Citrus can be found in a wide range of shape, size, color, and flavor. Citrus flavors range from acidic and distinctive light aroma of lime to rich sweet. Orange is one of the most widely recognized citrus flavor used in the food and beverages industry, followed by lemon. Artificial flavors are prepared from peel and fiber of citrus fruits. Citrus Oil is produced by hydro diffusion when steams run through the plant material. Then steam breaks down the cell of the plant and carries the essential in a container.
- Diverse applications and health benefits of citrus flavors are the key factors driving the global citrus flavors market growth. Citrus fruits have many advantages such as rich in source of antioxidants and vitamin C, has low calorific value, boosts heart health, and may reduce the risk of kidney stones. Citrus fruits also helps in losing extra weight and improves digestion. Manufacturers prefer to add citrus flavors in the beverages due to its tangy taste and it also provides refreshing taste. Citrus flavors are widely used in alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages such as coffee and tea, soft drinks, and nutritional drinks.
- Bulk availability of feedstock will create the opportunities for the manufacturers to innovate and develop new type of products. According to statistics of Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), global production of combined lime & lemon and citrus fruits was 30.3 million tons in 2016 and grew at the rate of 3.6% during 2015-2016.
- However, consumer should take measures while consuming citrus flavored products. Excessive consumption of citrus flavored food can cause cavities as they are acidic in nature and often sugar is added in fruit beverages, which can affect diabetic patients.
- Among ingredients type, natural ingredients segment accounted for the highest market share in the citrus flavor market in 2017. Citrus flavors are extracted from citrus fruits and they are widely used as a natural flavoring agent in food products. Manufacturers and food processors prefer this type of ingredients due to its advantages. Orange constitutes the highest share in natural citrus ingredients.
- Among type of applications, beverages segment was the leading segment in the market in 2017. Citrus flavor gives refreshing taste to beverages. Lemon oil is used especially in carbonated beverages. Beverages segment is projected to be the dominant segment in the market over the forecast period.
- North America held the highest market share in the global citrus flavor market in 2017. The region is projected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period, owing to high preference for citrus flavor products and increasing popularity of citrus aromatherapy. According to International Trade Centre, lemon and sweet orange were the top essential oils preferred by the aromatherapist in 2014.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region in the market over the forecast period. According to a statistics by Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), production of oranges in China will increase from 300,000 tons to 7.3 million tons in 2018, due to favorable weather conditions. Asia Pacific is major producer of citrus fruits in the world. For instance, according to Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), Asia accounted for 55.9% of the world’s production of citrus fruits in Key factors such as research and development in food industry and availability of wide range of products are the driving factors.
Key players in Global Citrus Flavor Market
- Key players operating in the global citrus flavor market include Kerry Group Plc., Takasago International Corp., Frutarom Industries Ltd., Sensient Technologies Corp, Firmenich International SA, Symrise AG, Givaudan SA, Citromax Flavors Inc., and International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. among others.
- Manufacturers are launching new types of food and beverages products in order to meet rising demand from consumer. For instance, in May 2017, PersiCo launched a new product, LEMON under the brand name of 7up and has three types of flavors including lemon, white peach, and cucumber mint.
- In January 2019, Archer Daniel Midland Co., acquired florida chemical co., which specializes in citrus-based flavors and fragrances. Florida chemical co., is a division of flotek industries which offers citrus flavors materials, essential oils as well as flavor enhancer for grapefruit and citrus. The company’s citrus flavors modifiers are designed to improve the quality and taste of food and beverages sweetened with natural or artificial sweeteners. With this acquisition the ADM company focusing to strengthen its position in the market.
- In March 2019, The Archer Daniels Midland Co. acquired the Ziegler Group, a provider of natural citrus flavor ingredients to strengthen its position in the citrus flavor market. The Ziegler Group uses proprietary cold concentration technologies to produce natural citrus oils, extracts, concentrates and compounds for flavor, food and beverage industry customers in Europe, the United States and Japan.
Citrus Flavors Market Taxonomy
On the basis of ingredients, the global citrus flavors market is segmented into:
- Natural Ingredients
- Artificial Ingredients
On the basis of application, the global citrus flavors market is segmented into:
On the basis of form, the global citrus flavors market is segmented into:
On the basis of region, the global citrus flavors market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa