The global natural biomaterials market
was estimated at US$ 57.75 billion in 2018, according to Natural Biomaterials Market Report, by Product Type (Hyaluronic Acid, Collagen, Gelatin, Fibrin, Cellulose, Chitin/chitosan, Others), by Application (Cardiovascular, Orthopedic, Dental, Plastic Surgery, Wound Healing, Neurology, Neurological Disorders/Central Nervous Systems, Tissue Engineering, Ophthalmology, and Others), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa), published by
The global natural biomaterials market is projected to reach US$ 194.29 billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 14.4% during the forecast period. The market growth is driven by increasing demand for orthobiologics, escalating usage of natural biomaterials in spine surgeries along with growing orthopedic and cardiovascular surgeries. Furthermore, rising investements in biomaterials field, tremendous growth for plastic surgery, and wound healng applications are expected to boost market growth in the near future.
Biomaterials are used for replacing or repairing body tissues and organs Biomaterials are categorized into two main groups: synthetic and natural biomaterials. Synthetic biomaterials are classified as ceramics, metals, biodegradable, and non-biodegradable polymers. Synthetic biomaterials are applied in clinical treatment such as dacron, metal hip, plastic intraocular lens, and other applications. Synthetic biomaterials have few drawbacks including their structure and its composition not being similar to native tissues or organs. Their biocompatibility and ability to induce tissue remodeling is low in comparison with natural biomaterials. Therefore, natural biomaterials play a vital role in replacing tissues and organs and have been attracting scientist’s interest across the globe.
Naturally derived biomaterial are derived from biologicals sources such as harvested animal tissues or human donor. Natural Biomaterials has applications in bone regeneration, cardiovascular regeneration, nerve regeneration, and hepatic regeneration.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 30 market data tables* and 15 figures* on "Natural Biomaterials Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Natural Biomaterials Market:
Key Takeaways of the Natural Biomaterials Market:
- Among application, cardiovascular segment accounted for the largest market share of more than 35.0% in 2018, in the global natural biomaterials market. Cardiovascular disease is a leading cause of death in the U.S., resulting in around US$ 300 billion healthcare expenditure annually. The irreversible tissue or organ damage from heart disease creates urgent requirement for novel methods of repair for the heart. Treatments for cardiac diseases ranges from medications to surgical interventions.
- Natural biomaterials are used for heart valves, bypass grafts, heart transplants, and other cardiovascular treatments. Increasing number of cardiovascular surgeries and heart transplants is generating high demand for natural biomaterials.
- Furthermore, plastic surgery emerged as fastest growing segment and is anticipated grow at a CAGR of 16.2% over the forecast period. The demand for plastic surgery is driven by growing trend for cosmetic surgeries.
- Among product type, collagen is the most frequently used natural biomaterial. Factors such as increasing applications of natural biomaterials in tissue engineering, wound healing, plastic surgery, cardiovascular surgeries, growing number of knee and hip replacement procedures, along with high growth in geriatric population is estimated to propel the demand for natural biomaterials market during the forecast period.
- Stringent government regulations associated with the use of biomaterials materials are expected to hinder growth of the market during the forecast period.
- North America accounted for market share of 30.0% in 2018, in the global natural biomaterials market, owing to rising bio-based research, developed healthcare infrastructure, high healthcare expenditure, increasing conferences of biomaterials, and rising prevalence of cardiovascular diseases in the region is expected to boost the demand for natural biomaterials in the near future.
- Asia Pacific is predicted to be fastest growing region in the market during the forecast period, owing to growing plastic and cosmetics surgery in India, favorable tax policies in China, increasing aging population, along with lucrative medical device industry in the emerging economies such as China and India. Escalating knee replacement and hip surgeries is expected to fuel the demand for natural biomaterials in the region.
- Major players operating in the global natural biomaterials market include BASF SE, Biomet, Inc., Invibio Ltd., Mimetis Biomaterials, Royal DSM, Corbion N.V., Botiss Biomaterials GmbH, and Medtronic, Inc.