Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Softgel capsule are also called as soft gelatin capsules, that have solid (outer shell) and is surrounding with a semi-solid or liquid drug constituent (inner fill). The active pharmaceutical ingredient can be incorporated in the outer shell of gelatin capsule or in the inner fill of the softgel capsule. Soft gelatin capsule are administered orally and the outer soft gelatin shells are made up of gelatin sources such as animals or plants, plasticizer such as glycerin and/or sorbitol(s), opacifier and water. Soft gelatin capsules have wide range of application in pharmaceutical industry such as they are used as medication for cardiovascular diseases, health supplements, antacid, and bacterial infections.
The global softgel capsule market is estimated to be valued at US$ 5,853.18 Mn in 2020, and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period (2020-2027).
Figure 1. Global Softgel Capsule Market Value (US$ Mn), 2016-2027
Key companies are focusing on inorganic growth strategies such as facility expansion to strengthen their position in the global softgel capsule market. For instance, in June 2020, Aenova Group GmbH expanded its production capacities by expanding the production unit of Dragenopharm Apotheker Püschl GmbH, one of the subsidiaries of Aenova Group Gmbh and leading manufacturer of pharmaceuticals and dietary supplements in Tittmoning.
Moreover, increasing prevalence of heart condition in individuals is expected to drive growth of the softgel capsule market globally. For instance in 2019, according to American Heart Association, around 1,055,000 individuals suffered from coronary heart diseases in the U.S.
Softgel Capsule Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||US$ 5,853.18 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2016 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||US$ 8,743.52 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, and Rest of the Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Gelatin Softgel Capsule, Non-gelatin Softgel Capsule.
- By Source Type: Gelatin Type-A, Gelatin Type-B, Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose (HPMC), Others.
- By Application: Anti-inflammatory Drugs, Antibiotic drugs, Health Supplements, Cardiovascular Drugs, Others.
- By End User: Pharmaceutical Companies, Contract Manufacturing Organizations, Others.
Catalent, Inc, Aenova Group GmbH, Sirio Pharma Company Ltd, Captek Softgel International Inc, Elnova Pharma, Fuji Capsule Co., Ltd., Capsugel, EuroCaps Ltd, Guangdong Yichao Biological Co., Ltd., Hunan ER-KANG Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, and KD Pharma Group
- Robust product pipeline, approval of new softgel capsules by regulatory bodies
- Key companies focusing on research and development in the field of softgel capsules
- Companies focusing on inorganic growth strategies such as mergers and acquisitions
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Low stability of softgel capsules with water soluble compounds and compounds susceptible towards hydrolysis
- Limited choice of excipients with gelatin as capsule base
Global Softgel Capsule Market – Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Following the outbreak of COVID-19 in December 2019, the disease has spread to over 100 countries across the globe and the World Health Organization has declared it as a public health emergency. According to the World Health Organization’s report, the manifestation of the coronavirus (COVID-19) has resulted in over 50.9 million infected individuals worldwide, as of November 10th, 2020.
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and resulting lockdown in various countries across the globe have impacted the financial status of major companies in softgel capsule market. The private healthcare sector is one of the sectors, which has been majorly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic has negatively impacted the global softgel market in various aspects such as development, production, and supply of medicines and also affected growth of the pharmaceutical businesses of various companies across the globe due to lockdowns implemented by governments of several countries. The nationwide lockdowns have led to closure of industrial establishments, except manufacturing of essential commodities and disruption in supply chain of the raw materials and drugs for therapeutic use.
Figure 2. Global Softgel Capsule Market Share (%), by Region, 2020
Among regions, in North America, key companies are focusing on strategies such as facility expansion, in order to increase manufacturing capacity in market. For instance, in October 2020, Catalent, Inc, a subsidiary company of Lonza Company expanded its manufacturing capacity of gelatin capsule by investing US$ 93 million in its capsules and health ingredients (CHI) division. The investment has led the company to expand its overall production capacity of capsules within CHI's Capsugel portfolio by manufacturing 30 billion capsules annually.
Major players operating in the global softgel capsule market include Catalent, Inc, Aenova Group GmbH, Sirio Pharma Company Ltd, Captek Softgel International Inc, Elnova Pharma, Fuji Capsule Co., Ltd., Capsugel, EuroCaps Ltd, Guangdong Yichao Biological Co., Ltd., Hunan ER-KANG Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, and KD Pharma Group