Geocells, also known as Cellular Confinement Systems (CCS), are three dimensional structures with interconnected cells, which resemble a honeycomb-like structure. Geocells are devised by joining swathe/stripes of High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE) at equal length. It should configure a honeycomb pattern as swathe are perpendicularly pulled apart then it can be filled with soil/granular material or sometime concrete. three dimensional confinement of geocells membrane increase load bearing capacity of loose/weak soil base. Geocells are used for various purposes such as soil stabilization, load support, and retaining walls. They are used in road construction to reduce pavement thickness and also to increase the life span of pavements, particularly in unconsolidated soil.
- Growing construction industry is a major driver boosting demand for geocells. Geocells are widely used in infrastructural development activities such as construction of express highways, rail tracks, water dams, and airports. Construction of such heavy structures over unconsolidated soil is challenging and unreliable and can be addressed by improving the engineering properties of the soil with the help of geocells. Furthermore, increasing awareness about sustainable infrastructural development is expected to propel demand for geocells. For instance, according to Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), in 2017, the global construction industry was valued at US$ 10.8 trillion and is expected to reach US$ 17.5 trillion by 2030 with average global construction growth rate of 3.9%, annually.
- Erosion control blanket is another application of geocells that is used for prevention of soil erosion and water erosion. According to a study published by Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) in June 2015, soil erosion has reached a level that endangers the sustainable supply of food for the global population, especially in India where, 147 mH (million hectares ) out of 328 million hectares is undergoing soil degradation. To overcome this problem, various schemes and initiatives are taken by Government of India in public and private partnership such as Integrated Watershed Management Program (IWMP). Therefore, increasing soil erosion worldwide is expected to boost demand for geocells.
- The Geocell market in emerging economies such as China, India, and Brazil is expected to grow at the highest CAGR, owing to rapid growth of the construction industry in these economies. According to the Global Construction 2030 perspective and Oxford Economies, in 2016, the global construction industry was valued at US$ 9.5 trillion which expected to grow by 85% to US$ 17.5 trillion by 2030 with China, the U.S., and India accounting for 57% of the global share. Moreover, according to India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), India is expected to overtake Japan as the third largest construction market by 2025, growing at a rate of 7.4%, annually.
- Africa is expected to witness significant growth in the market for geocells, owing to increasing awareness and government initiatives regarding water and soil conservation. African Forest Landscape Restoration is an initiative, which is funded by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development and the World Resources Institute. The initiative focuses on bringing 100 million hectares of degraded forest landscapes into the process of restoration by 2030.
Key players in Global geocells Market:-
- Key players operating in the global geocells market include, Fiberweb plc. Geocel Limited, TMP Geosynthetics, Anhui Huifeng New Synthetic Materials Co., Ltd., Enviro Pro Tech, Inc., Strata Geosystems (India) Pvt. Ltd, PRESTORUS, Roofiran Mashhad Branch, GeoGlobe Europe LTD, AHED Plastic Industry and Trade Company, and others
On the basis of product type, the global geocells market is segmented into:
- Textured HDPE Geocell
- Smooth HDPE Geocell
On the basis of application, the global geocells market is segmented into:
- Soil Stabilization
- Soil Erosion Control
- Channel Wall Protection
- Retaining walls
- Geomembrane protection
- Load support/Tree root protection
- Slope protection
- Road verge control
On the basis of end-use industry, the global geocells market is segmented into:
On the basis of region, the global plywood market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East