Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market is estimated to be valued at US$ 1,039.3 Mn in 2023, and is expected to reach US$ 1,491.9 Mn by 2030, exhibiting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.3% from 2023 to 2030.
Anal fissures are small tears or cuts in the lining of the anal canal that causes pain and bleeding during bowel movements. The anal fissure treatment provides medications and procedures to heal these fissures. Laxatives, nitrates, calcium channel blockers, botulinum toxin injections, and surgery are some of the common treatment options. Rising prevalence of anal fissures and constipation is driving the growth of this market.
Global anal fissure treatment market is segmented into by treatment type, route of administration, distribution channel, and region. By treatment type, the market is segmented into laxatives, topical nitrates, calcium channel blockers, stool softeners, surgery, and others. Laxatives hold the largest share in the market as these are commonly prescribed as first-line treatment. Their easy availability as OTC drugs also boosts their adoption.
Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market- Regional Insights
- North America is expected to be the largest market for anal fissure treatment during the forecast period, accounting for over 41% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to high prevalence of constipation and sedentary lifestyles in the region.
- Europe is expected to be the second-largest market for anal fissure treatment, accounting for over 30.2% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market is attributed to the presence of a large geriatric population prone to anal fissures.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing market for anal fissure treatment, with a CAGR of over 7.9% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to rising healthcare expenditure and awareness in the region.
Figure 1. Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
Analysts’ Views on Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market:
Anal fissures are small tears in the thin, moist tissue that lines the anus, and causing pain and bleeding during bowel movements. The market for anal fissure treatment includes various types of treatments such as topical nitroglycerin, calcium channel blockers, Botox injections, and surgical procedures. The market is also being propelled by increasing research and development activities in the field of gastroenterology, leading to the introduction of more effective and less invasive treatments.
Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market- Drivers
- Increasing Prevalence of Anal Fissures - Rising prevalence of anal fissures is a major factor driving growth of global anal fissure treatment market. For instance, on May 27, 2022, according to the data published by the Medscape eMedicine , 87% of people with a chronic anal fissure are between the age of 20 and 60.
- Rising Awareness and Removing Social Stigma - There is a growing awareness among patients about anal fissure treatment options. Medical professionals are helping educate patients that anal fissures are a common medical condition and there are effective solutions available. The social stigma earlier associated with anal disorders is reducing. This is encouraging more patients to seek timely medical care, thereby, spurring market growth. Educational campaigns by healthcare providers are also raising awareness.
Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market- Opportunities
- Huge Scope in Emerging Economies - Developing nations across Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Africa offer significant untapped opportunities for anal fissure treatment market players. Expanding healthcare infrastructure, rising incomes, and increasing health awareness in these regions leads to higher diagnosis rates and access to treatments. Market players can focus on strengthening distribution networks in emerging economies to tap into the large underserved patient pool. Local partnerships and educational programs can further help to gain market share.
- Growing Demand for Minimally Invasive Procedures - The preference for minimally invasive procedures like botulinum toxin injections over invasive surgeries is increasing among anal fissure patients. Patients are more inclined towards procedures with lower risk, reduced pain, faster recovery times and lower costs. Anal fissure treatment providers have an opportunity to expand their service portfolio to include the latest minimally invasive offerings and enhance market share.
Anal Fissure Treatment Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 1,039.3 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2022
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 1,491.9 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, Rest of Latin America
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa
- By Treatment Type: Laxatives, Topical Nitrates, Calcium Channel Blockers, Stool Softeners, Surgery, Others
- By Route of Administration: Oral, Topical, Others
- By Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies
Abvie, Novartis AG, Teva Pharmaceuticals, Troikaa, RDD Pharma, Ltd, Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd, Cipla Inc., Ipsen Pharma, Sanofi, Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Bliss GVS, SRS Life Sciences , Healthy Life Pharma Private Limited, Geri-Care Pharmaceuticals Corp
- Increasing Prevalence of Anal Fissures
- Rising Awareness and Removing Social Stigma
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Social Taboo Inhibiting Treatment Seeking
- Product Recall
Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market- Trends
- Launch New Products: Market players are focusing on launching new products in the market, and this is expected to propel the market growth over the forecast period. For instance, on November 29, 2018, EA Pharma Co., Ltd., a pharmaceutical company, and Mochida Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. announced launch of MOVICOL, polyethylene glycol preparation indicated for treatment of chronic constipation.
Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market- Restraints
- Social Taboo Inhibiting Treatment Seeking - Seeking medical care for anal disorders is still associated with embarrassment and social taboo in some sections of society. This makes patients reluctant to visit doctors and get examined - leading to underreporting and under treatment. The social stigma is more prevalent in developing countries and rural areas. It serves as a key barrier to wider market adoption.
- Product Recall – Increasing product recalls by the market players due contamination in the products is expected to hinder the market growth over the forecast period. For instance,on July 15, 2022, Vi-Jon, LLC, a personnel care company, voluntary recalled magnesium citrate saline laxative oral solution lemon flavor due to microbial contamination.
Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market- Recent Developments
New Product Launches
- On July 4, 2023, Acrux Limited, a pharmaceutical company, announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had accepted Acrux’s application for a generic version (Abbreviated New Drug Application or ‘ANDA’) of Nitroglycerin Ointment, 0.4% for review. Nitroglycerin Ointment, 0.4% is used to treat moderate to severe pain associated with chronic anal fissure.
Acquisition and Partnerships
- In May 8, 2020, AbbVie, a pharmaceutical company acquired Allergan in a US$ 63 billion deal, gaining access to Allergan’s leading gastroenterology portfolio
Figure 2. Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market Share (%), By Route of Administration, 2023
Top companies in Global Anal Fissure Treatment Market
- Novartis AG
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- RDD Pharma, Ltd
- Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd
- Cipla Inc.
- Ipsen Pharma
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH.
- Bliss GVS
- SRS Life Sciences
- Healthy Life Pharma Private Limited
- Geri-Care Pharmaceuticals Corp.
Definition: Global anal fissure treatment market refers to the pharmaceutical drugs, medical devices, and procedures used for treating tears or cuts in the mucosal lining of the anal canal, medically known as anal fissures. Anal fissures commonly occur due to constipation and passage of hard stools, causing bleeding and pain during bowel movements. The anal fissure treatment solutions aim to heal the fissure by reducing constipation through laxatives, softening stools, dilating the anal sphincter, or minor surgeries. The market has high growth potential owing to the rising cases of constipation and anal fissures worldwide.
Few other promising reports in Clinical Diagnostic Industry
Lung Cancer Surgery Market
Schmallenberg Virus Treatment Market
Antimicrobial Therapeutics Market
Sarcoma Biopsy Market