Anti-static packaging materials are used for storing electronic component, which are prone to damaged caused by Electrostatic Discharge (ESD). Anti-static bags are made from plastic such as Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) and have two distinctive color, silver for metallized film and pink or black for polyethylene. Anti-static packaging material are used to prevent electrostatic or static electricity from damaging electronic items during transportation.
Increasing demand for anti-static packaging material among the consumers due to its applications in electronics industry is expected to be a major factor driving growth of the global anti-static packaging material market over the forecast period. Anti-static packaging material are used in electronic products to prevent build-up of static charge.
However, volatile cost of raw material is one of the major restraining factor for growth of the global anti-static packaging material market.
- Among product type, anti-static bag segment held a significant market share in the global anti-static packaging material market in 2017, owing to increasing demand for its applications in electronics industry. Major application of anti-static bag is packaging. Computer components and items of a similar nature can be easily damaged by static discharge. Anti-static bags and poly film are used for the additional coverage of a new surface to maintain a static-free environment for electronic products.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region in the global Anti-static packaging materials market over the forecast period due to increasing demand for anti-static packaging material in pharmaceutical industry in Asia Pacific region. Anti-statics bag ensure that there is no electrostatic charge present inside the bag used for packaging of bulk drugs manufactured by the pharmaceutical industries. Also, these bags are lightweight and have high load bearing capacity. According to India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the pharmaceutical sector in India accounted for 2.4% of the global pharmaceutical industry in terms of value in 2017, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 12.89% during 2015 to 2020.
Key players operating in the global anti-static packaging material market include Daklapack Group, Sharp Packaging Systems, Polyplus Packaging Ltd., Protective Packaging Corporation Inc., Sekisui Chemical GmbH, Esdwork CO, LTD., Automated Packaging Systems, Inc., Cir-Q-Tech Tako Technologies, MARUAI Inc., and LPS Industries.
- In 2018, Ampacet Corporation launched two antistatic additives for packaging applications. These antistatic additives are for food & industrial packaging applications even in dry conditions.
- In August 2017, Uflex Limited launched low opacity anti-static twist wrap polyester film. The material used by the company is bi-axially oriented polyethylene terephthalate (BOPET). The film is translucent and has good gloss.
- In September 2017, Clariant, a specialty chemical company announced the launch of amine-free anti-static masterbatch concentrate for polyethylene films used in pharmaceutical applications. The new additive masterbatch concentrate is part of MEVOPUR, the brand of 'Controlled, Consistent and Compliant' products for plastics applications in the medical and pharmaceutical industries.
- In December 2017, Croda International Plc acquired IonPhasE, which is provider of ange anti-static additives to prevent damage to electrical components, increase the safety of chemical and food packaging.
On the basis of material, the global anti-static packaging materials market is segmented into:
- Polyethylene (PE)
- Polyurethane (PU)
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
On the basis of product type, the global anti-static packaging materials market is segmented into:
- Others (Tubes and Stretch Film)
On the basis of end-use Industry, the global anti-static packaging materials market is segmented into:
- Personal Care and Cosmetics
On the basis of region, the global anti-static packaging materials market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East