The global tomato seeds market was valued at US$ 1,022.6 Million in 2018, according to Global Tomato Seeds Market Report, by Product Type (Hybrid Tomato Seeds and Open Pollinated/Heirloom Tomato Seeds), by Plant Growth Habit (Determinate & Semi-determinate and Indeterminate), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa), published by . The global tomato seeds market is projected to reach US$ 1,798.6 Million by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period. Increasing demand and production of tomatoes, growing consumer awareness regarding health benefits of tomato seeds, and high investments for the development of greenhouses to plant tomatoes are major factors driving growth of the global tomato seeds market during the forecast period. For instance, in 2017, BayWa AG, a company based in Germany and Abu Dhabi based company, Al Dahra, jointly invested US$ 33.57 million to expand their business in Abu Dhabi for the production of tomatoes and other premium vegetables utilizing latest greenhouse technologies. Moreover, in 2018, Al Dahra started a new greenhouse in Al Ain, UAE. This new greenhouse facility is expected to produce 3,000 tons of tomatoes, annually. However, seeds used for growing tomatoes in greenhouses differ from the seeds used for growing tomatoes under natural conditions. Therefore, the price of seeds used for greenhouse-produced tomatoes is comparatively higher than the cost of seeds used in natural environment. This is expected to restrain growth of the global tomato seeds market. To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below: https://www.coherentmarketinsights.com/market-insight/tomato-seeds-market-1229 Browse 65 market data tables* and 40 figures* on "Tomato Seeds Market” - Global forecast to 2027. Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Tomato Seeds Market:
- Among product type, the hybrid tomato seeds segment is expected to witness the fastest growth over the forecast period in the global tomato seeds market, owing to numerous advantages of hybrid tomato seeds over open-pollinated tomato seeds such as higher yield. Moreover, hybrid tomato seeds mature early and uniformly. Therefore, farmers prefer hybrid seeds instead of open-pollinated seeds in spite of higher cost. Moreover, countries such as Egypt is witnessing high demand for hybrid seeds, owing to their advantages. For instance, according to a report published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2019, titled 'Egypt Planting Seeds Sector Overview – A Growing Opportunity for U.S. Seeds', the conventional seed market in Egypt is dominated by the hybrid seed market. According to the same source, farmers are considering hybrid varieties of vegetable seeds (including hybrid tomato seeds), owing to early maturation and heat-tolerance properties of the seeds and limited water resources and hot weather conditions ion Egypt.
- Among plant growth habits, the indeterminate segment witnessed the fastest growth in the global tomato seeds market in 2018. Growth of indeterminate seeds is indefinite and depends on favorable environmental conditions. The indeterminate tomato plants demonstrate continuous growth such as vines, which are also called vine tomatoes. The stems of indeterminate tomato plants are long and weak, therefore, they require support and staking in the growth phase. Variety of indeterminate tomato seeds flower in clusters and fruiting is mostly delayed. Indeterminate varieties of tomatoes have a flower cluster that occurs at every third internode along the main axis. The popular indeterminate tomato seed varieties include, Beefmaster, Supersteak, Sweet Million, Yellow Pear, and Long Keeper.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- North America accounted for the largest market share in 2018, in the global tomato seeds market. This is attributed to growing production of and demand for tomatoes in the region. For instance, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. tomato imports was valued at US$ 2.17 billion in 2017, which increased by 9% to reach US$ 2.38 billion in 2018. Volume of tomato imports was pegged at 1.79 million metric tons in 2017, which increased by 4% to reach 1.86 million metric tons in 2018.
- Key players and research organizations in the global tomato seeds market are focusing on research & development activities to increase production of tomatoes. For instance, a research conducted by the Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority, R&D Division was published in 2017 by the American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology and Sciences. The research was titled 'Hydroponics, Aeroponic and Aquaponic as Compared with Conventional Farming‘, which concluded that the hydroponic method requires about 5% of the water and fraction of the land that is employed in conventional agriculture to produce the same amount of crop yield that is produced through conventional farming methods. The hydroponic method helps in conservation of water and increases productivity per unit area. The technique is used in production of tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vegetables.
- Major players operating in the global tomato seeds market include, BASF SE, Groupe Limagrain, Syngenta AG, Abundant Seeds Pty Ltd., Sakata Seed Corporation, Bayer AG, Advanta Seeds, Bejo Zaden BV, Enza Zaden, and Takii & Co., Ltd.