Programmable logic controller (PLC) is industrial computer control system that continuously monitors the state of input devices and makes decisions based upon custom program to control state of output devices. PLCs have become an essential device for automating manufacturing processes. Programmable logic controllers are used in various applications in industries such as the automobile industry, steel industry, energy sector, and chemical industry, among others. PLC is an electronic device used to monitor, control, and manage building systems, production processes, and power in industrial control systems. Programmable logic controller are designed to extremely robust, often capable of withstanding extreme vibration, humidity, temperatures, and electrical noise to meet the demand for harsh industrial environments.
Figure 1: Global Programmable Logic Controller Market Value (US$ Mn) Analysis and Forecast, 2017 - 2030
The global programmable logic controller market was valued at US$ 11.6 Bn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 18.3 Bn by 2030 at a CAGR of 5.4% between 2021 and 2030.
Figure 2: Global Programmable Logic Controller Market Share (%), By Region, 2021
North America held dominant position in the global programmable logic controller market in 2021, accounting for 38% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
- In February 2022, Casa Sauza, with the help of Festo, adopted Industry 4.0 methods to advance its automation of Tequila production in Mexico.
- In February 2021, Honeywell received a contract by Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCO) to supply connected control, telecommunications, safety, and security systems. This includes Honeywell's ControlEdge Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), Data Concentrator, Safety Manager SC and Experion Process Knowledge System (PKS) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system.
Programmable Logic Controller Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 11.6 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 18.3 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Type: Hardware and Software (Nano PLC, Small PLC, Medium PLC, Large PLC, and Others) and Services
- By End-User Industry: Food, Tobacco, and Beverage, Automotive, Chemical and Petrochemical, Energy and Utilities, Pulp and Paper, Oil and Gas, Water and Wastewater, and Pharmaceutical, among others
ABB Ltd, Toshiba International Corporation, Hitachi Ltd, Emerson Electric Company, Robert Bosch GmbH, Panasonic Corporation, Omron Corporation, Honeywell International Inc., Siemens AG, Rockwell Automation, Schneider Electric SE, and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Increase in industrial automation or the advent of Industry 4.0
- High demand for PLCs form various end-use industries
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Rise in prices of PLCs
- Lack of skilled professionals to operate PLC
- High demand for programmable logic controllers form various end-use industries is expected to augment growth of the programmable logic controller market over the forecast period. For instance, in July 2020, OTEK Corporation launched its HI-TBS programmable logic controller (PLC) that combines ultra-bright LED technology with 0.1% accuracy to deliver customizable digital panel meter for applicational use across a wide variety of industries.
- Increase in industrial automation or growing adoption of Industry 4.0 is expected to propel the growth of the programmable logic controller market during the forecast period. Industry 4.0 is revolutionizing the way companies manufacture, improve and distribute their products. With the advent of Industry 4.0, various industrial plants are embracing digital technologies to enhance, automate, and modernize the whole process, improving the performance of the plants.
- Increase in adoption of distributed control systems (DCS) is expected to hamper growth of the programmable logic controller market.
- Rise in prices of PLCs and lack of skilled professionals to operate PLC is also expected to hinder growth of the programmable logic controller market.
- Increasing demand for clean energy or increase in renewable energy capacity is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for players in the global programmable logic controller market. For instance, in March 2021, ABB reached the cumulative 5GW mark in delivering PLC based solar plant automation solutions in India. ABB’s SCADA system enables efficient operation of solar plants, allowing operators to seamlessly monitor and analyse power plants.
- Rapid growth of the automotive industry, especially in Asia Pacific, is also expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global programmable logic controller market. For instance, in the automobile manufacturing industry, PLCs are used to provide a flexible, rugged, & easily programmable controller to replace hard-wired relay logic systems. They have been widely adopted as high-reliability automation controllers suitable for harsh environments.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Introduction of novel products by market players is expected to aid in the growth of the programmable logic controller market. For instance, in May 2022, Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL) launched the indigenous state of the art Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) & Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) software for process automation systems at a function held in Homi J Bhabha Auditorium, ECIL.
- Market players are adopting various strategies to enhance their market position, which in turn is also expected to fuel growth of the programmable logic controller market. For instance, in February 2021, Rockwell Automation & FANUC America teamed up to initiate accelerated work and learn apprenticeship programs designed to upskill current and future workers for jobs in advanced manufacturing, robotics, and automation. The program offers the second level of credentials for Robot and PLC Technicians.
- ABB Ltd
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Schneider Electric SE
- Rockwell Automation
- Siemens AG
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Omron Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Emerson Electric Company
- Hitachi Ltd
- Toshiba International Corporation
The programmable logic controller comprises of the software, hardware and services. The main design of the programmable logic controller comprises of main compounds that are processor module, the I/O modules and the power supply.
With much of the benefits of automation, the organizations are now spending much in the automating manufacture process. This further leads to the huge requirement of the programmable logic controller process. Moreover, the pliability to use in a vast varieties of the operations. Hence, rising adoption of the automation is projected to drive the growth of the global programmable logic controller market.
On the other hand, to supply the need for the personalized products at a low budget and the customers inclining towards continual process with significant control method is anticipated to hinder the growth of the global programmable logic controller market.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global programmable logic controller market, and provides market size (US$ Billion) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR%) for the forecast period (2022–2030), considering 2021 as the base year
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players
- It profiles key players in the global programmable logic controller market based on the following parameters – company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include major players operating the global programmable logic controller market are Hitachi Ltd., Omron Corporation, Siemens AG, ABB Ltd., Rockwell Automation, Toshiba International Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, Robert Bosch GmbH, Emerson Electric Company and Honeywell International Inc.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics
- The global programmable logic controller market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global programmable logic controller market
- Global Programmable Logic Controller Market, By Type:
- Hardware and Software
- Nano PLC
- Small PLC
- Medium PLC
- Large PLC
- Other Types
- Global Programmable Logic Controller Market, By End-User Industry:
- Food, Tobacco, and Beverage
- Chemical and Petrochemical
- Energy and Utilities
- Pulp and Paper
- Oil and Gas
- Water and Wastewater
- Other End-user Industries
- Global Programmable Logic Controller Market, By Region:
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa