The global Off Price Retail market size was valued at US$ 315.78 billion in 2023 and is expected to reach US$ 558.97 billion by 2030, grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.5% from 2023 to 2030
The off-price retail market refers to the segment of the retail industry that offers branded merchandise at discounted prices compared to traditional retail stores. Off-price retailers typically source their products through various channels, including overstock, closeouts, canceled orders, and excess inventory from manufacturers and brands. These retailers often offer a wide range of products, including apparel, accessories, footwear, home goods, and electronics, among others.
The off-price retail market has gained popularity among consumers due to the opportunity to purchase quality products at lower prices. Customers are attracted to the value proposition provided by off-price retailers, as they can find well-known brands and designer items at a fraction of the original retail price. The market appeals to price-conscious consumers who are looking for discounts and deals without compromising on product quality.
Off-price retailers also benefit from the ability to create a sense of urgency and excitement among customers through limited-time offers and frequent merchandise turnover. This creates a "treasure hunt" shopping experience, where customers enjoy the thrill of discovering hidden gems and exclusive deals.
Off Price Retail Market Regional Insights
- North America: North America is a significant market for off-price retail, with the United States being a key player in the industry. The region has a well-established off-price retail sector, characterized by prominent retailers such as TJX Companies (owner of T.J.Maxx and Marshalls) and Ross Stores. Consumers in North America are attracted to off-price retailers for the opportunity to find discounted branded merchandise across a wide range of product categories.
- Europe: Europe also has a thriving off-price retail market, with countries like the United Kingdom, Germany, and France leading the way. The region is home to well-known off-price retailers such as TK Maxx and Primark, offering discounted fashion, accessories, and household items. European consumers appreciate the value proposition offered by off-price retailers, particularly in an increasingly price-sensitive market.
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific region is experiencing rapid growth in the off-price retail market. Countries like China, India, and Australia are witnessing a rise in off-price retail stores and e-commerce platforms. The market growth is driven by the increasing middle-class population, rising consumer awareness about discounts and deals, and the growing demand for branded products at affordable prices.
Figure 1. Global Off Price Retail Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Off Price Retail Market Drivers:
- Value and Affordability: One of the primary drivers of the off-price retail market is the value proposition it offers to consumers. Off-price retailers specialize in selling branded merchandise at discounted prices compared to traditional retail stores. Consumers are attracted to these stores because they can find quality products at affordable prices, allowing them to get more for their money.
- Brand and Product Selection: Off-price retailers often carry a wide range of branded products across various categories, including apparel, accessories, home goods, and more. This diverse selection of brands and products appeals to consumers who are seeking both quality and variety in their purchases. The availability of well-known brands at discounted prices is a significant driver of customer traffic and loyalty.
- Treasure Hunt Experience: Off-price retail shopping offers a unique "treasure hunt" experience for consumers. Unlike traditional retail, where products are consistently priced, off-price retailers receive a constantly changing inventory of merchandise. Customers enjoy the thrill of discovering hidden gems and finding unexpected deals during their shopping experience. This element of surprise and discovery attracts shoppers and encourages repeat visits.
- Adaptability and Flexibility: Off-price retailers have the advantage of being able to adapt quickly to market trends and changing consumer demands. They are nimble in sourcing products from various channels, including closeouts, overstocks, and canceled orders, allowing them to offer a constantly refreshed assortment of merchandise. This flexibility enables them to respond to market demands and offer consumers a wide variety of products at discounted prices.
Off Price Retail Market Opportunities:
- E-commerce Growth: The continued growth of e-commerce provides significant opportunities for off-price retailers. By investing in robust online platforms and enhancing their digital capabilities, off-price retailers can reach a broader customer base and tap into the growing trend of online shopping. The convenience and accessibility of online shopping complement the value-focused nature of off-price retail, making it an ideal avenue for expansion.
- Expansion into New Markets: Off-price retailers have the opportunity to expand their operations into new geographic markets. This can involve entering international markets or targeting underserved regions within existing markets. By identifying regions with a demand for affordable, branded products, off-price retailers can establish a presence and cater to a wider customer base, driving growth and market share.
- Private Label Development: Off-price retailers can explore the development of private label products. Private labels allow retailers to offer exclusive, competitively priced products that are not available in other retail channels. By leveraging their knowledge of consumer preferences and trends, off-price retailers can create private label lines that provide quality and value, further differentiating themselves in the market.
- Partnerships and Collaborations: Collaborations and partnerships with brands and designers present opportunities for off-price retailers to offer exclusive collections and limited-edition products. By teaming up with well-known brands or designers, off-price retailers can create buzz and generate excitement among customers. These collaborations can drive foot traffic to stores and boost online sales, ultimately enhancing the off-price retail experience.
Off Price Retail Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 315.78 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 558.97 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Product Category: Apparel and Footwear, Home Goods, Electronics, Beauty and Cosmetics
- By Distribution Channel: Brick-and-Mortar Stores, Online Retail
- By End User: Consumer, Business-to-Business (B2B)
- By Price Range: Low-end, Mid-range, High-end
- By Demographics: Men, Women, Children
TJX Companies Inc., Ross Stores Inc., Burlington Stores Inc., Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom Inc.), Marshalls (TJX Companies Inc.), DSW (Designer Brands Inc.), Macy's Backstage (Macy's Inc.), Century 21 Department Store, Saks OFF 5TH (Hudson's Bay Company), Stein Mart Inc., Sierra Trading Post (The TJX Companies Inc.), Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse, Gordmans (Stage Stores Inc.), Bealls Outlet (Bealls Inc.), Gabriel Brothers Inc.
