The disposable surgical sheet market size is expected to reach US$ 5.27 Bn by 2030, from US$ 3.92 Bn in 2023, at a CAGR of 4.3% during the forecast period. Disposable surgical sheets are single-use medical fabrics such as surgical drapes, gowns and sheets used during surgical procedures to prevent cross-contamination and bacterial transmission in healthcare settings. The rising number of surgeries and the increasing prevalence of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) are the key factors driving the growth of the disposable surgical sheet market.
By product, the global disposable surgical sheet market is segmented into drapes, gowns, sheets, and others. The drapes segment accounted for the largest market share in 2022. Drapes play a crucial role in maintaining sterility during surgeries by creating a sterile field around the surgical site. Their demand is driven by the rising number of surgeries across the globe.
Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Regional Insights:
- The North America region is the largest market for disposable surgical sheets, with a market share of 39.4% in 2022. This is due to the increasing population, the rising number of surgeries performed, and the growing healthcare infrastructure in the region. The key markets in the Asia Pacific region include China, India, Japan, and South Korea.
- Europe is the second-largest market for disposable surgical sheets, with a market share of 24.1% in 2022. The key markets in North America are the U.S. and Canada. The growth of the disposable surgical sheet market in North America is being driven by the increasing number of surgeries performed, the growing awareness of infection control, and the rising demand for minimally invasive surgeries.
- Asia Pacific is the third-largest market for disposable surgical sheets, with a market share of 16.3% in 2022. The key markets in Europe are Germany, France, the U.K. and Italy. The growth of the disposable surgical sheet market in Europe is being driven by the increasing number of surgeries performed, the growing awareness of infection control, and the rising demand for minimally invasive surgeries.
Analysts’ Views on Global Disposable Surgical Sheet Market:
The surgical drapes are used in the operating room to create a sterile barrier between the environment in the operating room and the surgical tools. It is made up of a variety of materials, such as nonwoven polypropylene, nonwoven polyethylene, nonwoven rayon, and others. Thus, the increasing number of patients with surgical site infections offers an opportunity to various market players to manufacture surgical gloves and surgical drapes to prevent infection at the surgical site.
Figure 1. Global Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Drivers:
- Increasing Number of Surgeries: The rising number of surgical procedures worldwide is a major factor driving the growth of the global disposable surgical sheet market. Surgeries like cardiovascular, orthopedic, bariatric, gynecological, and urological procedures are increasing due to the rising prevalence of related conditions. Surgical sheets like drapes and gowns play a critical role in infection control during these procedures. Their demand will continue to grow in line with the increasing surgery volume.
- High Incidence of Hospital Acquired Infections: The increasing occurrence of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs), such as surgical site infections, is expected to drive the global disposable surgical sheet market growth. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), HAIs affect hundreds of millions of patients globally each year. The use of disposable sterile surgical sheets helps reduce bacterial transmission and lower HAIs during invasive procedures. Healthcare facilities are adopting single-use sheets to curb infection rates.
- Favorable Government Regulations: Stringent regulations regarding infection control and surgical site hygiene in healthcare settings are driving the adoption of disposable surgical sheets. Government policies mandating the use of disposable or sterile supplies in hospitals to prevent HAIs are favoring market growth. For instance, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has implemented policies to curb HAIs in the US.
- Technological Advancements: The introduction of innovative materials and technologies for disposable surgical sheets is boosting product adoption. Key innovations include fluid-absorbent sheets, antimicrobial sheets, bio-based materials, and reinforced or coated sheets. Manufacturers are using advanced sterilization technologies such as ethylene oxide, gamma irradiation, and electron beam radiation. This enhances the efficacy and safety of single-use surgical sheets.
Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 3.92 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2022
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 5.27 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Component: Drapes, Gowns, Sheets, Others
- By End User: Hospitals, Clinics, Diagnostic Centers, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Others
- By Material: Nonwoven Polypropylene, Nonwoven Polyethylene, Nonwoven Rayon, Others
Medline Industries Inc., Cardinal Health, Molnlycke Health Care AB, 3M, Ahlstrom, Winner Medical Co. Ltd., Kimberly-Clark Health Care, DuPont Medical Fabrics, , B. Braun, Premier, Ansell Limited
- Increasing Number of Surgeries
- High Incidence of Hospital Acquired Infections
- Favorable Government Regulations
- Technological Advancements
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Environmental Concerns
- Increasing Product Recall
- Pricing Pressures
Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Opportunities:
- Untapped Emerging Markets: Emerging economies like China, India, Brazil, and Southeast Asia represent significant opportunities for disposable surgical sheet manufacturers owing to the rapidly growing healthcare sector and rising surgical procedure volume in these regions. Improving healthcare infrastructure, increasing healthcare expenditure, and raising awareness about HAIs create lucrative growth prospects in these untapped markets.
- Rising Demand for Sterile Disposable Sheets: The global increase in emphasis on sterile supplies in surgeries and minimally invasive procedures is expected to provide growth opportunities for sterile disposable surgical sheets. Key growth segments include sterile drapes, gowns, Mayo stand covers, lap sheets, and instrument wraps. Manufacturers can focus on sterile production technologies and antimicrobial sheet materials.
