Biocides are chemicals or microorganisms that destroy, control, or prevent the effects of harmful organisms such as bacteria, mold, insects, algae, and rodents. Biocides includes a broad range of products including insecticides, disinfectants, pesticides, and preservatives.
Some commonly used biocides are chloroisocyanurates, iodophors, sodium bromide, copper azole, chromated copper arsenate, oxybisphenoxarsine, isothiazolones, quaternary ammonium compounds, triclosan, pentachlorophenol, sorbates, benzoic acid, and glutaraldehyde.
Biocides have a wide range of applications including healthcare, food industry, animal husbandry, and water treatment among others.
Biocides are used in paint and coatings industry to reduce its microbial spoilage. Growing paint and coatings industries is driving growth of global biocides market. According to Coherent Market Insights, global paint and coatings market is estimated to reach US$ 235 billion by 2025.
Biocides protect wood from fungi, insects, termites, ants, and other microbes that damage wood. According to a study by Coherent Market Insights, global wood preservatives market is estimated to surpass US$ 2.07 billion by 2025. This growing demand for wood preservatives is fuelling growth of the global biocides market.
Stringent regulations by regulatory authorities such as U.S. Environment Protection Agency (EPA) and European Union is hindering growth of the global biocides market. For instance, EU Biocides Regulation 528/2012 provides authorization based on toxicity to human health and environment for use of biocidal products in European Union. In March 2018, South Korea's Ministry of Environment (MoE) announced introduction of new biocides law – K-BPR – which will be enforced from January 2019.
Biocides Market Outlook
- North America held the largest market share in 2017 in the global biocides market. Growing demand for biocides in various applications including waste water treatment is driving biocides market in North America.
- According to American Society of Civil Engineers Survey in 2017, the U.S. has 14,748 wastewater treatment plants and 56 million new users will be connected by 2032 to centralized wastewater treatment systems. In January 2018, the Pennsylvania Government announced investment of US$ 74 million for 13 drinking water, wastewater, storm water, and other water infrastructure projects in Pennsylvania, U.S. Such government investments for waste water treatment is increasing demand for biocides.
- Growing food industry is contributing to growth of the biocides market in North America as biocides are used in food industry for treatment of processing areas, production plants, and food containers to control microbial growth in food and beverages. According to Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ontario, food and beverages stores sales in Canada in 2016 was US$ 117,901 million, which increased to US$ 121,914 million in 2017.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing biocide market during the forecast period (2018-2025). China, India, Japan, and South Korea held significant market share in the Asia Pacific biocides market in 2017.
- Growing government initiatives on water treatment and providing safe drinking water is supporting growth of the biocides market in this region. For instance, Thirteenth Five Year Plan in 2016, Government of China aims to increase rates of wastewater treatment.
- Biocides such as triacetin, resorcinol and others are used in personal care products and cosmetics to inhibit growth of microorganisms in finished products. Growing demand for personal care and cosmetic products is also propelling growth of biocides market in Asia Pacific. According to International Trade Association, total domestic cosmetics market in India is growing at 15% annually in 2016, faster than that of the U.S. and Europe.
Business Strategies and Key Players
- Players operating in the global biocides market are adopting various strategies including mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and new product development to increase geographic presence and product portfolio in the market. For instance, in July 2015, Troy Corporation acquired industrial biocides business from Ashland Inc. In July 2013, Akcros Chemicals and Dow Microbial Control announced its partnership in which, Akcros will be the channel partner for plastic biocides while Dow Microbial Control will provide expertise for production of plastic biocides. In June 2018, Gel-clear Ltd. launched Eco-clear, an eco-friendly biocide spray.
- Key players operating in the global biocides market includes Akzonobel N.V., BASF SE, Lubrizol Corporation, Clariant AG, DowDuPont Inc., Thor Group Limited, Kemira OYJ, Troy Corporation, Lanxess AG, Solvay SA, Lonza Group Ltd., Albemarle Corporation, and Baker Hughes Incorporated.
- In September, 2019, Vink Chemicals GmbH & Co. KG, a biocide producer acquired Schulke's product portfolio of technical biocides and oil & gas additives. The acquisition aimed to expand the Vink Chemical’s product portfolio, thereby increasing the product offerings to its customers.
- In September, 2019, Tolsa announced to launch the biocidal additives for paints & coatings in its new range of biocidal additives namely ADINS Protection Range. ADINS Protection Range would include ADINS Protection S4 and ADINS Protection S10 which are active against gram positive and gram negative bacteria and fungi. Its application lies in paints and coatings, plastics & rubbers and construction (Joint Mortars)
- In August, 2015, Oxea GmbH, a Germany based chemical company announced the launch of new product n-Propanol (Biocide Quality). It is designed for the manufacturers who needs base material and which also meets the requirements of the European legislation for biocidal products, the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR).
On the basis of product, the global biocides market is segmented into:
- Halogen Compounds
- Chlorine Compounds
- Bromine Compounds
- Iodine Compounds
- Organic Acid
- Metallic Compounds
- Copper Based
- Magnesium Based
- Mercury Based
On the basis of end-use industry, the global biocides market is segmented into:
- Water Treatment
- Wood Preservation
- Personal Care
- Food & Beverage
- Paints & Coatings
- Oil & Gas
On the basis of region, the global biocides market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa