Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Sustainability and energy management software a system database of information associated with financial data, energy, resources, and other important factors. These factors aid enterprises to monitor, analyze, and control operations. This software is designed to help enterprises enhance energy and sustainability business performance through automated data analysis, management, and reporting. Currently, enterprises are necessitated to monitor and analyze their performance in numerous ways. Sustainability & energy management software support increased use of software in operations, compliance with regulatory obligations, streamlining of processes, effective understanding of risks, overlapping reporting requirements, etc.
The global sustainability & energy management software market is estimated to account for US$ 2,326.2 Mn in terms of value by the end of 2027.
Market Dynamics- Drivers
- Increasing investments EH&S and sustainability software is expected to drive growth of the global sustainability & energy management software market during the forecast period
Major organizations in various sectors such as oil & gas exploration and production are focused on strategizing, in order to create value through sustainability. These organizations seek to improve returns on capital day by reducing operating costs via improved natural-resource management, in order to achieve this goal. Moreover, key organizations in the market are regularly revising their business portfolios, in order to determine the potential impact of trends to leverage new growth opportunities. For instance, in March 2016, ArcelorMittal, a multinational steel manufacturing corporation, incorporated sustainability in its organizational design through a department for scientific analyses of the life cycles of steel products.
- Constant increase in regulatory obligations and industry guidelines are expected to propel the global sustainability & energy management software market growth over the forecast period
Major resource-focused industries use a large amount of water, raw materials, energy, and water resources. This, in turn, leads to a large number of emissions, solid waste, and effluents. Generally, these industries are subjected to various regulatory policies and norms. Furthermore, enterprises are focused on adopting sustainability management solutions in order to comply with strict regulatory policies. Therefore, these factors are expected to propel the global sustainability & energy management software market growth in the near future.
North America held dominant position in the global sustainability & energy management software market in 2019, accounting for 36.3% share in terms of value, followed by Europe, APAC, Latin America, and MEA respectively.
Figure 1: Global Sustainability & Energy Management Software Market Share (%), in terms of Value, By Region, 2019
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- Lack of data, standards, and common practices within and across companies is expected to restrain growth of the global sustainability & energy management software market during the forecast period
There is a lack of reliable data, standards, and common practices within and across companies, which results in missed opportunities. Only major enterprises are practicing green initiatives such as lighting replacements, enhanced procurement strategies, and taking advantage of tax benefits for renewable energy generation. However, SMEs from emerging economies are yet to implement green initiatives, which in turn, is expected to restrain growth of the global sustainability & energy management software market during the forecast period.
- Non-compliance to government regulations is expected to hamper the global sustainability & energy management software market growth over the forecast period
Stringent government measures regarding environment protection often impose market access restrictions on for enterprises, which in turn affect competitiveness. The effect of such measures is comparatively more pronounced in emerging economies mainly due to lack of infrastructure and monitoring facilities, limited technology choices, inadequate access to environment-friendly raw materials, lack of reliable data, and large number of small-scale exporters. For instance, in developed economies such as the U.S., Canada, and countries in Europe, SMEs in the leather sector have vanished due to strict environmental legislation. However, in emerging economies, majority of the tanning industry comprises SMEs processing raw to semi-finished leather.
||Market Size in 2019:
||US$ 987.7 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2016 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||US$ 2,326.2 Mn
- North America: U.S.,Canada.
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa
- By Software: Cloud Based, On Premise.
- By End Use Application: Automotive, Building Automation, Oil & Gas, Manufacturing, Pharmaceutical, Utilities & Energy, Others
- By Module: Utility Data Management, Carbon Reporting & Management, Sustainability Reporting & Management, Energy Optimization, Facility & Asset Management, Compliance Management
| Companies covered (15):
IBM Corp. (TRIRIGA), Figbytes Inc., Schneider Electric, Gensuite LLC, SAP SE, Envizi, ICONICS, Inc., Ecova, Inc. Urjanet, Verisae, Inc., Thinkstep, UL EHS Sustainability, Enablon, Sphera, CA Technologies, and Accuvio.
- Increasing investments EH&S and sustainability software
- Constant increase in regulatory obligations and industry guidelines
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Lack of data, standards, and common practices within and across companies
- Non-compliance to government regulations
- Growing adoption of cloud computing can present lucrative growth opportunities
Many sectors have started adopting cloud computing for various applications. However, its benefits still remain undervalued in the sustainability and energy management space. Cloud-based technology provides various benefits of updating and upgrading software in real-time, thereby allowing users to utilize data more efficiently. It can be adopted in enterprises to gain significant benefits such as robustness, scalability, reduced complexity, low cost, and granular level of visibility of sustainable information. Moreover, these solutions can help companies improve their performance, achieve greater return on investment, and generate more efficient reports.
- Providing end-to-end customer experience can offer major business opportunities
SMEs are demanding software solutions that are sophisticated, convenient, and provide value-for-money. Thus, delivering different choices in options can create immense potential revenue opportunities for sustainability & energy management software vendors. Providing an end-to-end customer experience that complies with industry standards can offer major business opportunities for market players in the near future.
Figure 2: Global Sustainability & Energy Management Software Market Value (US$ Mn), 2017 - 2027
The global sustainability & energy management software market was valued at US$ 987.7 Mn in 2019 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 2,326.2 Mn by 2027 at a CAGR of 11.4% between 2020 and 2027.
- Constant partnership and collaboration activities among major companies
Key players operating in the market are focused on partnerships and collaborations, in order to expand portfolio and gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in October 2016, Schneider Electric partnered with Panasonic Corporation, which is a developer electronics technologies and solutions, in order to simplify energy management with innovative integration and optimize building efficiency and installation costs. In February 2016, IBM Corporation partnered with Siemens Building Technologies Division and launched cloud-based building management platform leveraging enterprise asset management and data analytics technologies.
- Increasing merger and acquisition activities is another trend
Major market players are involved in merger and acquisition activities, in order to enhance the market presence and gain a significant advantage. For instance, in 2016, Accruent acquired Verisae Inc., in order to improve its market reach and industry visibility. Furthermore, in 2016, Accruent acquired BigCenter (Business Integration Group, Inc.).
Value Chain Analysis
Software industry value chain consists of a complex structure which includes several stages, with each stage further disaggregated in multiple activities. Interactions and linkages established between each phase and among different stages are the main determinant of the industry effectiveness and success.
Key players operating in the global sustainability & energy management software market are IBM Corp. (TRIRIGA), Figbytes Inc., Schneider Electric, Gensuite LLC, SAP SE, Envizi, ICONICS, Inc., Ecova, Inc. Urjanet, Verisae, Inc., Thinkstep, UL EHS Sustainability, Enablon, Sphera, CA Technologies, and Accuvio.
- Major companies in the market are focused on mergers and acquisitions, in order to enhance the market presence. For instance, in February 2017, IBM Corporation acquired privately-held TRIRIGA, Inc., a provider of estate management software solutions.
- Key players in the market are involved in product launches, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in March 2020, Schneider Electric introduced a new estate management software EcoStruxure.