- Surgical Sheets with Antimicrobial Properties: Disposable surgical sheets featuring antimicrobial properties to prevent bacterial buildup offer significant opportunities for key market players in the market. The integration of antimicrobial chemicals or the agents into sheet materials or use of inherently antimicrobial polymers can inhibit microbial growth. Companies can invest in research and development to develop novel antimicrobial coatings and technologies for surgical sheets.
- Single-use Disposable Sheets: There are increasing opportunities for manufacturers of disposable surgical sheets in emerging markets where reuse of drapes and gowns is still common. Growing awareness about cross-contamination risks and an emphasis on patient safety make a strong case for switching to single-use sheets. Firms can focus on developing cost-effective disposable variants.
Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Trends:
- Advent of Bio-based Materials: The introduction of plant-based and other bio-derived materials for disposable surgical sheets marks an important trend in the industry. Manufacturers are utilizing renewable materials such as bamboo, banana fiber, cellulose, corn starch etc. to develop eco-friendly sheets. These green solutions help address sustainability concerns regarding disposable supply waste.
- Customized Drapes and Gowns: The customization of surgical drapes and gowns tailored to specific procedures or body areas is rising. Custom drapes avoid unnecessary exposure, enhance patient dignity, improve ergonomics for surgeons, and lower infection risks. Advancements in material engineering enable the production of customized sheets.
- Packs and Pouches: There is an increasing trend towards surgical packs and pouches containing procedure-specific disposable sheets. Pre-packed sets lower preparation time, reduce waste, improve inventory management, and enhance convenience. Key products are urology, ophthalmology, dental, and instrument packs.
- Composite Plastic Sheets: Technological advances are enabling the production of disposable plastic composite sheets with enhanced barrier protection, improved tactile sensitivity, and better fluid control. Composite sheets integrate advantages of multiple materials for optimal functionality. They provide superior strength, breathability, and comfort.
Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Restraints:
- Environmental Concerns: The large volumes of medical waste generated by single-use disposable surgical sheets are a major restraint on market growth. The incineration of disposable supplies leads to harmful emissions. Landfilling with non-biodegradable materials like polypropylene poses environmental risks. Concerns regarding sustainability are impeding uptake.
- Pricing Pressures: Pricing pressures in the healthcare industry are hampering the growth of the relatively expensive disposable surgical sheets market. Many hospitals and healthcare facilities, especially in emerging economies, continue to prefer lower-priced reusable variants due to budget limitations. This is restricting the widespread adoption of disposable sheets.
- Increasing Product Recall: An improperly sterilized surgical gown could compromise a sterile field and increase the risk of a surgical site infection. For instance, in April 2020, Cardinal Health, a medical device company, announced the recalled 9.1 million surgical gowns that the gowns were potentially contaminated, increasing the risk of spreading infections to patients during surgery. Thus, key market players focused on manufacturing more efficient products to avoid the product recall
Figure 2. Global Disposable Surgical Sheet Market Share (%), By Product Type, 2023
New product launches:
- In March 2022, Cardinal Health, a medical device company, announced the launch of the first surgical incise drape using industry-leading antiseptic Chlorhexidine Gluconate (CHG). The drape features Avery Dennison's patented BeneHold CHG adhesive technology, which helps reduce the risk of surgical site contamination with organisms typically associated with surgical site infections (SSIs).
- In October 2020, Mölnlycke Health Care AB, a medical device company, announced the launch of the Biogel PI UltraTouch S surgical glove, which addresses the problem of allergic contact dermatitis among surgical teams.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In March 2021, Ansell Limited, a specialist in protection solutions, announced the acquisition of the Primus brand and related assets that constitute the Life Science business belonging to Primus Gloves and Sanrea Healthcare Products (Primus). Ansell has also entered into a long-term supply partnership with Primus Gloves and Sanrea Healthcare Products.
- In January 2021, The Fashion and Business Resource Innovation Center (FABRIC) announced that partners operating within its facility during the COVID-19 pandemic collaborated to make 500,000 U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved, reusable, level 2 and 3 isolation gowns for medical professionals, which can be worn and washed 100 times.
- In May 2020, Premier, a healthcare company, announced a partnership with global medical manufacturer DeRoyal Industries, creating a joint venture focused on the domestic production of isolation gowns. The joint venture will produce isolation gowns in an existing facility just outside Knoxville, Tennessee. Raw materials will primarily be sourced from U.S.-based manufacturers, with backup capacity from Mexico and South America.
Top companies in Disposable Surgical Sheet Market:
- Medline Industries, Inc.
- Cardinal Health
- Molnlycke Health Care AB
- Winner Medical Co., Ltd.
- Kimberly-Clark Health Care
- DuPont Medical Fabrics
- Ansell Limited
Definition: Disposable surgical sheets refer to single-use protective medical fabrics such as surgical drapes, gowns, and sheets used during surgical procedures. They act as a barrier to prevent contact with blood, bodily fluids, and pathogens in the surgical environment. Disposable surgical sheets help maintain sterility and prevent bacterial transmission between patients and healthcare staff during invasive and non-invasive procedures. Key products include surgical drapes, Mayo stand covers, fenestrated sheets, laparotomy sheets, extremity drapes, and surgical gowns.
Few Other Promising Reports in Medical Devices Industry
Cardiovascular Devices Market
Orthopedic Devices Market
Bariatric Surgery Devices Market
Eastern Europe Surgical Drapes and Gowns Market