- Value and Affordability
- Brand and Product Selection
- Treasure Hunt Experience
- Adaptability and Flexibility
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Fluctuating Consumer Spending
- Intense Competition
- Inventory Management Challenges
Off Price Retail Market Trends:
- Increased Demand for Value: Consumers are increasingly seeking value-oriented shopping experiences, driving the popularity of off-price retail. With the rise of budget-conscious consumers, the trend of hunting for discounted and branded products has gained traction. Off-price retailers offer the opportunity to purchase quality products at significantly reduced prices, making it an appealing option for price-savvy shoppers.
- Omni-Channel Retailing: The integration of online and offline channels has become a prevalent trend in the retail industry, and off-price retailers are no exception. Many off-price retailers are investing in e-commerce platforms and implementing omni-channel strategies to provide a seamless shopping experience across different channels. This trend allows customers to access off-price deals both in-store and online, providing convenience and flexibility.
- Agile Inventory Management: Off-price retailers rely on a constantly changing inventory, acquiring surplus or excess merchandise from various sources. To effectively manage inventory and meet customer demand, off-price retailers are adopting agile inventory management practices. This includes leveraging data analytics, predictive algorithms, and real-time insights to optimize inventory turnover, identify trends, and make informed buying decisions.
- Collaboration with Brands: Collaborations between off-price retailers and established brands have become a popular trend. By partnering with well-known brands, off-price retailers can offer exclusive collections or limited-edition products, attracting customer attention and driving foot traffic to their stores. These collaborations allow off-price retailers to leverage the reputation and desirability of brands to enhance their product offerings and differentiate themselves in the market.
Off Price Retail Market Restraints:
- Fluctuating Consumer Spending: Off-price retailers are highly influenced by consumer spending patterns. During periods of economic uncertainty or recession, consumers may reduce their discretionary spending, impacting the demand for off-price products. Economic downturns can lead to decreased consumer confidence and reduced purchasing power, affecting the overall performance of the off-price retail market.
- Intense Competition: The off-price retail market is highly competitive, with numerous players vying for market share. Traditional retailers, online marketplaces, and other discount retailers pose a significant challenge to off-price retailers. This intense competition can result in price wars and margin pressures, affecting profitability. Off-price retailers need to continuously differentiate themselves and offer unique value propositions to stay competitive in the market.
- Inventory Management Challenges: Managing a dynamic and ever-changing inventory can be challenging for off-price retailers. Acquiring and sourcing surplus or excess merchandise at the right price and in the desired quantities requires effective supply chain management and strong vendor relationships. Inefficient inventory management practices can lead to stockouts or excess inventory, impacting profitability and customer satisfaction.
New product launches
- TJX Companies, the parent company of TJ Maxx and Marshalls, has been expanding its private label brands. In 2022, the company launched a new line of home goods called Homesense, and it also introduced a new line of activewear called Athleta by Maxx & Marshalls.
- Ross Stores has been expanding its online presence. In 2022, the company launched a new website that allows customers to shop for its entire inventory online. Ross Stores has also been expanding its delivery options, and it now offers same-day delivery in some areas.
- Burlington Stores has been acquiring new brands. In 2022, the company acquired the off-price retailer HomeGoods. Burlington Stores has also been expanding its international presence, and it now has stores in Canada, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In 2022, TJX Companies acquired Sierra Trading Post for $6.8 billion. This acquisition gives TJX a major presence in the outdoor apparel market.
- In 2022, Ross Stores acquired dd's Discounts for $2.8 billion. This acquisition gives Ross a larger presence in the Midwest and South.
- In 2022, Nordstrom partnered with Amazon to open a number of Nordstrom Rack stores inside of Amazon warehouses. This partnership gives Nordstrom a way to reach a wider audience, while Amazon gets access to Nordstrom's high-end merchandise.
Figure 2. Global Off Price Retail Market Share (%), by Type, 2023
Top companies in Off Price Retail Market
- TJX Companies Inc.
- Ross Stores Inc.
- Burlington Stores Inc.
- Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom Inc.)
- Marshalls (TJX Companies Inc.)
- DSW (Designer Brands Inc.)
- Macy's Backstage (Macy's Inc.)
- Century 21 Department Store
- Saks OFF 5TH (Hudson's Bay Company)
- Stein Mart Inc.
- Sierra Trading Post (The TJX Companies Inc.)
- Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse
- Gordmans (Stage Stores Inc.)
- Bealls Outlet (Bealls Inc.)
- Gabriel Brothers Inc.
*Definition: Off-price retail refers to a retail strategy or business model in which merchandise, typically brand-name or designer products, is sold at discounted prices below the original retail value. Off-price retailers source their inventory from various channels, such as overstock, closeouts, canceled orders, and excess inventory from manufacturers or other retailers.