Potassium metabisulfite also called as potassium pyrosulfite having molecular formula K2S2O5 is a white colored crystalline powder with a pungent odor of sulphur. It is mainly used as a chemical sterilant or an antioxidant. Potassium metabisulfite decomposes at 190 degrees, yielding potassium sulfite and sulfur dioxide. Potassium metabisulfite and sodium metabisulfite have similar properties. Sodium metabisulfite can be used as substitute for potassium metabisulfite. Potassium metabisulfite is important additive in wine fermentation and brewing industry. It acts as a preservative and inhibits the growth of pathogens, such as fungi and bacteria. It has applications in textile industry, such as dyeing and cotton printing.
Increasing demand for food and beverage industry is a major driving factor for the growth of potassium metabisulfite market. The increasing consumption of alcoholic beverages is boosting the growth of the potassium metabisulfite market. Adverse effects of potassium metabisulfite on skin and the restriction on alcoholic beverages in some economies is restraining the growth of the potassium metasulfite market.
Potassium Metabisulfite Market Taxonomy:
On basis of Product type, the global potassium metabisulfite market is segmented as:
- Food Grade
- Medical Grade
- Industry Grade
On basis of Application, the global potassium metabisulfite market is segmented as:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Gold processing
Potassium Metabisulfite Market outlook:
- Europe is the largest consumer of potassium metabisulfite market, owing to the high intake of alcoholic beverages in this region, in turn fueling the growth of potassium metabisulfite market. Italy, France, and Turkey accounts for the highest usage of potassium metabisulphide in this region. Increasing demand for frozen food is propelling the growth of potassium metabisulfite market. Italy and Germany accounts for the highest number of breweries in the region. The approval by the European Food and Safety Authority (EFSA) has increased the use of Potassium matabisulfite as a food preservative and in the beverage industry.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region in potassium metabisulfite market, owing to the increase in number of food and beverage industry in emerging economies. Application of potassium metabisulfite as a food preservative has boosted the growth of potassium metabisulfite market in this region. Increasing per capita income, demand for frozen food and high alcohol intake by the growing population has augmented potassium metabisulfite market in this region.
- North America region is the second largest consumer of potassium metabisulfite. Increasing demand for alcoholic beverages to cope up with low temperature has boosted the growth of Potassium metabisulfite market in this region. North America has the world’s largest textile industry. The trade agreements, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and Caribbean Basin Initiative has boosted the textile industry in the region and adding to the demand for Potassium metabisulfate.
- Africa and the Middle East contributes minimum share in the potassium metabisulfite market, owing to the restrictions for production of alcoholic beverages in some economies of this region.
The major players are adopting various organic and inorganic growth strategies. For instance, in 2017 Asahi group acquired Peroni Brewery in Italy. Major players operating the potassium metabisulfide market include Imperial Chemical Industries, Aditya Birla Chemicals, Murphy and Son Ltd., Laffort, Avantor Performance Materials Inc., Alfa Aesar, Esseco, Imperial Oilfield Chemicals, BASF S.E., and Wego Chemicals
Potassium Metabisulfite Market: Key Developments
- In 2017, Asahi Group Holdings also acquired beer businesses in five Central Eastern European countries (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and Romania), including the globally renowned Czech brand, “Pilsner Urquell”.
- In 2016, Asahi Group Holdings acquired “Peroni” in Italy and “Grolsch” in the Netherlands, along with Craft beer “Meantime”.
- In 2011, Aditya Birla Chemicals (Thailand) Limited. (Sulphites. Div.), Saraburi, Thailand is indulged in providing food grade Potassium Metabisulphite. This was majorly used in Wine industry for prevent growing of microorganisms, potent antioxidant, protecting color and delicate flavors of wine. It is also used in beer industry for inhibit the growth of wild yeasts, bacteria and fungi, remove chloramines which can cause phenolic off flavors in beer.