Directional drilling refers to a process of drilling a well with a preferred deviation to reach the target location. This type of drilling is done for placing the wellbore precisely to get maximum recovery both on land and offshore regions. The main aim of this type of drilling is to cover large areas by the use of the single rig. Maturing and aging onshore oilfields has paved paths to increasing directional drilling in the onshore regions supported by offshore exploration and production activities in deep and ultra-deep regions over the past few decades. This is further backed by augmenting horizontal drilling services to maximize the productivity of the oil and gas well.
Please click below for information on the published report,
The increase in energy demand, urbanization, industrialization, increase in exploration, production activities, and various other factors have led to an increase in demand and growth for the directional drilling services market. Declining prices of crude oil stand are the major restraint in the directional drilling services market globally. Stringent government regulations further hinder the growth of the directional drilling services market.
know more about the Directional Drilling Solutions & Services Market
Global Directional Drilling Services Market Taxonomy
On the basis type, the global directional drilling services market is segmented as:
- Rotary Steerable System (RSS)
On the basis of service, the global directional drilling services market is segmented as:
- Measurement While Drilling (MWD) and Survey
- Logging While Drilling (LWD)
On the basis of technology, the global directional drilling services include:
- Wellbore Positioning
- Side Tracking
- Automated Drilling Systems
- Well Planning
- Torque & Drag Analysis
On the basis of application, the global directional drilling services market is segmented as:
Conventional directional drilling services are anticipated to be the dominant market over the forecast period.
The MWD and Survey are anticipated to be the dominant segment in the directional drilling services market, owing to its application in controlling the trajectory of the well while drilling. These techniques are anticipated to have wide use over the forecast period in North America and the Asia Pacific.
The onshore segment is the dominant segment of the directional drilling services market, owing to the maturing and aging onshore fields. However, offshore oilfield activities are witnessed to be at the fastest growing pace due to the development of new projects on deep and ultra-deep waters in the last few decades.
Global Directional Drilling Services Market Outlook
- North America region is witnessed to be the largest market in the directional drilling services, owing to the shale gas revolution and increase in E&P in the Gulf of Mexico. Shale gas exploration and production activities have taken major hike in economies such as the U.S. and Canada, which is immensely boosting the directional drilling services market in this region. Advancement in technology namely long horizontal wellbores and other completion techniques are fueling the growth of the directional drilling market in this region. E&P activities from oil sands and tight reservoirs in Canada have further boosted the directional drilling services market in this region. Moreover, according to the U.S Energy Information Administration, 77 percent of the wells in America were horizontal in 2015.
- The Middle East region is anticipated to have a significant market in the directional drilling services market, owing to the new discoveries in the oilfield and augment in energy demand in this region. Almansoori is one of the largest companies that provide directional drilling services providing 800 wells in this region.
- The Asia Pacific is witnessed to have a high growth rate in the directional drilling services market. The growth of this region is driven by the increase in E&P activities in emerging economies such as China and India. Therefore, major players such as Africa and the Middle East are looking for investment opportunities in this region.
The major companies in the global directional drilling services include Halliburton Company, Weatherford International Plc., Schlumberger Limited, Nabors Industries Ltd., National Oilwell Varco, Cathedral Energy Services Ltd., Baker Hughes Incorporated, General Electric Oil & Gas, and Jindal Drilling & Industries Limited.
Global Directional Drilling Services Market Key Developments:
- In May 2017, Halliburton Company has announced that it launched drilling operations in the Zhuravlinaya area of the Vostochno-Taimyrsky license block for Lukoil. This launch was commenced to maximize the asset value of the company in the Vostochno-Taimyrsky block.
- On 12th March 2018, Nabors Industries announced the introduction of its Navigator software, which was developed for making the directional drilling faster, accurate, and efficient for placing their walls in the target zone. Moreover, the software automatically documents, evaluates and identifies the areas of improvement in terms of the directional drilling decisions.
- On 1ST October 2019, Schlumberger Limited introduced the NeoSteer, at-bit steerable system (ABSS) at Society of Petroleum Engineers Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (SPE ATCE). This launch was to improve the horizontal well drilling performance by providing increasing the rate of penetration in the curve and the lateral.