A geomembrane is fluid-repellent synthetic thin sheet of rubber or plastic, which predominantly works as liquid or vapor barrier. It is used primarily for linings and covers of liquid or solid storage and in waste disposal facilities. A geomembrane plays vital role in industrial and commercial applications due to is mechanical properties such as tear impact and puncture resistance, stress cracking, tensile strength, and elongation.
- Increasing municipal and industrial waste worldwide is a key factor driving demand for geomembrane in the waste management industry and municipal corporations. For instance, according to The World Bank, the worldwide annual municipal waste generation was 2.01 billion tons in 2016 and is expected to reach 3.4 billion in 2046
- Furthermore, significant growth in agriculture and fish farming or pisciculture is expected to propel growth of the geomembrane market. For instance, according to Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of United Nations, production of fish farm is expected to contribute nearly two thirds of India’s fish supply by 2030. Moreover, India is the world’s third largest fish producer. In 2016, India’s fish production was pegged at 10.8 million tons, which is expected to reach 13.4 million tons by 2030.
- The geomembrane market in Asia Pacific is expected to witness significant growth, owing to rapid industrialization and established mining industries. For instance, according to China Gold Association and China International Mining Group, China is one of the largest producer of minerals, gold, copper, and iron ore, as the country supplies around 70% of the world’s iron ore and 40% of copper demand. Moreover, according to a report published by Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) in 2016, the total number of mining industries in China was around 1,70,000 (middle and large size) and the mining industry in the country is growing with an average contribution rate of 5 % to annual GDP.
- In 2017, Groupe Solmax acquired GSE Environmental, Inc. (manufacturer of geosynthetic products including geomembranes). The acquisition will help Solmax to expand its manufacturing capacity and strengthen its global distribution network.
- In February 2018, Atarfil acquired Garden City Geotech Pty. Ltd (Australia based manufacturer of HDPE geomembranes). The acquisition will help Atarfil to expand its product portfolio and increase its presence in Australian market.
- In 2017, Atarfil started its new manufacturing plant in Virginia, U.S. The new manufacturing plant will produce HDPE and LLDPE geomembranes. The company aims to expand its presence in North America.
- In 2017, Raven Industries, Inc. acquired Colorado Lining International, Inc. Colorado Lining is a geosynthetic contractor offering geomembrane fabrication & installation. The acquisition will help Raven Industries to expand its product offerings in geomembrane business.
Key Players in the Global geomembrane Market:-
- Key players operating in the global geomembrane market include, Groupe Solmax, NAUE Group, AGRU America, Inc., Carlisle SynTec Systems, Sotrafa S.A., Atarfil, Alpharetta, TDM Group, Aquatan, RAVEN, and others
On the basis of product type, the global geomembrane market is segmented into:
- Thermoplastic Polymers
- Polyvinyl Chloride (ex: PVC),
- Polyethylene (ex: HDPE, LLDPE)
- Thermoset Polymers (Elastomers)
- Thermoplastic Elastomers
- Prefabricated Bituminous
- Spray Applied Polymer
- Spray Applied Bitumin
- Geosynthetic Clay Liners
On the basis of application, the global geomembrane market is segmented into:
- Municipal Waste Liners and Covers
- Mining / Industrial Containment
- Water Reservoirs / Covers
- Water Conveyance (Canals)
- Earth/Rock/Concrete Dams
- Specialty Applications
On the basis of end-use industry, the global geomembrane market is segmented into:
- Construction and Manufacturing
- Agriculture and Fishery
On the basis of region, the global geomembrane market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East