. Kg
- Allied Motion Technologies Inc.
- Arc Systems Inc.
- Constar Micromotor Co., Ltd.
- Bühler Motor GmbH
- Fritz Faulhaber GmbH & Co. KG
- Faulhaber Group
- Chinabase Machinery (Hangzhou) Co., Ltd
- Mini Motor
*Definition: The Micro Motor Market refers to the market for motors and motion devices that are extremely compact in size, typically ranging from 0.3 mm to 25 mm in diameter. Micro motors utilize electromagnetic energy and convert electrical energy into mechanical motion.