The global zinc dust market is projected to reach around US$ 554.21 Billion by 2030, in terms of revenue, exhibiting a CAGR of 6.0% during the forecast period (2023-2030).
Global Zinc Dust Market: Drivers
- Rising demand from paints and coatings sector: Zinc dust is significantly used in the paints and coatings sector. Paints and coatings are extensively used in the automotive and construction industries. Remarkable growth in the construction industry in developed as well as developing countries, owing to rapid technological advancements, urbanization, and rising disposable incomes of consumers, is expected to drive the global zinc dust market’s growth during the forecast period. Zinc dust is used as a corrosion inhibitor in paints and coatings, providing protection to metal surfaces. The demand for corrosion-resistant coatings has been rising in various industries, including automotive, construction, and marine, which has led to an increase in demand for zinc dust. For instance, in 2021, the Indian government announced plans to invest in the development of a new corrosion-resistant coating for steel structures, highlighting the growing importance of this technology in the construction sector.
- Zinc dust usage in various coatings: Zinc dust has the ability to prevent rust due to its special sacrificing process. As a result, it is widely used as an anticoagulant in a variety of coatings, including industrial, marine, yacht, and pharmaceutical coatings. Additionally, zinc dust is employed as an intermediate in the drug manufacturing process in the pharmaceutical sector, and these factors are expected to contribute to the growth of the Global Zinc Dust Market in the foreseeable future.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Restraints
- Inhaling an excessive amount of zinc dust causes short-term diseases: Zinc dust is a fine powder that is used in various applications, such as in the production of paints, coatings, and pigments. However, exposure to high levels of zinc dust can be harmful to human health, particularly to the respiratory system. Inhaling a higher amount of zinc dust can cause a specific short-term disease called metal fume fever. This is a flu-like illness with symptoms of a metallic taste in the mouth, headache, fever, chills, aches, chest tightness, and cough. It can also cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, stomach damage, and diarrhea. These factors are anticipated to restrain the zinc dust market.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Opportunity
- Rapid increase in the use of zinc dust in agriculture: Zinc dust plays a crucial role in agriculture as a nutrient supplement for fertilizers, addressing zinc deficiencies in soils. With the world’s population steadily rising and the demand for food production escalating, the agriculture sector is placing increasing importance on enhancing crop yields. As a result, the demand for zinc dust is expected to grow as farmers and agribusinesses seek to optimize plant health and overall productivity. Its effectiveness in remedying zinc deficiencies makes zinc dust an essential component of modern agricultural practices.
Zinc Dust Market Report Coverage
|Market Size in 2022:
|US$ 348.25 Bn
|Historical Data for:
|2018 to 2021
|2023 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
|2030 Value Projection:
|US$ 554.21 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa: GCC, South Africa and Rest of Middle East and Africa
- By Type: Chemical Grade, Paint Grade, Others
- By Application: Chemicals, Paint, Pharmaceutical, Personal Care & Cosmetics, Others
Companies Covered (10): EverZinc, S. Zinc, Numinor Chemical Industries Ltd., Hanchang, Silox India Private Limited, Metal Powder Company Limited (MEPCO), Toho Zinc Co., Ltd., Hakusui Tech Co., Ltd., Pars Zinc Dust Manufacturing Co. (PZD), and Jiangsu Shenlong Zinc Industry Co., Ltd
- Growing demand from paint & coatings industry
- Multiple application of zinc dust in pharmaceutical, chemical, and other industries
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Side effects of zinc dust on human health
Global Zinc Dust Market: Trends
- Growing demand from the cosmetics and personal care industries: The zinc dust market’s growth is driven by the increasing demand for zinc dust in the cosmetics and personal care industries. Furthermore, the unique sacrificing method of zinc dust has the ability to prevent rust. Thus, zinc dust is widely utilized as an anti-corrosive agent in a comprehensive range of shielding coatings, like industrial, marine, and yacht Zinc dust is also employed as a medium for drug manufacturing procedures in the pharmaceutical industry. These factors are expected to boost the zinc dust market during the forecast period.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Key Developments
- In January 2023, Umicore is a leading circular materials technology company with an extensive expertise in the fields of material science, chemistry and metallurgy which has announced that it had signed a long-term agreement with a leading global paints and coatings company to supply zinc dust. The agreement is for a period of five years and is worth an estimated 100 million euros.
- In February 2023, Votorantim Group announced that it had started production at its new zinc dust plant in Brazil. The plant has a capacity of 50,000 tons per year and is expected to meet the growing demand for zinc dust in the region. Votorantim Group is a permanently capitalized investment holding company, with a long-term investment approach in Brazil and worldwide,
- In March 2023, Hanchang announced that it had signed a contract to supply zinc dust to a leading global automotive manufacturer. The contract is for a period of three years and is worth an estimated US$50 million.
- In April 2023, Transpek-Silox Industry announced that it had increased its zinc dust production capacity by 20%. The increase is in response to the growing demand for zinc dust in the Asia Pacific region.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Regional Analysis
Among regions, Asia Pacific held the highest revenue market share of 40% in 2022 and is expected to be the dominant region during the forecast period due to the rising disposable income of the growing population along with the rising usage of zinc products in the rubber processing, agriculture, paints, and coatings industries. The growing demand for zinc sulfate as fertilizer to prevent deficiency in crops.
Figure 1. Global Zinc Dust Market Share (%), By Region, 2022
To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy
Regionally, Asia Pacific dominated the global zinc dust market in terms of revenue, in 2022, followed by North America and Europe, respectively.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Segmentation
The global zinc dust market is segmented on the basis of type, application, and region. Based on type, the market is divided into chemical grade, paint grade, and others. On the basis of application, the market is segmented into chemical, paint, pharmaceutical, personal care & cosmetics, and others. On the basis of region, the market is segmented into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Middle East and Africa.
Figure 2. Global Zinc Dust Market Share (%), By Type, 2022
To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy
On the basis of type, in 2022, the paint grade segment accounted for the largest market share of 64% in terms of value, followed by the chemical grade segment.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has drastically affected the overall operations of industries across different regions, owing to lockdowns imposed for prolonged periods, restrictions enforced on international trade, shutdowns of manufacturing units, travel bans that led to supply chain disintegration, shortages of raw materials, and others. Zinc dust is used in the paint industry as well as the chemical industry. Chemical plants in leading regions such as Asia Pacific, North America, and Europe have affected the global supply chain and negatively impacted the manufacturing, delivery schedules, and sales of various chemical products.
Global Zinc Dust Market: Key Companies
The key companies operating in the global zinc dust market are EverZinc, S. Zinc, Numinor Chemical Industries Ltd., Hanchang, Silox India Private Limited, Metal Powder Company Limited (MEPCO), Toho Zinc Co., Ltd., Hakusui Tech Co., Ltd., Pars Zinc Dust Manufacturing Co. (PZD), and Jiangsu Shenlong Zinc Industry Co., Ltd
*Definition: Zinc dust is a fine gray powder of zinc metal that is produced by distilling primary or secondary zinc in closed, horizontal furnaces. The vapor emitted from the zinc is then condensed as dust. Zinc dust is primarily used in coatings and paints industry. It is used as catalyst in many chemical reactions such as synthesis reactions, decomposition reactions, single-replacement reactions, etc.