Residential water treatment devices are used to remove impurities by reducing the contamination level in water using a physical barrier, followed by processes of filtration and various others. Water treatment devices are used for various purposes, which majorly depends on the type of water. For instance, reverse osmosis system is most widely used for drinking water purpose. National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) is responsible for the certification of the different types of filters that are used to treat various types of waters.
Increasing awareness about water-borne illnesses such as typhoid, cholera, and diarrhea has resulted in the installation of home water treatment devices by consumers. Further, increasing purchasing power among the consumers is major factor fuelling the growth of water treatment devices market globally.
The high price of water treatment devices coupled with high installation costs for the same refrain price-sensitive consumers from installing such devices, which is one of the major factors hindering the growth of the market. However, the impact of this restraint is expected to minimize by the end of the forecast period due to increasing incidences of waterborne diseases. For instance, in 2016, approximately 130,000 cases of cholera and more than 2000 deaths were reported by the World Health Organization (WHO). Asia Pacific accounted for 15% of the reported cases while Africa accounted for more than 50% for the same. However, this is expected to minimize by the end of the forecast period.
Residential Water Treatment Devices Market Taxonomy:
On the basis of application, the Residential Water Treatment Devices market is segmented into:
- Point of Entry
- Point of Use
On the basis of device type, the Residential Water Treatment Devices market is segmented into:
- Faucet-Mounted Filters
- Tabletop Pitchers
- Countertop Units
- Under the Sink Filters
On the basis of Technology, Residential Water Treatment Devices market is segmented into:
- Membrane Filtration
- Ultraviolet (UV)
- Reverse Osmosis (RO)
- Water Softeners
- Distillation System
- Shower Filters
On the basis of distribution channels, the Residential Water Treatment Devices market segmented into:
- Online Channel
- Specialty Stores
Residential water treatment devices Market Outlook:
- Although the water treatment devices market in Europe is experiencing a slow growth, it is expected to gain sufficient traction towards the end of the forecast period. Currently, Germany, U.K., and France are the major contributors to the growth of the Residential water treatment According to World Health Organization (WHO), in 2015, out of 912 million people living in the WHO European region, more than 60 million people were devoid of proper water sanitation facilities and an additional 14 million people could not use the basic source of drinking water. Diseases such as diarrhea, hepatitis A, and legionellosis the common diseases that are associated with inadequate water treatment. Increasing consumer exposure to various types of water treatment devices and increasing awareness about waterborne diseases is expected to propel the growth of Residential water treatment market in near future.
- North America is the largest region in residential water treatment devices market. The U.S has the largest water treatment device market followed by Canada. The U.S has reported several cases of gastrointestinal illness every year. Diseases such as cryptosporidiosis, giardiasis, and otitis results in approximately 40,000 hospital cases annually, thereby resulting in expenses amounting to billions.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing region in residential water treatment devices market. Microbial contamination and chemicals such as arsenic, fluoride, and nitriles are commonly found in this region. Increasing awareness about the different type of diseases caused by contaminated water, followed by increasing consumer awareness about the same through campaigns, and initiatives taken up by the regulating bodies are expected to fuel the growth of residential water treatment market in near future. China and India are the heavily populated economies in Asia Pacific, therefore the proper implementation of water treatment devices is expected to boost the growth of the residential water treatment devices market in Asia Pacific. China’s 13th five-year plan has strict targets regarding the quality of drinking water, which is a major driver for the growth of residential treatment device market.
Key players in the Residential Water Treatment Devices Market:
Some of the major player operating residential water treatment device market include The Dow Chemical Company, Honeywell International Inc., Panasonic Corporation, LG Electronics Inc., Best Water Technology (BWT Aktiengesellschaft), Danaher Corporation, Culligan International, Unilever PLC, Watts Water Technologies Inc., and Calgon Carbon Corporation.
Residential Water Treatment Devices Market Key Developments:
- In November 2018, Culligan, a water treatment solution provider, launched the IW Reverse Osmosis System. This launch helped the company in expanding its product portfolio and therefore its customer base.
- In July 2019, LG Electronics Inc. announced to sell two of its water treatment subsidiaries, namely, Hi-Entech and LG-Hitach to Techcross, a company which offers ballast water treatment system and is an affiliated company of Seoul-based Bubang Group. The two subsidiaries are expected to be sold at approximately US$ 200 million. Selling of subsidiaries by LG Electronics Inc. is expected to boost their investment for future expansions.
- In March 2014, Unilever PLC acquired a major stake in case of Qinyuan Group Co., a Chinese water-purification company. This acquisition expected to capture the China water purification market, owing to the high demand for clean water from this region.