Germany nutritional supplements market was valued at US$ 4.86 Billion in 2022, and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 3.3%, over the forecast period (2023-2030) to reach US$ 6.28 Billion by 2030.
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market- Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
The COVID-19 positively impacted the Germany nutritional supplements market growth. COVID-19 delivers an 8% sales growth injection to Germany's supplements market in the first half of the year, accelerating a long-term expansion. Rising awareness about personal health and need for boosting immunity to fight against virus is boosting demand for nutritional supplements and medicines. Thus, several players operating across food, beverages, and pharmaceutical sectors have started to use this as an advantage benefits associated with nutrients for expanding their product portfolio and global reach. Also, rising number of health check-ups and distribution of immunity-boosting medicines, owing to increasing health-related consciousness among governing authorities has boosted the nutritional supplements market.
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Drivers
- Rising demand for organic and natural products: Growing demand for organic and natural products in Germany is expected to drive the Germany Nutritional supplements market growth. Consumers are well informed and aware of the ingredients and production processes of the products they use, which is why organic and natural alternatives are preferred. This change in consumer behavior is driving the Germany nutritional supplements market growth, as the manufacturers respond to this demand by offering a wider range of organic and natural options. Rising awareness of the health benefits of supplement consumption is expected to drive the market growth, as consumers seek to improve their overall well-being. As a result, the Germany Nutritional Supplements market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years. According to United States Department of Agriculture Report, Traditional food retail accounts for 60% of organic food sales in Germany, with the other 40% going to organic retail shops and specialty shops.
- Increasing demand for nutraceutical ingredients: Rising demand for nutraceutical ingredients is expected to drive the nutritional supplements market growth. Germany is one of the major contributors in Europe nutritional supplements market growth. Rising awareness among the populace and higher disposable income in the region, are factors expected to aid in the growth of the market. As per the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2022, the average household, net-adjusted disposable income per capita in Germany is US$ 34,297 per year.
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Segmentation
On the basis of form, the capsule segment dominated the Germany nutritional supplements market in 2022, accounting for around 34.6% of market share, in terms of revenue, followed by tablet. The exterior of the capsule is made from gelatin or starch that contains active ingredients. Capsules often support extended release their active ingredients slowly, which ensures slow and steady absorption of the nutrients or substances they contain.
Figure 1: Germany Nutritional Supplements Market, Revenue Share (%), By Form, 2022
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Restraints
- Possible side effects of Supplements: Nutritional supplements provide all the minerals and vitamins needed for skin, hair, and nails. However, such products often contain large doses of vitamins and minerals thatmay cause side effects. The possible side effects include constipation, diarrhoea, and other stomach problems. The inactive ingredients may also cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Nutritional supplements often contain multiple ingredients to support one or more health benefits that lead to high price of nutritional supplements. For instance, SugarBearHair vitamins by Kardashian cost US$ 32.96 on Amazon or around 55 cents per gummy, whereas the Flinstones multivitamin gummies cost 7 cents per gummy or US$ 12.99 on Amazon. Hence, high cost of nutritional supplements is also expected to hamper the market growth.
- Counterbalance: Nutritional supplements, though highly priced, still helps in improving and maintaining the health of any individual that lacks thedaily requirements of essential needed requirements, if consumed in correct proportion. For instance, calcium helps in building stronger bones in any person.
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2022:
||US$ 4.86 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 6.28 Bn
- By Ingredient: Vitamin, Protein, Fatty Acids, Botanical, Minerals, and Others
- By Form: Capsules, Powder, Tablet, Liquid, and Others
- By Product Type: Dietary Supplements, Sports Supplements, Beauty Supplements, and Others
- By Distribution Channel: Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Pharmacy Stores, Online Channels, and Others
Queisser Pharma GmbH & Company KG, Nutraceuticals Group, Dr.B.Scheffler Nachfolger GmbH & Co. KG , ZeinPharma Germany GmbH, Pamex Pharmaceuticals GmbH, Ayanda GmbH, Sabinsa Europe GmbH, Denk Pharma GmbH & Co. KG, and Pascoe Naturmedizin
- Rising demand for organic and natural products
- Increasing demand for nutraceutical ingredients
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Possible Sideffects of supplements
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Trends
- Rising demand for collagen products: Growing demand for collagen products in the Germany Nutritional Supplement Market can be attributed to several factors. Collagen is a popular ingredient because it can affect joint health, skin appearance, and overall well-being. As consumers prioritize wellness and beauty, anti-aging and vitality-promoting collagen products are gaining popularity. Germany's aging population is also contributing to growing demand for collagen supplements as collagen support the health of their joints and improve skin elasticity. The market trend of increasing demand for collagen in the Germany Nutritional Supplement sector is likely to continue as consumers become more aware of their overall health and appearance.
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Segmentation
Among the ingredient, vitamins segment dominated the Germany nutritional supplements market in 2022, accounting for 34.6% share, in terms of revenue, followed by others and proteins, respectively due to rising need for increasing vitamin intake among millennial population. This reflects the growing awareness in maintaining a balanced diet and addressing specific nutritional deficiencies. The growth of vitamins can be attributed to their essential role in supporting overall health and well-being. Vitamins and proteins highlights their significance in meeting specific dietary needs and fitness goals. The market's focus on these ingredients understanding the diverse demands and preferences of consumers regarding their nutritional supplement choices.
Figure 2: Germany Nutritional Supplements Market, Revenue Share (%), By Ingredient, 2022
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Key Developments
- On September 8, 2022, Cosmos Health, an international healthcare group, announced the launch of Sky Premium Life Products in Germany and Austria via Amazon and EBay.
- On August 02, 2023, Probiotic yogurts and yogurt drinks have gained popularity as key functional foods in Germany. Furthermore, the European Union's ban on antibiotics in the poultry industry presents an opportunity for probiotics to make a significant impact on the German poultry market.
- On January 17, 2022, Sana Health, a leading Germany-based nutritional supplements provider, announced at Arab Health 2022 held in Dubai World Trade Centre, that the company expanded its sales into international markets after achieving 10 years of strong sales growth in Europe.
Germany Nutritional Supplements Market: Key Companies
Key players operating in the Germany Nutritional Supplements market include Queisser Pharma GmbH & Company KG, Nutraceuticals Group, Dr. B. Scheffler Nachfolger GmbH & Co. KG, ZeinPharma Germany GmbH, Pamex Pharmaceuticals GmbH, Ayanda GmbH, Sabinsa Europe GmbH, Denk Pharma GmbH & Co. KG, and Pascoe Naturmedizin
*Definition: Nutritional supplements are products that are designed to supplement and improve nutrition. These provide important nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that may be lacking in a person's daily diet. These supplements are designed to support general health and well-being, and address specific health concerns or deficiencies. These are available in different forms including pills, powders, liquids, and capsules. It is important to note that nutritional supplements should not replace a balanced diet and are not intended to treat or prevent disease.