Modular self-reconfigurable robotic systems are responsible for designing, controlling, fabricating, and motion planning of kinematic machines by using variable morphology. These robots use lattice architectures, which is 3D patterns for assembly and connection of each component by transmitting electrical and mechanical power. These provide high robustness and high versatility, which is further aids in robotic automation. In addition to this, they are aid in decision making and can automatically adjust and change their own shape or structure, depending on the task. They can make a comprehensive range of morphologies that can be composed by using the same component and for this, they may use wheels, grippers, and camera among other accessories. Moreover, these are highly versatility, and can rearrange their morphology and they consists of similar components. Owing to that, if somehow any module is damaged during operation, they can automatically discard the damaged module with an identical module and rearrange their own structure. These factors are favorable to propel growth of the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market over the forecast period.
Sambot is a self-reconfiguring, self-assembly robot. It consists embedded mechatronics integrated technology, which includes actuators, microprocessors, sensors, power, and communication units integrated in the module. Hence, this Sambot robot can move autonomously, can change their morphology and rearrange it. Moreover, it can connect with other modules and it has the capacity to lift two other modules, and to move a complete system. It is smaller in size and has operational running time at least 15 minutes. Therefore, it can be utilized in search and rescue program.
However, high initial installation cost for low-volume production applications is one of the major factors that is expected to restraint growth of the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market.
Self-reconfiguring modular robot market Taxonomy
On the basis of offering, the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market is segmented into:
On the basis of product type, the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market is segmented into:
- Lattice architectures
- Chain/tree architectures
- Deterministic reconfiguration
- Mobile architectures
- Stochastic reconfiguration
On the basis of application, the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market is segmented into:
On the basis of end-user industry, the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market is segmented into:
- Electrical and Electronics
- Metals and Machinery
- Plastics, Rubber, and Chemicals
- Food and Beverages
- Precision Engineering and Optics
- Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics
On the basis of regions, the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market is classified into:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
Global Self-reconfiguring Modular Robot Market: Regional Insights
The global self-reconfiguring modular robot market is segmented on the basis of regions into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, and Africa. The market for self-reconfiguring modular robot in Asia Pacific is expected to account for the largest share in the global market over the forecast period. This growth is attributed to increased adoption of robots by several manufacturers, especially in emerging economies such as China and India. According to International Federation of Robots Organization (IFR), in 2015 the sales of robots was totaled 160,558 units from 134,444 units in 2014. The total sales for robots in China, individually, accounted for 68,556 units in 2015, which is higher than the total sales in 2014 which was 57,096 units of robots. This sale is mainly driven by increasing adoption of these in automotive, electrical/electronics industry, metal industry, and rubber and plastics industry. Hence, this huge demand for robots in several industries in Asia Pacific region is expected to propel the region self-reconfiguring modular robots market by 2025.
Global Self-reconfiguring Modular Robot Market: Competitive Background
Major players operating in the global self-reconfiguring modular robot market include ABB Ltd., Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd., Yaskawa Electric Corporation, Fanuc Corporation, Kuka AG, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Denso Corporation, Nachi-Fujikoshi Corp., Comau S.P.A., Universal Robots A/S, and CMA Robotics S.P.A.
Global Self-reconfiguring Modular Robot Market: Key Developments
- In October 2018, ABB announced to build the world’s most advanced robotics factory in Shanghai. The investment will combine connected digital technologies, state-of-the-art collaborative robotics and cutting-edge artificial intelligence research to create the most sophisticated, automated and flexible Factory.
- In June 2018, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd and ABB showcased the world’s first common collaborative robot operating interface at automatica in Munich, Germany.
- In November 2016, Yaskawa Electric Corporation developed the MOTOMAN-MH5BM (load capacity: 5 kg), a six-axis vertical articulated robot, ideal for areas which require high levels of hygiene control such as the biomedical field, which includes drug discovery research, pharmaceutical and medical industry, as well as the beverage industry.
- In October 2019, Fanuc Corporation introduced robots for machine tending industry works such as compact high speed and high payload, which can be applied to all processes like load / unload for machine tools and inspection.
- In January 2019, KUKA launched new generation of the KR QUANTEC series, which are designed for use in nearly every market segment – such as the automotive industry, the foundry sector and the field of medicine, as well as for processing and handling tasks.