The global Solar Vehicle market size was valued at US$ 172.62 billion in 2023 and is expected to reach US$ 789.81 billion by 2030, grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 23.3% from 2023 to 2030. Solar vehicles are automobiles powered by solar energy through photovoltaic cells integrated into the vehicle. The solar cells convert sunlight into electricity to charge the battery, which runs the motor. Solar vehicles are zero-emission and eco-friendly with lower fuel costs compared to conventional vehicles. The key drivers of the solar vehicle market include government subsidies and incentives, declining costs of solar panels, rising fuel prices, and growing adoption of sustainable transportation.
The Solar Vehicle Market is segmented by vehicle type, solar panel type, EV type, component, charging type, and region. By vehicle type, the passenger vehicle segment accounted for the largest share of over 40% in 2022. Passenger vehicles include sedans, hatchbacks, and SUVs. The increasing demand for sustainable personal mobility is driving the growth of solar-powered passenger vehicles.
Solar Vehicle Market Regional Insights
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Solar Vehicle Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 45% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to supportive government policies, rising fuel costs, and increasing adoption of solar technology in the region.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for Solar Vehicle Market, accounting for over 22% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to stringent emission norms and rising demand for green transportation.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Solar Vehicle Market, with a share of over 25% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to rapid urbanization, growing population, and increasing disposable incomes in the region.
Figure 1. Global Solar Vehicle Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Solar Vehicle Market Drivers:
- Government Support for EVs and Renewable Energy: Governments globally are promoting electric vehicles through subsidies, tax rebates and other incentives to reduce emissions and meet climate goals. Many countries have also set ambitious renewable energy This policy push for EVs and renewable energy is expected to accelerate the adoption of solar vehicles. Countries like China, Germany, Netherlands and California have already taken initiatives to build solar EV charging infrastructure. The regulatory support provides growth opportunities for solar vehicle manufacturers.
- Growing Adoption of Solar Technology: Solar energy has emerged as a major renewable energy source with falling costs of photovoltaic panels. Solar power is eco-friendly and provides energy security. The global solar power capacity crossed 880 GW in 2021. Several automakers are leveraging advancements in solar technology to develop solar vehicles. The integration of flexible, lightweight solar cells enables them to efficiently harness solar energy during driving for powering the motor. The mainstreaming of solar power will drive the adoption of solar vehicles.
- Rising Fuel Prices: The instability in oil supply and rising demand has led to surge in gasoline and diesel prices globally. This makes internal combustion engine vehicles more expensive to run. On the other hand, solar vehicles have lower running costs as the sun provides free energy for charging the batteries. The savings on fuel costs improve the value proposition of solar cars and two-wheelers. The high fuel prices encourage consumers to switch to more affordable solar vehicles.
- Declining Battery Costs: Lithium-ion batteries account for around 40% of the total cost of EVs. However, driven by economies of scale and technology improvements, battery pack prices have declined nearly 90% over the last decade. The falling battery costs are making EVs more cost competitive. This will drive mass market adoption, providing an indirect boost to solar electric vehicles that also use Li-ion batteries. The affordability of batteries complements solar technology in reducing the upfront costs of solar vehicles.
Solar Vehicle Market Opportunities:
- Product Development and Innovation: The solar vehicle market is still in early stages with significant potential for product development and innovation. Opportunities exist to improve solar cell efficiency, storage capacity, powertrain performance and vehicle design. Emerging technologies such as perovskite solar cells, solid-state batteries and in-wheel motors can be leveraged to address range anxiety and performance issues. Further lightweighting through advanced materials and additive manufacturing can enhance efficiency. These innovations can help unleash the full potential of solar vehicles.
- New Business Models and Partnerships: The solar vehicle ecosystem involves partnerships between automakers, solar companies, battery suppliers and charging infrastructure providers. New business models based on collaboration and open innovation can accelerate technology development and commercialization. Partnerships with solar panel manufacturers and charging network operators can help address range and infrastructure issues. Subscription-based services and solar charging stations can enhance the value proposition for users.
- Emerging Markets: Developing countries such as India, Brazil, Mexico and African nations suffer from pollution due to fossil fuel reliance. But they also receive abundant solar radiation. Solar vehicles provide a sustainable mobility solution while leveraging the regional solar resources. Government initiatives are promoting EVs and solar power in these markets. The large populations and low car penetration offer significant room for growth of solar electric two and three-wheelers. Local manufacturing can make solar vehicles more affordable.
- Solar Highways and Roads: Constructing solar panel canopies over highways and integrating solar cells in roads and bike paths can enable charging of EVs including solar vehicles while driving. Projects in China, France, Netherlands demonstrate the potential of solar roads to harvest renewable energy. Dedicated solar highways would maximize sun exposure for solar vehicles, address range issues and reduce dependence on charging stations. This is an innovative opportunity still in early stage.
Solar Vehicle Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 3.69 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 12.77 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Material Type: Plastics, Metals, Ceramics, Composites, Others
- By End-Use Industry: Aerospace and defense, Automotive, Healthcare and medical, Consumer products, Industrial manufacturing, Education and research, Architecture and construction, Others
- By Application: Prototyping, Tooling, Functional parts, Customized products, Dental and orthodontics, Prosthetics and implants, Jewelry and fashion, Electronics and electrical components, Others
- By Form: Filament, Powder, Liquid, Granules, Others
- By Technology: Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM), Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), Stereolithography (SLA), Binder Jetting, Material Jetting, Digital Light Processing (DLP), Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS), Others
Tesla, Sono Motors, Lightyear, Aptera Motors, Squad Mobility, EVX Pty Ltd, ElectraMeccanica Vehicles Corp., Hyundai Motor Group, Toyota Motor Corporation, Audi, Ford, Volkswagen, Mahindra & Mahindra, Nissan, General Motors, BYD, Renault, Honda, Tata Motors, BMW
- Environmental Concerns
- Public Awareness and Pressure
- Health and Safety Concerns
- Circular Economy Agenda
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Material Properties and Performance Limitations
- Cost of Materials
- Intellectual Property and Material Formulations
Solar Vehicle Market Trends:
- Advancements in Solar Cell Technology: Ongoing R&D is improving solar cell efficiency, flexibility and integration in vehicles. Techniques like thin-film transfer allow embedding solar cells into curved surfaces without compromising efficiency. Organic solar cells and perovskites promise better efficiency and lower costs compared to conventional silicon cells. These innovations are tailoring solar technology for automotive integration and making solar vehicles more viable.
- Partnerships Between Automakers and Solar Companies: Major auto companies like Toyota, Hyundai, Lightyear are collaborating with solar panel suppliers and charging companies to develop solar EVs. Aptera Motors partnered with solar manufacturer EVX to make solar parts for its solar car. Sono Motors acquired a former SAAB facility to boost in-house solar integration. These partnerships allow automakers to leverage the solar expertise of other companies.
- Growth in Solar Car Racing Events: Competitions like the World Solar Challenge have helped demonstrate practical applications of solar technology for vehicles. Such events encourage innovation in solar cells, batteries and vehicle design. Companies test new concepts during these races. The participation has grown steadily over the years, indicating rising interest in solar electric transportation.
- Prototyping and Concept Vehicles: Leading automakers and startups have showcased various prototypes and concept solar vehicles at major motor shows. These include Lightyear One, Toyota Prius PHV, Sono Sion, Squad Solar City Car. Though many are not commercial yet, such concepts display the capabilities of solar vehicle technology. The positive response encourages further development for production.
Solar Vehicle Market Restraints:
- High Initial Purchase Cost: The main barrier to large scale adoption of solar vehicles is the high upfront cost compared to conventional cars. The additional cost of the solar system including panels, power electronics and installation increases the purchase price. This price premium limits uptake only to affluent and environmentally conscious buyers currently. Bringing costs down through mass production and technological improvements is vital.
- Low Driving Range: Most solar vehicles today have range limitations between 100 to 400 miles. This range anxiety makes them unsuitable for long distance driving. Intermittent sun exposure due to weather or parking also limits solar charging. Advances in battery technology are needed to increase range and fully utilize solar power.
- Underdeveloped Charging Infrastructure: While the solar vehicle itself requires minimal infrastructure, public charging stations are still needed for long routes. The current lack and uneven distribution of EV charging networks poses a challenge. Targeted development of solar charging infrastructure can help address these concerns.
New product launches
- In January 2022, Aptera Motors unveiled a solar electric vehicle with a driving range of up to 1,000 miles. The three-wheeled car has solar panels that can provide up to 40 miles of charge per day. This ultra-efficient solar car aims to eliminate range anxiety.
- In September 2021, Squad Mobility launched the solar-assisted Squad Solar City Car in the Netherlands. It has a solar range of up to 43 miles and overall range of 100 miles when combined with battery. The solar panels give free solar charge to users.
- In October 2020, Hyundai Motor Group unveiled its IONIQ Concept Cabin that has a solar panel roof and can charge the battery. This demonstrates Hyundai's vision for sustainable mobility through solar energy.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In May 2022, ElectraMeccanica partnered with Beyond Gravity to integrate solar panels in its SOLO EV three-wheeler. This will extend driving range and lower dependence on charging infrastructure.
- In January 2022, Sono Motors acquired a former SAAB production facility to start production of its Sion solar electric vehicle. The in-house production will enable faster market entry.
- In May 2021, Aptera Motors partnered with EVX Pty Ltd. to develop solar components and body parts for its solar electric vehicle. This strengthened Aptera's supply chain.
Figure 2. Global Solar Vehicle Market Share (%), by Component, 2023
Top companies in Solar Vehicle Market
- Sono Motors
- Aptera Motors
- Squad Mobility
- EVX Pty Ltd
- ElectraMeccanica Vehicles Corp.
- Hyundai Motor Group
- Toyota Motor Corporation
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- General Motors
- Tata Motors
Definition: The solar vehicle market refers to the industry and ecosystem around automobiles powered fully or partially by solar energy. Solar vehicles have photovoltaic cells integrated into their body, which convert sunlight into electricity to charge batteries that run the motor. This provides clean and renewable solar power for propulsion instead of gasoline or diesel. The solar vehicle market is driven by factors such as pollution reduction goals, transition to sustainable transportation, advances in EV and solar technologies, and renewable energy adoption.
Few other promising reports in Solar Vehicle Industry
Hybrid Vehicles Market
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market
Mobile Health Vehicle Market
Autonomous Vehicle Market