Surgical mask is a personal protective equipment (PPE) that acts as a mechanical barrier that interferes with direct airflow in and out of the respiratory orifices (such as mouth and nose). A surgical mask creates physical barrier between nose and mouth of the wearer and potential contaminants in the immediate environment. Surgical masks are disposable devices that cover mouth and nose during medical procedures. Moreover, it helps reduce airborne transmission of pathogens and other aerosolized contaminants. It is designed to protect wearer from inhaling airborne contaminants. For example, a face mask helps decrease coronavirus transmission and save lives. Thus, there is an increasing demand worldwide.
The global surgical masks market was valued at US$ 5,091.6 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 6,565.9 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 3.5% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global surgical masks market in 2021, accounting for 39.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Surgical Masks Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In January 2021, 3M increased its annual production rate of N95 respirators to about 2.5 billion units. In addition, since the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, the company has responded with cash and product donations, including surgical masks, respirators, and hand sanitizers, through global and local humanitarian aid partners.
In November 2020, Medline Industries, Inc. announced its plans to manufacture face masks in North America. The company estimates to produce around 36 million face masks per month once both the production lines are operational.
Surgical Masks Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 5,091.6 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 6,565.9 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product: Basic surgical masks, Anti-fog surgical masks, Fluid/splash resistant surgical masks, and Others
- By Distribution Channel: Online and Offline
- By Region: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, Middle East, and Africa
3M, Dynarex Corporation, AlphaProTech, Cardinal Health, Crosstex International, Inc., Medline Industries, Inc., O&M Halyard, Inc., Ansell Ltd., DuPont de Nemours, Inc., and Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Increasing number of surgical procedures
- The outbreak of COVID-19 (pandemic)
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Increasing number of surgical procedures around the world is expected to boost the growth of the global surgical masks market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2020, around 6.8 million reconstructive procedures, over 13.2 million cosmetic minimally invasive procedures, and around 2.3 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed in the United States.
- The outbreak of COVID-19 (pandemic) is expected to augment growth of the global surgical masks market over the forecast period. For instance, as per the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), wearing a face mask in public places has been shown to reduce the spread of COVID-19, because those who are pre-symptomatic can spread the virus before showing symptoms. However, some face masks are more effective than others.
Figure 2. Global Surgical Masks Market Share (%), by Type, 2021
- Increase in preference for minimally invasive surgeries is expected to hamper the growth of the global surgical masks market. For instance, rise in preference for less invasive surgeries are expected to reduce the usage of surgical apparels such as surgical masks and others in hospitals, during operative/surgical procedures.
- Adverse effect of surgical masks on the environment is expected to hinder the growth of the global surgical masks market. For instance, surgical masks have become an important source of PP-MP pollution in the coastal marine environment during the pandemic and will continue to be in the post-pandemic era, which may increase the risk of marine organisms for exposure to high concentration of MPs in seawater.
- Increasing demand for surgical masks across the globe due to the outbreak of COVID-19 is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global surgical masks market. For instance, in January 2021, Heartland Health announced the launch of a new style of surgical face masks to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S., eradicating harmful airborne pathogens before they are inhaled to stop disease spread.
- Growing healthcare industry in emerging economies like India is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global surgical masks market. For instance, In Union Budget 2022-23, the Indian Government allocated around US$ 11.28 billion to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). The government is also planning to introduce a credit incentive programme worth US$ 6.8 billion to boost the country’s healthcare infrastructure.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increase in emphasis on the use of PPE, such as surgical masks, is expected to drive growth of the global surgical masks market. For instance, wearing face masks is recommended as part of personal protective equipment and as a public health measure to curb the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) pandemic.
- Technological integration in the process of surgical masks making is expected to propel the growth of the global surgical masks market. For instance, in June 2021, KARAM launched IS certified 3 Ply surgical face mask. The mask has been designed to offer maximum protection to healthcare workers and consumers. The certified K-Air mask ensures comfort and ultimate protection. With excellent filtration, RFM 50 Surgical Face Mask provides complete protection to its customers in the healthcare sector with quality, comfort, and affordability.
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
- Ansell Ltd
- O&M Halyard, Inc.
- Medline Industries, Inc
- Cardinal Health.
- Crosstex International, Inc.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation.
- Dynarex Corporation
A surgical mask, or medical face mask, is often used by healthcare professionals as it serves as a physical barrier between the nose and mouth of the wearer and potential contaminants in the immediate environment. Surgical masks often used during a surgical/medical procedure. They are designed to protect wearer from inhaling airborne contaminants. Moreover, they are used to prevent the spread of disease. They prevent the spread of infection or disease between sick and well persons. Worldwide, the usage of face mask has also increased due to the outbreak of COVID-19 (ongoing global pandemic).
Increasing number of surgical/medical procedures and outbreak of COVID-19 across the globe is expected to aid in the growth of the global surgical masks market during the forecast period. For instance, as per the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), worldwide, a staggering 310 million major surgeries are performed each year; around 40 to 50 million in the United States and 20 million in Europe.
Moreover, with the increasing cases of COVID-19, the demand for or use of surgical masks is also increasing with the rapid pace. In January 2021, Heartland Health launched a new style of surgical face masks to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the United States. Heartland Health’s face masks have an internal filter that surpasses the surgical and N95 mask filtration standards, eradicating harmful airborne pathogens before they are inhaled to stop disease spread.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global surgical masks market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and 2021 as the explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global surgical masks market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Crosstex International, Inc., 3M, Dynarex Corporation, AlphaProTech, Cardinal Health, Medline Industries, Inc., O&M Halyard, Inc., Ansell Ltd., DuPont de Nemours, Inc., and Kimberly-Clark Corporation.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global surgical masks market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global surgical masks market.
- Global Surgical Masks Market, By Product:
- Basic surgical masks
- Anti-fog surgical masks
- Fluid/splash resistant surgical masks
- Global Surgical Masks Market, By Distribution Channel:
- Global Surgical Masks Market, By Region:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East