The global chia seeds market was valued at US$ 0.36 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach US$ 5.04 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 34.48% during the forecast period (2017–2025), according to a Global Chia Seeds Market, by Color (White, Black and Brown), by Product Type (Whole Chia Seeds, Grounded Chia Seeds and Chia Seed Oil), and by End-Use Industry (Food & beverages, Nutraceuticals, Personal Care, and Others).
Key factors such as growing demand for chia seeds & chia seed oil by food & beverages industry, changing dietary habits among people coupled with shifting consumer preference towards vegan food and gluten-free diet, increasing awareness about advantages of chia seeds along with rapid adoption of chia seed blended products in regulating cholesterol and blood pressure are driving growth of the global chia seeds market throughout the forecast period. Moreover, growing awareness about chia seeds among farmers due to higher returns, less cultivation cost and short duration time is playing important role in market growth. However, side effects associated with higher consumption of chia seeds may have negative impact on growth of chia seeds market. In addition, availability of multiple alternatives to chia seeds such as flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds and various others is a key challenge for market growth.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 150 market data tables* and 60 figures* on "Chia Seeds Market” - Global forecast to 2025.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Chia Seeds Market:
- Among product types, whole chia seeds segment accounted for highest revenue share in global chia seeds market in 2016. Owing to ease of handling and higher shelf life of whole chia seeds as compared to other product types, the segment is projected to retain its position over the forecast period. Moreover, chia seed oil segment is expected to indicate significant growth due to increasing demand for chia seed oil especially in pharmaceuticals and personal care industries.
- Among end-use industry, food & beverages segment dominated global chia seeds market in 2016. Owing to increasing use of chia seed ingredients in the manufacturing of functional food & flavored health drinks along with favorable growth of food & beverages industries across the world, the segment is projected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- According to study, North America held highest revenue share in global chia seeds market in 2016. The growth of chia seeds market in North America is mainly attributed due to increasing demand for organic nutraceutical products and beverages in the region. According to Organic Trade Association (OTA) North America, in 2016, sales of organic food products in the U.S. increases by 8.4% in comparison with previous year and reached to US$ 43 billion. Moreover, nearly 5.3% of all the food sold in the United States in 2016 was organic and 4% of total food sales in the U.S. in 2016 were of organic products.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region in global Chia Seeds market by witnessing a CAGR of 35.49% throughout the forecast period. In Asia Pacific, favorable growth of food & beverages industries in emerging economies such as China, India is expected to have positive impact on growth of Asia Pacific chia seeds market throughout the forecast period.
- Key players are investing to develop new chia seed beverages to enhance their product portfolio. For instance, in September 2017, Mamma Chia introduced Chia Protein Smoothies, which is combination of organic ground chia seeds with organic fruit purees and organic coconut cream, in Super Berry, Dark Cherry, Island Mango and Cool Watermelon flavor.