Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
A flat panel display (FPD) is an electronic view device that allows people to see content such as text or moving images in different consumer electronics, mobile devices, and a range of entertainment. FPDs are thinner and lighter than conventional cathode ray tubes (CRT), which is usually less than 10 centimeters. There are two different categories of FPDs namely emissive displays and non-emissive displays. LED is an example of an emissive display, while LCD is an example of non-emissive display. These displays are majorly used in TV monitors, laptop computers, portable electronics, digital cameras, packet video games, etc. FPDs offer high pixel resolution, enhanced contrast setting, and lower power consumption.
The global flat panel display market is estimated to be valued at US$ 142,155 million in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.8 % over the forecast period (2021-2028).
In April 2020, AU Optronics partnered with PlayNitride Inc., a Micro LED technology provider, to develop high resolution flexible micro LED display technology. AUO and PlayNitride each exerted their expertise in display and LED to jointly develop a leading 9.4-inch high resolution flexible micro LED display with the highest 228 PPI pixel density.
In January 2020, LG Display unveiled its latest displays and technologies at CES 2020 in Las Vegas from January 7 to 10. The company will introduce a 65-inch Ultra HD (UHD) Bendable OLED display and a 55-inch Full HD (FHD) Transparent OLED display.
In August 2019, LG Display announced the opening of its 8.5th generation (2,200mm x 2,500mm) OLED panel production plant in Guangzhou, China, to produce 10 million large-size OLED panels a year.
Asia Pacific excluding Japan held dominant position in the global mobile phone accessories market in 2020, accounting for 84.8% share in terms of Value, followed by Europe and Americas, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Flat Panel Display Market Value (US$ Mn), by Region, 2020
Global Flat Panel Display Market - Drivers
Rising government support to FPD industry is expected to drive growth of the global flat panel display market during the forecast period. Rising government initiatives and proactive support have led to rapid development of flat panel industry in major economies including Japan, Canada, and the U.S. For instance, the government of Japan has shown keen interest in the development of high-resolution screens. On the contrary, the U.S. Government is supporting FPD industry, which is primarily channeled through the Department of Defense. Moreover, the Korean government provides support for development of the high tech industry.
Growing adoption of FPD in mobile devices is expected to propel the global flat panel display market growth over the forecast period. Increasing demand for smartphones with augmented features is a major driving factor in the market. Smartphone manufacturers are focused on adopting FPD technology, in order to cater to increasing demand for high-quality image and clarity. FPD offers enhanced picture quality with improved contrast setting and low power consumption.
Global Flat Panel Display Market: Opportunity
FPDs are being increasingly deployed in various application areas, especially in retail segment. Major demand for LCD and PDP technologies is arising from the retail segment for application in flat digital signage Majority of small flat panel digital signage installations are taking place in retail stores and Quick Service Restaurants (QSRs).
LCD manufacturers are innovating their LCD product line and introducing new technology to sustain in the LCD panel market. For instance, in 2012, Samsung commercialized production of a transparent LCD panel for a wide variety of display applications such as platform doors of subways, commercial freezer doors, e-Boards, medical equipment, and mobile devices.
Flat Panel Display Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 142,155.0 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 197,683.5 Bn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe: Germany, U.K., France, Italy, and Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe: Poland, Russia, and Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa, Rest of Middle East
- By Technology: Liquid cristal Display (LCD), Plasma Display (PDP), Organic Light Emitting Diode Display (OLED), Others (FED, MicroDisplay, ELD)
- By Application: Consumer Electronics (LCD Television (TV), Mobile Phone, Personal Computer (PC)), Automotive Application, Others (Healthcare, Defense, Military, Aviation, Automotive)
Sony Corporation, AU Optronics Corp., Panasonic Corporation, Emerging Display Technologies Corp., LG Display Co. Ltd., Innolux Corp., Universal Display Corporation, Japan Display Inc., and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- Rising government support to FPD industry
- Growing adoption of FPD in mobile devices
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Growing adoption of FPD in mobile devices
- Restricted view angle of LCD
Development in glass OLED panels has led to next-generation displays such as plastic OLED panels. These OLED panels utilize plastic substrate instead of a conventional glass substrate that has various applications. For instance, in 2013, LG Display introduced the world’s first display manufacturer to provide mass-produced flexible OLED panels for smartphones. It is expected to expand further into diverse applications including automobile displays, tablets, etc.
With advent of smart wearable devices, especially smartwatches, the adoption of FPD has increased significantly. For instance, in 2015, AUO introduced 1.6” and 1.4" full-circle AMOLEDs for wearable devices such as smartwatches, which feature low power consumption and are ultra-slim and lightweight.
Figure 2. Global Flat Panel Display Market Share, By Technology, 2020
Key Takeaways of the Graph:
- The liquid crystal display (LCD) segment held dominant position in the market and accounted for 38% share in the global flat panel display market in 2020. The segment is expected to reach US$ 124,042.18 million in 2028. This is owing to the wider angles and large display area offered by LCD.
- The consumer electronics segment held a dominant position and accounted for 87% share in the global flat panel display market in 2020. This is segment is expected to be valued US$ 99,939.82 million by 2028, owing to growing demand for television and smartphones.
Global Flat Panel Display Market- Restraints
Saturation in the market is expected to restrain growth of the global flat panel display market during the forecast period. Popularity of LCDs is high due to engagement of some of the top players such as Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc. However, the trend is rapidly changing, owing to the introduction of more powerful technologies such as OLED, which is gaining popularity among major players in the market. Key companies in the market such as Apple are shifting towards OLED displays for application in its products such as iPad, iPhone, iTV, iWatch, etc.
Restricted view angle of LCD is expected to hinder the global flat panel display market growth over the forecast period. LCD technologies have a major drawback, restricted viewing angle. As a result of this, images and brightness on a television screen do not appear in true color when viewed from every angle. Several technologies have been developed to address this issue; however, OLED televisions seem to be the best option in this regard.
Key companies involved in the global flat panel display market are Sony Corporation, AU Optronics Corp., Panasonic Corporation, Emerging Display Technologies Corp., LG Display Co. Ltd., Innolux Corp., Universal Display Corporation, Japan Display Inc., and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- Major companies in the market are focused on product launches, in order to expand product portfolio. For instance, in January 2020, Sony Corporation launched Bravia displays and a crystal LED display at ISE 2020.
- Key players in the market are involved in partnerships and collaborations, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, August 2019, Universal Display Corporation partnered with Eternal Material Technology Company to commercialize OLED host materials.