The Global Surgical Sinks Market is anticipated to witness substantial growth during the forecast period of 2023-2030. It is projected to expand from US$ 790.7 million in 2023 to reach US$ 1,169.3 million by 2030, exhibiting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.7%. This growth can be attributed to various factors including the increasing emphasis on infection control measures and patient safety in healthcare settings. Surgical sinks are specialized sinks used in healthcare facilities, particularly in operating rooms, to maintain a hygienic environment for surgical procedures. They adhere to strict infection control standards and facilitate effective cleaning and disinfection of surgical instruments and hands.
These sinks are designed with features like hands-free operation using foot pedals or sensor-activated faucets, minimizing the risk of cross-contamination. They typically have multiple compartments or basins, allowing separate areas for pre-surgical handwashing, scrubbing, and rinsing.
The demand for surgical sinks is propelled by the growing emphasis on infection control and patient safety in healthcare settings. Proper hand hygiene and instrument decontamination are crucial in preventing healthcare-associated infections. Consequently, healthcare facilities are investing in advanced surgical sink solutions to meet regulations and mitigate infection risks.
Analysts’ Views on Global Surgical Sinks Market:
The global surgical sinks market is expected to witness steady growth over the forecast period driven by the increasing number of hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and specialty clinics worldwide. The rising healthcare expenditure and growing investments in healthcare infrastructure will augment the demand for surgical sinks. Moreover, the growing volume of surgical procedures performed is further expected to propel the market growth. However, budget constraints in many public hospitals may impede the market growth to some extent. North America is expected to continue its dominance in the global surgical sinks market owing to well-established healthcare systems and advanced healthcare infrastructure in the region. Within North America, the U.S. accounts for the major share and the trend is likely to continue. Asia Pacific is identified as the fastest growing region over the next few years supported by healthcare development programs by various governments.
Surgical Sinks Market Regional Insights
- North America: The North American region, including the U.S. and Canada, has a well-established healthcare infrastructure and stringent regulations regarding infection control. The market for surgical sinks in North America is expected to be significant, driven by the increasing emphasis on patient safety and infection prevention measures. The adoption of advanced surgical sink solutions is likely to be higher in this region, supported by the presence of leading healthcare facilities and technological advancements.
- Europe: Europe is another region with a strong focus on healthcare quality and infection control. Countries such as Germany, France, and the U.K. have robust healthcare systems, which contribute to the demand for surgical sinks. The market in Europe is expected to experience steady growth due to the implementation of strict regulations and guidelines for hygiene standards in healthcare settings.
- Asia Pacific: The Asia Pacific region presents significant growth opportunities for the surgical sinks market. Rapidly developing countries such as China, India, etc. are witnessing increased healthcare spending and infrastructure development. The growing awareness about infection control practices and the need for patient safety are driving the demand for surgical sinks in this region. Additionally, a rise in the number of surgical procedures and the expansion of healthcare facilities contribute to the market growth.
Figure 1. Global Surgical Sinks Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy
Surgical Sinks Market Drivers:
- Increasing Emphasis on Infection Control: In healthcare settings, there is a growing focus on infection control to prevent healthcare-associated infections. Surgical sinks play a vital role in maintaining a hygienic environment by facilitating proper hand hygiene and instrument decontamination. The rising awareness about the importance of infection control is driving the demand for surgical sinks. For instance, on January 17 2023, according to the American Medical Association, most surgical site infections can be prevented if appropriate strategies are implemented. These infections are typically caused when bacteria from the patient’s endogenous flora are inoculated into the surgical site at the time of surgery.
- Rising Number of Surgical Procedures: The increasing prevalence of surgical procedures, both in hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers, contributes to the demand for surgical sinks. As the number of surgeries performed continues to rise, healthcare facilities need efficient and effective solutions for proper handwashing and instrument decontamination, driving the adoption of surgical sinks. For instance, in September 2020, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), 310 million major surgeries are performed each year globally.
Surgical Sinks Market Report Coverage
|Market Size in 2023:
|US$ 790.7 Mn
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2022
|2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
|2030 Value Projection:
|US$ 1,169.3 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Product Type: Stainless Steel Surgical Sinks, Copper Sinks, and Others (Solid Polymer Sinks, etc.)
- By Installation: Wall-Mounted Surgical Sinks, Floor-Mounted Surgical Sinks, Mobile Sinks, and Others (Countertop Sinks, etc.)
- By End User: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Specialty Clinics, and Others (Dental Clinics, etc.)
