Caps and closures are plastic packaging on top of bottles, jars, tubes, cans, and so on. Caps and closures are of different types such as screw top, crown cap, snap on, friction fit, tamper evident, and dispersing. Caps and closures find a broad range of application in numerous industries such as beverages, cosmetics, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. The material used to manufacture caps and closures must possess excellent balance of stiffness and toughness along with good chemical resistance. Generally, caps and closures of lightweight and high toughness are preferred in the market.
Significant demand for product safety, rising demand from end-use industries, product differentiation, and a large product scope are the major drivers for caps and closures market. Rising implementation of stringent environmental regulations and availability of substitutes in the market are projected to be the factors hindering market growth.
Caps and Closures Market Taxonomy
The global caps and closures market is segmented as follows:
On the basis of raw material;
- Other Plastic Films
- Full Card Blister
On the basis of end-use industry;
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages
- Alcoholic Beverage
- Cosmetic & Toiletries
- Others End Uses
Metal as a raw material is mostly used in the pharmaceutical industry, for storage of liquor, and for certain high temperature applications. Plastics caps and closures are used in everyday items, such as food containers and cosmetics bottles, and for non-reacting chemicals storage.
Caps and Closures Market Outlook
- Asia Pacific is the largest and estimated to be the fastest growing market due to increasing demand in end-use industries such as alcoholic beverages, beer, food & soft beverages, and pharmaceuticals due to their low production cost and ability to keep the beverages safe
- North America and Europe are also expected to grow due to increasing rate of beer consumption in the region, during the forecast period. Also, it is expected that the consumption of liquor will increase in forecast period. Pharmaceutical industry in these regions drives the demand for highly chemical resistance caps and closures for various uses within the industry
- High disposable incomes of the Middle East population drives consumerism. The consumption of electronics and consumer goods are increasing rapidly, driving the market growth of caps and closures. Decline in markets of Syria and Iran have been compensated by high growth rate in the GCC countries
- The Latin America market is witnessing robust growth in the caps and closures market, which is mainly driven by the increase in per capita income of middle class population. Significant reduction in cost, excellent performance, lightweight, and low operational costs are some of the benefits offered by caps and closures, which fuel the market demand
- In July 2019, Berry Global Group Inc. acquired RPC Group plc, a manufacturer of plastic packaging products including caps & closures. RPC Group currently has 153 manufacturing sites in 33 countries. The acquisition will help Berry Global to expand its production capacity and increase its market share in caps and closures market.
- In March 2018, RPC Zeller Plastik Zell (subsidiary of RPC Group plc based in Germany) launched a new 19mm tube closure, first standard push-on-flip-top hinge tube closure (HTC) of small size. The closure will find application in cosmetic and pharmaceutical products. The new product launch helped RPC Group to expand its product portfolio.
- In September 2019, Guala Closures Group launched its new range of communicating closures NeSTGATE at Luxe Pack Monaco exhibition. By placing a smartphone close to a bottle equipped with NeSTGATE caps, consumers can have access to product information, tasting tips, games, offers and social media. The NeSTGATE caps have been developed for wine, spirits, and olive oil bottles.
- In August 2019, AptarGroup, Inc. entered in to a partnership with Nippon Closures Co., Ltd (manufacturer of bottle closures based in Japan). Under the partnership the companies will cross-license their technologies for producing tethered beverage closures. The partnership will help AptarGroup to expand its product portfolio of dispensing closures.
- In March 2019, PACCOR (UK based packaging products manufacturer) launched its new lightweight bottle closures having 13 % less plastic. This helped company to expand its product portfolio.
Some of the major players in the caps and closures market are Guala Closures Group (Italy), Amcor Limited Plc (Australia), RPC Group PLC (U.K.), Crown Holdings Incorporation (U.S.), Rexam PLC (U.K.), Silgan Holdings Inc. (U.S.), AptarGroup, Inc. (U.S.), and Berry Plastics Corporation (U.S.).