Beer is the most widely consumed alcoholic drink across the world. This drink is generally brewed from cereal grains such as maize, rice, and wheat. Moreover, beer is brewed with hops that adds bitterness, stability, and flavor to the beer. Other flavoring agents such as herbs, fruits, and gruit can also be added instead of hops.
The growth of this market is attributed to rise in consumer preference for beer over other alcoholic drinks. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2016, beer accounted for around 36% of the total alcohol consumption. This is further attributed to high consumption of beer among young people. Therefore, major players are focusing on launching new products to meet the rising demand. For instance, in 2018, MillerCoors Company, introduced a new light beer line named Two Hats, which features the pineapple and lime flavors, targeting the young population.
However, high excise duties and taxations on imported and local beer are key factors restraining growth of the global beer market. For instance, for imported beer in Switzerland, an individual subjected to customs is liable to pay beer excise tax, which includes US$ 17.85 per hectoliter of light beer, US$ 26.78 per hectoliter of regular beer, and US$ 35.71 per hectoliter of strong beer. Moreover, rising health concerns among the populace is expected to further restrain the growth of global beer market.
Global Beer Market Taxonomy:
Global Beer market is segmented into:
By Product Type:
- Stouts & Porters
- Regular Beer
- Premium Beer
- Super Premium Beer
- Bottled Beer
- Canned Beer
- Draught Beer
Lager type segment dominated the beer market in 2016, owing to its high acceptance rate over other types of beer by consumers. Therefore, major players are focusing on launching new lager beers to fulfil the growing demand. For instance, in 2016, Kopparbergs, a Swedish brewery and cider company expanded its portfolio in the fruit-beer by launching the Kopparberg fruit lager in lemon and lime flavor. This beer undergoes traditional lagering process and does not contain hops, instead contains fruit juice of lime and lemon.
Global Beer Market Outlook:
- Asia Pacific region dominated the global beer market in 2016 and is expected to retain its dominance over the forecast period. This is due to the increase in expenditure and changing lifestyle of people in this region. India and China are projected to be the growth engines in the region. In 2017, B9 Beverages Pvt. Ltd. expanded its beer portfolio by launching two variants namely; Bira 91 Light and Bira 91 Strong in India. Bira 91 light, is one of the low calorie alcoholic beverage having calorie lower than a glass of breezer, cocktails or champagne. Bira 91 strong is a high intensity wheat beer having 7% alcohol, as large portion of beer sold in India is strong having more than 5% alcohol.
- Europe is expected to be the second largest region in terms of revenue growth in the global beer market, owing to rampant increase in consumption of beer in this region. This is owing to the consumption habits of alcoholic drinks and popularity of beer among the younger generation. According to Brewers of Europe, the EU beer consumption rose from 35.25 billion liters in 2014 to 35.91 billion liters in 2016.
- North America region is projected to exhibit significant growth in the global beer market. In 2017, one of the leading U.S. beer brand Samuel Adams reformulated one of its flagship beers, Rebel IPA with a hop variety, which has more tropical, juicy, and citrus flavor. Moreover, in 2012, Anheuser-Busch InBev planned to launch 19 products in the U.S., which included small-batch craft brews, a cider, and an expanded malt beverage lineup, to further meet the growing demand of the region.
Major players in the market are focusing on mergers, acquisitions, and new product launches in order to enhance their business in the competitive market. For instance, in 2016, Department of Justice approved merger between the world’s largest beer companies Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI) and SABMiller Plc. This resulting conglomerate was expected to control around 46% of the global beer profits.
Major players in global beer market include Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg Group, Beijing Enterprises Holdings Limited, The Boston Beer Company Inc., Heineken N.V., Dogfish Head Brewery, Diageo Plc., Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Tsingtao Brewery Co. Ltd, Oettinger Brauerei, and The Molson Coors Brewing Company among others.
- Year 2018; Product Launch/Service: Miller Coors Company, introduced a new light beer line “Two Hats”, targeting the young population by featuring the new pineapple and lime flavors.
- Year 2018; Product Launch/Service: European beer manufacturer, AB InBev launched a new product “golden Italian craft lager Lisa” in the United Kingdom.
- Oct 2018; Product Launch/Service Planters launched a new beer “Mr. IPA-Nut” on National Beer Day. The company introduced the craft beer to make a unique citrus aroma
- May 2019; Merger/ Acquisition: Heineken acquired substantial stake of Biela Ecuador through a group of homegrown investors. It will help Heineken to move into Ecuadorian beer market.