The Global Acetazolamide Market
, by Formulation (Tablets, Capsules, and Injection), by Application (Glaucoma, Epilepsy, Drug-induced Edema, Altitude Sickness, Fluid Retention, Heart Failure, and Seizures), By Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacy, Retail Pharmacy, and Online Pharmacy), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa)
was valued US$ 191.8 million
in 2018, and is projected to exhibit a CAGR of 4.8%
during the forecast period (2018 - 2026) as highlighted in a new report published by .
Acetazolamide is one of the most preferred medication for glaucoma incidences as it helps in relieving symptoms and reduces risk of serious complications among patients of glaucoma. Acetazolamide is sold under different trade names including AZM, Diamox, Acemox, Evamox, and Setacar. The drug is used to treat glaucoma, epilepsy, attitude sickness, and heart failure induced edema.
Browse 23 Market Data Tables and 25 Figures spread through 152 Pages and in-depth TOC on "Acetazolamide Market, by Formulation (Tablets, Capsules and Injection), by Application (Glaucoma, Epilepsy, Drug-induced Edema, Altitude Sickness, Fluid Retention, Heart Failure and Seizures), By Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacy, Retail Pharmacy, and Online Pharmacy) and by Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) - Global Forecast to 2026"
To know the latest trends and insights related to acetazolamide market, click the link below:
Furthermore, key players are engaged in launching acetazolamide-based products along with gaining regulatory approval for the same in the market.
For instance, in November 2017, Strides Pharma Global Pte. Ltd. — subsidiary of Strides Shasun Limited—received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for acetazolamide tablets, 125 mg and 250 mg, a generic version of Diamox Tablets. Acetazolamide tablet is used to prevent and reduce the symptoms of altitude sickness and treat a certain type of eye problem (open-angle glaucoma). In the U.S., company’s acetazolamide tablets are marketed by Strides Pharma Inc.
Furthermore, in November 2012, Sagent Pharmaceuticals introduced acetazolamide for injection, specified for adjunctive treatment of edema due to congestive heart failure, drug-induced edema, centrencephalic epilepsies, and chronic simple glaucoma, secondary glaucoma, and preoperatively in acute angle-closure glaucoma.
Key takeaways of the Acetazolamide Market:
- The global acetazolamide market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4.8% during the forecast period (2018 – 2026), owing to high prevalence of glaucoma, edema, and its associated risk factors such as diabetes, family history of glaucoma, high blood pressure, among others.
- Among formulation, tablets segment accounted for major market share in 2017. Acetazolamide is majorly used in the treatment of glaucoma and altitude sickness, owing to increasing dosing preference and clinical effectiveness of acetazolamide. For instance, according to data published in the BMJ journal in September 2012, daily doses of 250 mg, 500 mg, and 750 mg acetazolamide was found to be effective in preventing acute mountain sickness.
- Among applications, glaucoma segment held major market share, in 2017. Acetazolamide is approved and increasingly used as carbonic anhydrase inhibitor in the treatment of glaucoma, by offering substantial pressure relief effect.
- Among distribution channel, hospitals pharmacies segment held major market share in 2017. Hospital pharmacies act as key channel in distribution of acetazolamide medication to glaucoma patients who are treated in hospital.
- Some of the major players operating in global acetazolamide market include Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Accord Healthcare Ltd. (Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited), Heritage Pharmaceuticals Inc., Nostrum Laboratories Inc., Novast Laboratories Ltd., Cadila Healthcare (Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc.), Lannett Company, Inc., Strides Shasun Limited, and X-GEN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.