Flossing is one of the most vital practice followed in dental care, as it removes plaque between teeth, which is a prominent for periodontal diseases. Flossing helps remove plaque, bacteria, and food from between teeth, and reduces the likelihood of tooth decay and gum disease, while brushing removes these particles from the mouth. If people brush first and floss after, food and plaque will remain in the mouth until the next time people brush. Thus, flossing before brush makes brushing teeth more effective. Floss helps get rid of plaque, reduce the risk of cavities, and prevent gum disease such as gingivitis and periodontitis. Dental floss helps improve oral health and reduce the likelihood of periodontal diseases.
The global dental floss market was valued at US$ 588.7 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 732.5 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 4.3% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global dental floss market in 2021, accounting for 38.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Dental Floss Market Share (%), by Region, 2022
In March 2022, Plackers launched new EcoChoice Compostable Dental Flossers, a sustainable dental flossers designed to be 100% biodegradable to decompose in a home composter.
In January 2020, Colgate-Palmolive acquired Hello Products LLC, a company involved in oral care products to focus on the high growth segments within Oral Care, Personal care, and Pet Nutrition businesses.
In March 2020, Colgate-Palmolive launched a new oral care category called CO. by Colgate which consists of seven products, including teeth whiteners and toothpastes.
In December 2020, Church & Dwight announced the acquisition of Consumer Health Holdco LLC by acquiring the outstanding equity of the company.
Dental Floss Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 588.7 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2038 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 732.5 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product: Waxed floss, Un-waxed floss, and Other Products
- By Sales Channel: Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies, and Other Sales Channels
3M, Dr Wild & Co. AG, Sunstar Suisse SA, The humble Co., Procter & Gamble, Lion Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, HRB Brand (Dr. Fresh LLC), Colgate-Palmolive Company, Church & Dwight Co. Inc., Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc., and Perrigo Company Plc. (RANIR LLC).
- Increasing prevalence of periodontal diseases
- Rising awareness among people about oral hygiene
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Availability of alternatives such as floss picks
- Lack of awareness about oral hygiene
- Increasing prevalence of periodontal diseases across the globe is expected to augment growth of the global dental floss market over the forecast period. Periodontal diseases are mainly the result of infections and inflammation of the gums and bone that surround and support the teeth. For instance, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), a branch of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), periodontal diseases are prevalent both in developed and developing countries and affect around 20 to 50% of global population.
- Rising awareness among people about the benefits of oral hygiene is expected to fuel growth of the global dental floss market during the forecast period. For instance, the American Dental Association (ADA) spreads awareness among US citizens about the benefits of oral hygiene. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends flossing the teeth every day to improve oral health and prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and more.
Figure 2. Global Dental Floss Market Share (%), by Product Type, 2022
- Availability of alternatives such as floss picks is expected to hamper the growth of the global dental floss market. For instance, floss picks have several advantages over traditional floss and toothpicks, including ease of use, convenience offered while flossing the teeth with braces, and thorough cleaning. As a result, consumer trends have shifted from traditional floss or toothpick to floss picks, which in turn has increased the demand for floss picks.
- Lack of awareness about oral hygiene is expected to hinder growth of the global dental floss market. Oral diseases are considered as the public health problem due to increased prevalence with a significant social impact. Many diseases show their first appearance through oral signs and symptoms and they remain unchanged or untreated because of this missing awareness.
- Increase in use of dental floss by adults and children is expected to offer substantial growth opportunities for players in the global dental floss market. Dental floss is essential in order to prevent cavities and plaque build-up. For instance, with the increasing awareness about dental care products/practices, people worldwide are actively engaged in dental care practices such as brushing twice and flossing once in a day.
- Increase in geriatric population around the world is expected to provide significant growth opportunities for players in the global dental floss market. Worldwide, the population aged 65 and over is growing faster than all other age groups. For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), periodontal disease increases with age, 70.1% of adults 65 years and older have periodontal disease.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- High demand for dental/oral care products, such as dental floss, is expected to boost growth of the global dental floss market. For instance, in August 2021, Waterpik introduced Waterpik Sonic-Fusion 2.0, a flossing toothbrush. With upgraded features developed based on consumer feedback, Sonic-Fusion 2.0 combines power of sonic brushing with the proven effectiveness of the Waterpik Water Flosser, so users can brush and floss at the same time.
- Introduction of novel products by market players is expected to propel growth of the global dental floss market. For instance, in December 2019, BURST Oral Care released a new black dental floss containing proprietary technology that expands on contact with saliva, giving user more surface area for a deeper clean.
- Church & Dwight Co. Inc.
- Colgate-Palmolive Company
- HRB Brand (Dr. Fresh LLC)
- Johnson & Johnson
- Perrigo Company Plc. (RANIR LLC)
- Lion Corporation
- Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc
- Procter & Gamble
- The humble Co.
- Sunstar Suisse SA
- Dr Wild & Co. AG
Dental floss is a vital part of the oral hygiene routine. Flossing is one of the most vital practice followed in dental care. Moreover, dental floss helps remove bacteria, plaque, and food and it helps reduce the likelihood of periodontal diseases. Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping the mouth and teeth clean to prevent dental problems, like dental caries, gingivitis, and bad breath. Floss helps get rid of plaque, reduce the risk of cavities, and helps prevent gum disease such as gingivitis and periodontitis. American Dental Association (ADA) suggests that flossing before brush will make brushing teeth more effective. ADA also recommends flossing teeth every day to improve oral health and prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and more.
Increasing demand for dental/oral care products due to the increasing oral problems, increasing awareness of oral hygiene, and growing geriatric population across the world is expected to aid in the growth of the global dental floss market over the forecast period. For instance, in October 2020, Oral-B announced an initiative to help make better oral health outcomes possible for all. The initiative aims to inspire people to improve their brushing with the brand’s most innovative and newly launched electric toothbrush, Oral-B iO, and to provide oral health support to people and communities in need. Moreover, Oral-B planned to invest around US$ one million to help make better oral health outcomes.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global dental floss market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022-2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global dental floss market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include 3M, Dr Wild & Co. AG, Sunstar Suisse SA, The humble Co., Procter & Gamble, Lion Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, HRB Brand (Dr. Fresh LLC), Colgate-Palmolive Company, Church & Dwight Co. Inc., Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc., and Perrigo Company Plc. (RANIR LLC).
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global dental floss market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global dental floss market.
- Global Dental Floss Market, By Product:
- Waxed floss
- Un-waxed floss
- Other Products
- Global Dental Floss Market, By Sales Channel:
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Other Sales Channels
- Global Dental Floss Market, By Geography:
- North America
- South America
- Middle East & Africa