Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Flat Glass Market- 2017-2027
Definition of Market/Industry:
Flat glass is used in construction and automotive industries for windscreens, backlights, and sunroofs among others. Moreover, flat glass has applications in solar panels as well as in interior decoration, mirrors, and greenhouses. On the basis of glass type, flat glass market can be further segmented into tempered, laminated & annealed glass, coated glass, mirror glass, and others.
The flat glass market was valued at US$ 100,391.5 Mn in 2018 and is expected to reach US$ 176,748.6 Mn by the end of 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 6.6% during the forecast period (2019 to 2027).
Growing end-use industries such as automotive, among others is expected to boost demand for flat glass during the forecast period. The expansion of the building and construction industry is expected to drive the global flat glass market growth over the forecast period. For instance, according to the Global Construction Perspectives and Oxford Economics, the global construction industry is expected to reach US$ 17.5 trillion by 2030, which is US$ 8 trillion rise from 2015. Furthermore, rising demand for energy efficient products is expected to fuel demand for flat glass in energy applications. For instance, flat glass is used in the manufacture of solar control glass, low-E glass, and others. Therefore, rising adoption of energy efficient products is expected to drive growth of the flat glass market over the forecast period.
Furthermore, growing solar energy industry is expected to fuel demand for flat glass. Increasing demand for glass processing machines is facilitating the growth of the energy segment, which is further expected to create significant growth opportunities for flat glass market over the forecast period. Rising environmental awareness has led to greater utilization of solar energy, in addition with efforts to reduce dependence on non-renewable energy sources. These factors are expected to propel demand for flat glass over the forecast period.
Figure 1. Global Flat Glass Market Share (%), By Region, 2018
Increasing input price of raw materials due to inflation and exchange rates in energy sector are expected to hamper the global flat glass market growth. Moreover, fluctuating price of raw materials used in the glass industry such as silica sand, limestone, heavy fuel oil (HFO) and natural gas (NG), soda ash, and others are expected to restrain growth of the flat glass market over the forecast period.
Key players are focused on business expansion in the flat glass market, which is expected to fuel the market growth over the forecast period. These business expansions generates huge investments in the market, which creates growth opportunity for flat glass key players, globally. For instance, in April 2016, JSC Gomelsteklo signed a supply agreement for export of Gomelsteko’s glass to a Germany-based company Schollglas GmbH (a seller and processor of glass). This agreement allowed export of glass manufactured by JSC Gomelsteklo to Poland and Germany market. This strengthened and expanded company’s market presence in Europe.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways
Rising adoption of energy efficient glass is expected to propel the global flat glass market growth over the forecast period. Low-E glass is one such innovation, which is rapidly utilized by numerous end-use industries such as building & construction industry. Several key players in the market are offering Low-E glass for heat control applications. For instance, companies such as Sisecam Group offers Sisecam Low-E Glass, an energy-efficient flat glass, which helps in controlling heat, protects against UV radiation by 68%, and reduces condensation on glass surface. The glass offered by the company is utilized in the construction of small and medium sized commercial buildings and residential applications.
Figure 2. Global Flat Glass Market Share, By Glass Type, 2018
Based on glass type, tempered, laminated, & annealed segment accounted for the largest revenue share of 62.5% in terms of value in 2018, followed by coated glass, mirror glass, and others segment.
- Agc Inc.
- Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd.
- Compagnie de Saint-Gobain S.A.
- Guardian Industries
- China Glass Holdings Limited
- Luoyang Glass Company Limited
- Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co., Ltd.
- CSG Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Euroglas GmbH
- Vitro, S.A.B. de C.V.
- Taiwan Glass Industry Corporation
- Central Glass Co., Ltd.
- Cardinal Glass Industries, Inc.
- PT. Mulia Industrindo, Tbk.
- KCC Corporation
- Jinjing Group Co. Ltd.
- Kaveh Glass Industry Group
- JSC Gomelsteklo
- Xinyi Glass Holdings Limited
- Kibing Group
- In September 2018, AGC Inc. entered into partnership with NOMURA Co. Ltd. (a Japan-based designer & constructor of architectural spaces). Under this partnership, both companies will work together for development of functional interior glasses. This will help AGC Inc. to expand its presence in interior market.
Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd.
- In March 2018, Nippon Sheet Glass developed a 0.7 mm thick glass with transparent conductive oxide thin coating. The company claimed that the newly developed glass was world’s thinnest glass with transparent electro-conductive coating manufactured with chemical vapor deposition (CVD) technology.
- In May 2019, Guardian Industries started its new laminated glass production line in Orosháza, Hungary. The new production line helped the company to meet increasing demand for laminated glass in Europe. The new plant produced standard and coated laminated glass as well as acoustic, thick, coated & colored laminated glass.
- In May 2019, the company inaugurated its fifth float glass smelter in Ujazd, Poland. This helped the company in expanding its overall production capacity.