STERIS, ALVO Medical, Surgmed, Whitehall Manufacturing, TBJ Incorporated, Getinge AB, Steelco S.p.A., MAC Medical, Inc., TEAL Patents Ltd., MEGASAN Medikal, Elmo Technology, The Brewer Company, Inmoclinc, Bemis Manufacturing Company, Ophthalmic Instruments, Inc., Duravit AG, Infection Prevention Technologies, and Surgical Sink Company
- Increasing Emphasis on Infection Control
- Rising Number of Surgical Procedures
|Restraints & Challenges:
Surgical Sinks Market Opportunities:
- Increasing Hospital Investments in Infrastructure and Modernization: As healthcare systems evolve and expand, there is a growing demand for modern medical equipment, including surgical sinks, to meet the rising standards of hygiene and infection control. Increasing investments in hospital infrastructure and modernization around the world presents a great opportunity for growth in the global surgical sinks market. As governments and healthcare systems focus on improving facilities and upgrading outdated equipment, the demand for new surgical sinks will rise considerably. For instance, on March 9 2023, Kauvery Hospital, a multi-specialty Indian hospital chain, announced that it had raised US$ 70 million in investment.
Surgical Sinks Market Trends:
- Increasing Adoption of Hands-Free Operation: There is a growing trend towards hands-free operation in surgical sinks. Healthcare facilities are prioritizing infection control and cross-contamination prevention, leading to the widespread implementation of foot pedals and sensor-activated faucets in surgical sinks. Hands-free operation minimizes the need for direct contact with sink surfaces, promoting better hygiene practices.
Surgical Sinks Market Restraints:
- High Costs: One of the major factors restraining the growth of the surgical sinks market is the high costs associated with surgical sinks. Surgical sinks require specialized materials and designs to meet stringent health and safety regulations. They need to be made of corrosion and chemical resistant materials like stainless steel to withstand frequent cleaning and disinfection without getting damaged. The sinks also need to have rounded corners and sloped surfaces to allow for easy cleaning and prevent bacteria accumulation. These specialized features come at a higher price compared to residential or commercial sinks. Hence, key players are focused on developing surgical sinks which are cost effective.
Figure 2. Global Surgical Sinks Market Share (%), By Indication, 2023
To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy
Surgical Sinks Market New product launches
- Touchless Surgical Sinks: Several manufacturers have introduced touchless surgical sinks that incorporate sensor-activated faucets or foot pedals for hands-free operation. These sinks aim to minimize the risk of cross-contamination and improve infection control in healthcare settings.
- Integrated Water Management Systems: Newer surgical sink models may feature integrated water management systems that optimize water usage and improve sustainability. These systems may include features such as water-saving mechanisms, efficient filtration, and automated shut-off valves to minimize water wastage.
- Antimicrobial Surface Coatings: Some manufacturers have launched surgical sinks with antimicrobial surface coatings. These coatings are designed to inhibit the growth of microorganisms, enhancing infection control and maintaining a cleaner environment within the surgical sink.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In September 2020, Symmetry Surgical, a subsidiary of Stryker Corporation, announced the acquisition of the surgical sinks business of Olsen Medical, a company that designs, develops, and manufactures electrosurgical instruments. This acquisition aimed to strengthen Symmetry Surgical's portfolio of infection prevention solutions and expand its offerings in the surgical environment.
- In June 2021, STERIS, a medical equipment company, acquired Cantel Medical, a company which produces and sells medical equipment, in a US$ 3.6 million deal. This deal brought together two prominent players in infection prevention products and created a powerful platform in medical device reprocessing and healthcare infection prevention. The combined company enhanced STERIS's position in key areas of the surgical sinks market such as sterilization equipment and GI endoscopy solutions.
Top companies in Surgical Sinks Market
- ALVO Medical
- Whitehall Manufacturing
- TBJ Incorporated
- Getinge AB
- Steelco S.p.A.
- MAC Medical, Inc.
- TEAL Patents Ltd.
- MEGASAN Medikal
- Elmo Technology
- The Brewer Company
- Bemis Manufacturing Company
- Ophthalmic Instruments, Inc.
- Duravit AG
- Infection Prevention Technologies
- Surgical Sink Company
Definition: Scrub sinks, also referred to as surgical sinks or medical sinks, are vital to keeping Operating Rooms (ORs) up and running, and are imperative to the health and safety of patients. They serve as the scrub station for surgeons and other OR staff to scrub their hands and arms before a surgical or invasive procedure.