Canned food are the type of processed food products, which are packaged in metal-based cans. Various food products such as organic fruits & vegetables, meat, seafood, seasonings, and ready-to-cook meals are available in canned form. Tomatoes are predominantly used in different forms as an important ingredient in food recipes across the globe. Canned tomatoes are available in various forms such as diced, stewed, paste, pureé, juices, peeled, sauce, and others.
- The global canned tomato market has witnessed a surge in growth in the recent past, owing to shifting consumer preference towards easy and convenient food products coupled with rising awareness about harmful effects of plastic-based food packaging. Moreover, consumers are now willing to spend more on ready-to-cook meals and canned food products such as fruits, seafood, organic vegetables, and others. These factors are expected to fuel the market growth during the forecast period.
- Among regions, Asia Pacific accounted for substantial market share in terms of both, revenue and volume, in the recent past, owing to rising urbanization and increasing affinity of consumers towards western fast-food cuisines. Furthermore, rising population in the region is expected to drive demand for canned tomato during the forecast period.
- Packaged food producers face a key challenge of maintaining the taste and quality of tomato products by avoiding the exposure to external factors such as temperature and humidity throughout the process of manufacturing to distribution. Metal-based cans are therefore used for protecting the canned tomato from spoilage as well to provide convenience to the consumers. Although the rising prices of metal across the world is expected to hamper the market growth over the forecast period.
- Major companies operating in the global canned tomato market include Kronos Incorporated, Campbell, Libby’s Brand Holding, Del monte, B&G FOODS NORTH AMERICA, INC., Conagra Brands, KYKNOS, and Kraft Heinz Co.
- Companies are focusing on different strategies such as mergers and acquisitions to expand their market presence globally, which, in turn, is expected to drive the market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in October 2018, Conagra Brands, a global leader in food & beverage industry, acquired Pinnacle Foods, a U.S.-based packaged food company.
On the basis of product type, the global canned tomato market is segmented into:
- Whole Peeled Tomato
- Diced Tomato
- Stewed Tomato
- Tomato Pureé
- Tomato Paste
- Tomato Juice
On the basis of distribution channel, the global canned tomato market is segmented into:
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets
- Retail Stores
- Convenience Stores
On the basis of region, the global canned tomato market is segmented into:
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of the Europe
- Rest of Latin America
- Rest of Middle East
- North Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa